Trojan:Win32/Crilock.A is a Trojan that encrypts files on the computer and demands payment for the private key in order to decrypt them. In most cases, security experts tagged this threat as Ransomware. It is a malicious program that locks the PC or its contents in order to gain profit from worrying victim.
Trojan:Win32/Crilock.A is a specific detection by Microsoft Security Essentials to a malware known as CryptoLocker. It spreads through social engineering scheme and intends to reach many computer users through this method. Spam email messages with malicious file attached are also seen another way to deploy Trojan:Win32/Crilock.A globally.
Once computer is infected, user’s access to computer’s content will be limited. The Trojan states that files are encrypted and payment is required to restore them back to usable state. In some cases, user may only observe errors message when opening file.
“Cannot open the file … because the file format or extension is not valid. Verify, that the file has not been corrupted and that the file extension matches the format of the file.”
Since sources of Trojan:Win32/Crilock.A is identified, it is vital to take extra caution when opening links from social media web sites. It is also important to scan attached files to email messages before opening them.
Other security and antivirus programs may detect Trojan:Win32/Crilock.A as:
Ransomer.CEL, Gen:Variant.Kazy.243236, Win32/Filecoder.BQ, Trojan-Ransom.Win32.Blocker.cfwh, Trojan.Ransom, RDN/Ransom!dp, Artemis!04FB36199787, Trj/CI.A, Troj/Ransom-ABV, WS.Reputation.1, TROJ_RANSOM.NS
How to Remove Trojan:Win32/Crilock.A
Ransomware files are placed deeply into the system and on various locations, thus, thorough scanning is vital to totally remove Trojan:Win32/Crilock.A virus. Aside from our suggested tool, you may also run your own security program.
Though affected files may be impossible to decrypt due to complexity of the encryption, you can still try recovery method like Shadow Explorer or Previous Version as described below.
Stage 1: Scan the Computer with ESET Rogue Application Remover (ERAR)
1. Download the free scanner called ESET Rogue Application Remover.
Download Link for ERAR (this will open a new window)
2. Choose appropriate version for your Windows System. Save the file to a convenient location, preferably on Desktop.
3. After downloading the file, Windows will prompt that download has completed. Click Run to start the program. Another option is to browse the location folder and double click on the file ERARemover_.exe.
4. On ESET Rogue Application Remover SOFTWARE LICENSE TERMS, click Accept to continue.
5. The tool will start scanning the computer. It will prompt when it finds Trojan:Win32/Crilock.A and other malicious entities. Follow the prompt to proceed with the removal.
Stage 2: Double-check for Trojan:Win32/Crilock.A’ leftover with Microsoft’s Malicious Software Removal Tool
1. Download the free scanner called Malicious Software Removal Tool.
Malicious Software Removal Tool Download Link (this will open a new window)
2. The tool automatically checks the operating system and suggest appropriate download version. Click on Download button to begin. Save the file to a convenient location, preferably on Desktop.
3. After downloading the file, Windows will prompt that download has completed. Click Run to start scanning for Trojan:Win32/Crilock.A. Another option is to browse the location folder and double click on the file to run.
4. The tool will display Welcome screen, click Next. Please note the message “This tool is not a replacement for an antivirus product.” You must understand that this program is made specifically to find and remove malware, viruses, Trojans, and other harmful elements on the computer. It was not designed to protect the computer.
5. Next, you will see Scan Type. Please choose Full Scan to ensure that all Trojan:Win32/Crilock.A entities and other harmful files left on the computer will be found and removed. For advanced computer user, you can opt for Customized Scan, if there are other drives or folders you wanted to include in this scan.
6. Full scan may take a while, please wait for Malicious Software Removal Tool to complete the tasks. However, you may cancel the scan anytime by clicking on the Cancel button.
7. After scanning, the tool will reveal all identified threats. There may be other threats that our first scan fails to detect. Please remove/delete all detected items.
8. When removal procedure is complete, you may now close Malicious Software Removal Tool. We hope that Trojan:Win32/Crilock.A have been completely deleted from the computer. Please restart Windows to proceed with the normal operation.