SystemNotes 1.0 is a Mac adware, which pretends to be a valuable software that help enhance users browsing experience by providing fast online searches and presenting accurate results. However, since it is a type of potentially unwanted program (PUP), it operates while delivering intrusive and malicious advertising campaigns. Various unwanted ads are continuously displaying while using the browser app that is infected with SystemNotes. Also bear in mind that SystemNotes can track data from internet users.
SystemNotes Mac adware can display a variety of ads through pop-ups, banners, coupons, or surveys. Using this adware can significantly reduce the users browsing experience. Appearing different ads randomly can limit the user visibility to page contents. Intrusive ads persistently displays on the web browser are really annoying and unfortunately, some of these ads by SystemNotes adware can harm browser apps and computers as well.
Risky Ads from SystemNotes App
SystemNotes can be very risky to user’s online privacy and safety. Once it is clicked, even intentionally or not, it can redirect users to unwanted sites or web pages like sale-based sites, untrustworthy web pages, adult relate contents, scam or phishing sites.
Another thing is that, some intrusive ads can execute scripts to be able to install or download Potentially Unwanted Applications (PUA) without the knowledge of Mac user. PUA’s did not necessarily need the permission of user before it infiltrates Mac device. It also has dangerous effects to Mac computers like deploying ad campaigns, browser hijacking, or redirecting to more harmful websites.
All of these can happen once the SystemNotes.app adware is present in Mac devices. Apps or programs brought by clicking ads through SystemNotes adware can collect and record personal details and information of Mac device user, which can be use or shared with other parties for revenue generation purpose. In a worst case scenario, data collected can be used for other online fraudulent activities
How SystemNotes 1.0 is installed?
Potentially unwanted application or adware like SystemNotes can possibly be acquired from official websites, which it was endorsed as useful and functional software. Usually, SystemNotes is offered for free so they can fool or tempt Mac users to download and install it. In addition, it can possibly install along with other programs or apps. It is a marketing strategy to spread adware and PUA’s without detecting by users. SystemNotes can be installed on computer by any of these two possibilities. Either way, it has the same effect to Mac devices.
Procedures to Remove SystemNotes 1.0 from Mac
This area contains comprehensive procedures to help you remove adware and potentially unwanted program from the computer.
Guide on this page are written in a manner that can be easily understand and execute by Mac users.
Step 1 : Quick Fix - Scan the System with Combo Cleaner
Combo Cleaner is a trusted Mac utility application with complete antivirus and optimization features. It is useful in dealing with adware, malware, and PUP's. Moreover, it can get rid of adware like SystemNotes 1.0. You may need to purchase full version if you require to maximize its premium features.
1. Download the tool from the following page:
2. Double-click the downloaded file and proceed with the installation.
3. In the opened window, drag and drop the Combo Cleaner icon onto your Applications folder icon.
4. Open your Launchpad and click on the Combo Cleaner icon.
5. Wait until antivirus downloads it's latest virus definition updates and click on "Start Combo Scan" to start removing SystemNotes 1.0.
6. Free features of Combo Cleaner include Disk Cleaner, Big Files finder, Duplicate files finder, and Uninstaller. To use antivirus and privacy scanner, users have to upgrade to a premium version.
Proceed with the rest of the removal steps if you are comfortable in manually removing malicious objects associated with the threat.
Step 2 : Remove Browser Extensions that belongs to SystemNotes 1.0
1. Locate the add-on or extension that is relevant to the adware. To do this, please follow the following depending on affected browser.
Safari - Choose Preferences from the Safari menu, then click the Extensions icon. This will open a window showing all installed extensions.
Chrome - Select Preferences from the Chrome menu, and then click the Extensions link found on the left pane.
Firefox - Choose Add-ons from the Menu. Look at both the Extensions and Plugins lists when it opens a new window.
2. Once you have located SystemNotes 1.0, click on Remove or Uninstall, to get rid of it.
3. Close the browser and proceed to the next steps.
Step 3 : Delete Malicious Files that have installed SystemNotes 1.0
1. Select and copy the string below to your Clipboard by pressing Command + C on your keyboard.
2. Go to your Finder. From the menu bar please select Go > Go to Folder...
3. Press Command + V on your keyboard to paste the copied string. Press Return to go to the said folder.
4. You will now see a folder named LaunchAgents. Take note of the following files inside the folder:
- com.SystemNotes 1.0
The term unknown is just a representation of the actual malware name. Attackers may masks the actual name with following:
- Safe Finder
If you cannot find the specified file, please look for any unfamiliar or suspicious entries. It may be the one causing SystemNotes 1.0 to be present on your Mac. Arranging all items to see the most latest ones may also help you identify recently installed unfamiliar files. Please press Option + Command + 4 on your keyboard to arrange the application list in chronological order.
Important: Take note of all the suspicious files as you may also delete the same item on another folder as we go on.
5. Drag all suspicious files that you may find to Trash.
6. Please restart the computer.
7. Open another folder using the same method as above. Copy and Paste the following string to easily locate the folder.
8. Look for any suspicious items that are similar to the ones in Step 4. Drag them to the Trash.
9. Repeat the process on the following non-hidden folders (without ~):
10. Lastly, go to your Finder and open the Applications Folder. Look for subfolders with the following names and drag them to Trash.
- Safe Finder
Optional : For locked files that cannot be removed, do the following:
1. Go to Launchpad, Utilities folder, open Activity Monitor.
2. Select the process you want to quit.
3. Click on Force Quit button.
4. You may now delete or remove locked files that belongs to SystemNotes 1.0 adware.
Step 4 : Double-check with MBAM Tool for Mac
1. Download Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac from this link:
2. Run Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac. It will check for updates and download if most recent version is available. This is necessary in finding recent malware threats including SystemNotes 1.0.
3. If it prompts to close all running web browser, please do so. Thus, we advise you to PRINT this guide for your reference before going offline.
4. Once it opens the user interface, please click on Scan button to start scanning your Mac computer.
5. After the scan, Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac will display a list of identified threats, SystemNotes 1.0 is surely part of it. Be sure to select all items in the list. Then, click Remove button to clean the computer.
Step 5 : Remove SystemNotes 1.0 from Homepage and Search
- Open your Safari browser.
- Go to Safari Menu located on upper left hand corner, and then select Preferences.
- Under General tab, navigate to Default Search Engine section and select Google or any valid search engine.
- Next, be sure that "New Windows Open With" field is set to Homepage.
- Lastly, remove SystemNotes 1.0 from the Homepage field. Replace it with your preferred URL to be set as your default homepage.
- Open Chrome browser.
- Type the following on the address bar and press Enter on keyboard : chrome://settings/
- Look for 'On Startup' area.
- Select 'Open a specific page or set of pages'.
- Click on More Actions and select Edit.
- Enter the desired web address as your home page, replacing SystemNotes 1.0. Click Save.
- To set default search engine, go to Search Engine area.
- Click on 'Manage search engines...' button.
- Go to questionable Search Engine. Click on More Actions and Click 'Remove from list'.
- Go back to Search Engine area and choose valid entry from Search engine used in the address bar.
- Run Mozilla Firefox browser.
- Type the following on the address bar and hit Enter on keyboard : about:preferences
- On Startup area, select 'Show your home page' under 'When Firefox starts' field.
- Under Home Page field, type the desired URL to replace SystemNotes 1.0 settings.
- To configure default search engine, select Search on left sidebar to display settings.
- Under Default Search Engine list, please select one.
- On the same page, you have an option to Remove unwanted search engine.
Optional : If unable to change browser settings, execute these steps:
Some user complains that there is no way to change browser settings because it is grayed out by SystemNotes 1.0. In such situation, it is important to check if there is unwanted profile. Please do the following:
1. Quit any running applications and launch System Preferences from your Dock.
2. Under System Preferences, click Profiles.
3. Select SystemNotes 1.0 or any relevant profile from the left pane. See image below.
4. At the bottom of this window, click minus [-] button to delete the account. Please refer to image above.
5. Close the Profiles window and open the affected browser to change all settings associated with SystemNotes 1.0.