TheSearchGuard is an unwanted Google Chrome extension that may invade the browser by strange file downloads. This type of ad-supported application is normally spread over the internet with the use of shareware or freeware. Installation of TheSearchGuard is without user’s full authorization in most instances. This is because freeware are using stealthy techniques to load the unwanted program.
Once installed, TheSearchGuard makes immediate adjustment on settings of Google Chrome. It replaces the default search tool with own code. Thus, all search queries are diverted to srch_s.thesearchguard.com before revealing the actual results on Yahoo Search. The redirects carried out by TheSearchGuard are in suspicion of data gathering and collecting keywords and vital online information. Attackers can misuse gathered data, either sell or utilize it to improve advertising presence on victim’s computer.
TheSearchGuard is endorsed as browser extension that makes ones online search more private. However, the way we see it, makers of this program are exploiting naïve online users for their own profitable deeds. Thus, it is advice to remove TheSearchGuard as soon as possible using the guide on this page. Never entrust your online privacy and security to nameless service provider such as TheSearchGuard.
To avoid same attack, refrain from downloading free programs from dubious sources. As much as possible, obtain programs only from official websites. Also, never click on pop-up ads and suspicious links, as they are the common sources of homepage hijacker like TheSearchGuard.
Online Security Scanner Report for thesearchguard.com:
|Not yet tested||Feedback: No data||Updated: Mar. 22, 2018|
|Currently Safe||Feedback: No data||Updated: Mar. 22, 2018|
How to Remove TheSearchGuard
This section contains comprehensive guide to help you remove threats from the affected computer.
Procedures on this page are written in a manner that can be easily understand and execute by computer users.
Step 1 : Use Add/Remove program of Windows to Uninstall TheSearchGuard
The main cause of homepage hijacking and browser redirect could be software that you may have installed on the computer. We need to uninstall the culprit program.
1. Click Windows Start button. Next, select Control Panel from the list. Alternatively, press Windows key + R on keyboard and run appwiz.cpl command.
2. Find the ‘Programs‘ area and click on Uninstall a program. This opens up a window showing existing software installed.
3. Look for and remove TheSearchGuard entry. If not present, look for any suspicious labels that was installed recently.
4. Click on Uninstall to start removing the program.
Step 2: Scan and Delete Adware with AdwCleaner
1. Download the tool called AdwCleaner from the location stated below.
Click here to download AdwCleaner (this will open a new window)
2. Once you have completed the download, please close all running programs on the computer.
3. Locate the file and double-click on adwcleaner_Ver.exe to start running the tool. Then, click on Scan button.
4. It searches for presence of harmful programs, plug-ins, add-ons, or any data that were found malicious and linked to TheSearchGuard. You need to Clean all items detected by this tool.
5. Once scan is done, the tool may need to reboot your computer to finalize the cleaning process.
6. After reboot, AdwCleaner will display the log file of the recent scan.
Step 3: Remove Adware Add-on and Cleanup the Browser
After the previous scans, you may have deleted TheSearchGuard from the affected browser. This next step will ensure that no more module of adware will be left on the browser. This free tool scans and checks the browser for unwanted add-on and extension, and if found, Avast Browser Cleanup will give you a report and suggestion.
1. Download this free tool and save it to your desktop.
Avast Browser Cleanup Download Link (This will open in a new window)
2. Please install the program. Start the process by double-clicking on the executable file avast-browser-cleanup-sfx.exe.
3. When run, Avast Browser Cleanup performs a test on the browser. If unwanted entries were found, it will display a button ‘Remove all add-ons listed below and cleanup browser.’ You may remove all or delete one entry at a time.
4. Avast Browser Cleanup will confirm before it permanently deletes the add-on. Please click Yes to proceed with the removal of TheSearchGuard on the affected browser.
Step 4: Remove TheSearchGuard from Google Chrome
Option 1 – Delete Malicious Extension from Chrome Browser
One way to remove TheSearchGuard from Google Chrome is simply to delete the Extension. Please follow these steps:
1. Open Google Chrome browser.
2. Type the following in the address bar: chrome://extensions
3. On Extensions window, please delete TheSearchGuard by clicking on Trash icon.
4. Google Chrome will prompt for the confirmation of TheSearchGuard removal. Please click on Remove button to proceed.
5. You may now restart Chrome browser.
Option 2 – Restore Google Chrome to Default Settings
Resetting Google Chrome to default settings is helpful in deleting hard-to-remove extension such as from TheSearchGuard. This method is highly advisable to perform if you have difficulty in removing unwanted extension.
1. Open Google Chrome application.
2. In the address bar please type the this string: chrome://settings/ and then, press Enter on keyboard.
3. Scroll down to bottom, then click Advanced…
4. Scroll to the bottom of the page until you see Reset and Clean Up section.
5. Click on Restore settings to their original defaults. If it prompts for confirmation, please click Reset Settings button to proceed.
This function will reset your home page, new tab page, search engine, and other areas affected by TheSearchGuard. Unwanted extensions will also be removed from the browser. This will not affect your bookmarks, history, and other saved data. You may also run Chrome Cleanup function from this page. An integrated tool from Google Chrome but with more advanced Adware scanner feature.