Sweetpacks is an adware but is considered by many as virus due to its invasive process of controlling an infected computer. Free software download is the common source of this program. When Sweetpacks is inside the computer, you will notice it immediately. Affected browser will display unfamiliar home page that is set to start.sweetpacks.com. There are also instances that new tabs of Google Chrome and Firefox will open to search.sweetpacks.com. Either way, Sweetpacks assault on the browser is somehow dominating.
Sweetpacks Search may not be as harmful as others think of it. However, it was observed that the search results from this program may contain links that delivers malware to the user. Malware authors may have been utilizing the search services run by Sweetpacks.
Sweetpacks Toolbar on the other hand is a useful tool to some computer users. Same with the other, this component is installed on the browser without user’s knowledge. It is typically wrapped to freeware or shareware that user may download from selective web sites.
With the presence of Sweetpacks, full control of the browser will be taken out from you. In fact, you will have no full access in removing Sweetpacks add-on or extension. It was designed that way. You will need special tools to get rid of this adware. Deleting the plug-in and files is insufficient to stop the bothering caused by Sweetpacks adware.
Online Security Scanner Report for sweetpacks.com:
sweetpacks.com is the official site for all Sweetpacks products. During analysis, we found out that Norton Safe Web found no suspicious activity on the said domain. However, AVG ThreatLabs, stated that potentially active malware was detected on this web site. SHeur Trojan Horse is active on the domain, while Win/DHICUAWBMX was identified on cdn.download.sweetpacks.com. Risky Script Injection was detected on start.sweetpacks.com.
|No Issues||Community Rating: 1.4/5.0||Updated: August 4, 2013|
|Not yet rated||Feedback: No Data||Updated: August 4, 2013|
|Surf with caution||Ratings: 3 Likes, 8 Dislikes||Updated: August 4, 2013|
How to Remove Sweetpacks
Stage 1: Scan the Computer with Sophos Virus Removal Tool
This rootkit and virus removal tool is free and easy to use. It scans, detects and removes any rootkit, malware as well as threat like Sweetpacks. The tool is powerful enough to find malicious items that are hidden on the computer.
1. Download Sophos Virus Removal Tool from the link below. Save the file to your Desktop so that we can access the file easily.
Sophos Virus Removal Tool Download Link
2. After downloading, navigate to the file location and double-click it. This will start the installation procedure. User Account Control will prompt if you want to run the program, click Yes to continue.
3. On initial launch of the program, it will display a welcome screen as shown in the image below. Click Next to start the installation procedure.
4. Next, you need to accept the license agreement before Sophos Virus Removal Tool can be installed onto the computer. Choose ‘I accept the terms in the license agreement’. Then, click Next button.
5. On the next prompts, please click appropriate button to proceed. At the end of the installation process, it will display InstallShield Wizard Completed. Just leave the Launch Sophos Virus Removal Tool with a check mark. Then, click Finish.
6. The tool will download necessary updates so Internet connection is required at this point. Lastly, Sophos Virus Removal Tool displays the welcome screen.
7. Click on Start Scanning button to begin checking the system for presence of rootkit and virus. The tool reveals items that were found linked to Sweetpacks. It also detects and removes other malicious files.
Stage 2: Scan and Delete Sweetpacks with AdwCleaner
1. Download the tool called AdwCleaner from the location stated below.
Click here to download AdwCleaner (this will open a new window)
2. Once you have completed the download, please close all running programs on the computer.
3. Locate the file and double-click on adwcleaner_Ver.exe to start running the tool. Then, click on Scan button.
4. It searches for presence of harmful programs, plug-ins, add-ons, or any data that were found malicious and linked to Sweetpacks. You need to Clean all items detected by this tool.
5. Once scan is done, the tool may need to reboot your computer to finalize the cleaning process.
6. After reboot, AdwCleaner will display the log file of the recent scan.
Stage 3: Remove Sweetpacks Add-on and Cleanup the Browser
After the previous scans, you may have deleted Sweetpacks from the affected browser. This next step will ensure that no more module of adware will be left on the browser. This free tool scans and checks the browser for unwanted add-on and extension, and if found, Avast Browser Cleanup will give you a report and suggestion.
1. Download this free tool and save it to your desktop.
Avast Browser Cleanup Download Link (This will open in a new window)
2. Please install the program. Start the process by double-clicking on the executable file avast-browser-cleanup-sfx.exe.
3. When run, Avast Browser Cleanup performs a test on the browser. If unwanted entries were found, it will display a button ‘Remove all add-ons listed below and cleanup browser.’ You may remove all or delete one entry at a time.
4. Avast Browser Cleanup will confirm before it permanently deletes the add-on. Please click Yes to proceed with the removal of Sweetpacks on the affected browser.
Optional: Alternative Method to Clean Up Internet Browser from Sweetpacks
Cleaning your internet browser from clutter and unwanted add-on/extension is a must when dealing with Sweetpacks. The procedure below discuss on resetting various browsers to its default state.
Reset Mozilla Firefox to Default
This section describes how to remove unwanted extension from Firefox that may be related to Sweetpacks. This process can fix many browser issues by restoring Firefox to factory settings without affecting your essential information (bookmarks, browsing history, passwords, and Internet cookies) on the browser. If you desire to remove only specific extension, you can view complete procedures here.
1. Navigate to Firefox menu at the top of the browser and access the Help area. Click on Troubleshooting Information.
2. A new tab will appear. You will notice a section on upper-right corner of the screen stating Give Firefox a tuneup. Click the Refresh Firefox button.
3. If confirmation window appears, click Refresh Firefox to continue.
4. Firefox browser will close and start the resetting process. When done, it will display a list of restored data. Sweetpacks should be gone by now. Click Finish to open a fresh version of Firefox.
Restore Internet Explorer to Default Settings
1. Open Internet Explorer and navigate to top menu. Click Tools, and then Internet Options.
2. Select Advanced tab on Internet Options window.
3. On lower part of the window, under Reset Internet Explorer Settings area, click the Reset button. Please see image for reference.
Your data like favorites, bookmark, and history will remain in the browser. However, this process may delete add-ons by Sweetpacks and other unknown objects. If you prefer to carry out the instructions manually, please see this specific procedure.