Venus Locker ransomware is a hazardous virus, which was made to encrypt and deny access to your own files. Similar to most ransom virus, this threat will encrypt files using RSA-4096 algorithm, which is quite hard to decode. It turns target file inaccessible by appending file names with .venusf extension. Next, this ransomware will demand payment before it restores encrypted files. Venus Locker will insist user to pay $100 or its equivalent to Bitcoin currency.
Generally, Venus Locker virus sets foot on the computer with the assistance of another Malware, Trojan, or Virus. It takes advantages of system flaws and software vulnerabilities to gain access. Venus Locker is also capable of concealing its presence from anti-virus program, thus, it remains undetected inside the computer most of the time.
Once inside the computer, Venus Locker searches the hard drive for target files like images, video, music, documents, spreadsheet, and so on. After encrypting files on the computer, it changes the desktop wallpaper and display the following message:
You are hacked
Your personal files are encrypted
To decrypt and recover all your files, you need to pay 100 US dollars for decryption service.
System Restore of Windows may help in resolving issues with viruses and malware. However, it will not settle problems with encrypted files. If your computer is running on Windows Vista/7 or later, perhaps ‘Previous Versions’ may help restore files from backup.
How to Remove Venus Locker Ransomware
Ransomware files are placed deeply into the system and on various locations, thus, thorough scanning is vital to totally remove Venus Locker Ransomware virus. Aside from our suggested tool, you may also run your own security program.
Though affected files may be impossible to decrypt due to complexity of the encryption, you can still try recovery method like Shadow Explorer or Previous Version as described below.
Stage 1: Scan the Computer with ESET Rogue Application Remover (ERAR)
1. Download the free scanner called ESET Rogue Application Remover.
Download Link for ERAR (this will open a new window)
2. Choose appropriate version for your Windows System. Save the file to a convenient location, preferably on Desktop.
3. After downloading the file, Windows will prompt that download has completed. Click Run to start the program. Another option is to browse the location folder and double click on the file ERARemover_.exe.
4. On ESET Rogue Application Remover SOFTWARE LICENSE TERMS, click Accept to continue.
5. The tool will start scanning the computer. It will prompt when it finds Venus Locker Ransomware virus and other malicious entities. Follow the prompt to proceed with the removal.
Stage 2: Double-check for Venus Locker Ransomware’s leftover with Microsoft’s Malicious Software Removal Tool
1. Download the free scanner called Malicious Software Removal Tool.
Malicious Software Removal Tool Download Link (this will open a new window)
2. The tool automatically checks the operating system and suggest appropriate download version. Click on Download button to begin. Save the file to a convenient location, preferably on Desktop.
3. After downloading the file, Windows will prompt that download has completed. Click Run to start scanning for Venus Locker Ransomware. Another option is to browse the location folder and double click on the file to run.
4. The tool will display Welcome screen, click Next. Please note the message “This tool is not a replacement for an antivirus product.” You must understand that this program is made specifically to find and remove malware, viruses, Trojans, and other harmful elements on the computer. It was not designed to protect the computer.
5. Next, you will see Scan Type. Please choose Full Scan to ensure that all Venus Locker Ransomware virus entities and other harmful files left on the computer will be found and removed. For advanced computer user, you can opt for Customized Scan, if there are other drives or folders you wanted to include in this scan.
6. Full scan may take a while, please wait for Malicious Software Removal Tool to complete the tasks. However, you may cancel the scan anytime by clicking on the Cancel button.
7. After scanning, the tool will reveal all identified threats. There may be other threats that our first scan fails to detect. Please remove/delete all detected items.
8. When removal procedure is complete, you may now close Malicious Software Removal Tool. We hope that Venus Locker Ransomware have been completely deleted from the computer. Please restart Windows to proceed with the normal operation.
Stage 3 : Unlocking files that were encrypted by Venus Locker Ransomware
Option 1: Windows Previous Version Tool
Windows Vista and Windows 7 have a feature called Previous Versions. However, this tool is only usable if restore point was made prior to Venus Locker Ransomware virus infection. To use this tool and recover files affected by the virus, please follow these steps:
1. Open My Computer or Windows Explorer.
2. Right-click on the affected files or folders. From the drop-down list, please click on Restore previous versions.
3. New window will open display all backup copy of files and folders you wanted to recover. Choose the appropriate file and click on Open, Copy, or Restore. Restoring selected files overwrites the current encrypted files on the computer.
Option 2: Use ShadowExplorer to restore files encrypted by Venus Locker Ransomware
Just like Previous Version tool, ShadowExplorer is taking advantage of shadow copy created by Windows. This tool allows you to retrieve older version of files before it was encrypted by Venus Locker Ransomware.
1. Download ShadowExplorer from the official web site.
2. Install the program with the default settings.
3. The program should run automatically after installation. If not, double-click on ShadowExplorer icon.
4. You can see the drop-down list on top of the console. Please select proper drive and the most recent point-in-time shadow copies of files you wish to restore prior to Venus Locker Ransomware infection.
5. Right-click on the Drive, Folder, or File you wish to restore and click Export…
6. Lastly, ShadowExplorer will prompt for location where you want to save the copy of recovered files.