SurfBuyer is a Macintosh OS X based PUP that produces excessive pop-up advertisements. It claims to give users easy access to usable coupon codes, savings, discounts, and other online deals. At first glance, user will find SurfBuyer very useful. Hence, when it begins to issue never-ending pop-up ads and redirects, people begins to dismay how it performs while inside their Mac systems.
Like most potentially unwanted program (PUP), SurfBuyer can also enter the computer through third-party software. Freeware is also an accessory to widespread distribution of SurfBuyer. Download manager, free tools, games, bogus software update, media players is another type of freeware that has profound connection with SurfBuyer and most adware programs.
When inside the computer, adware applies a content-layering technique to display coupons, banners, pop-up ads, and other marketing materials on browser’s web page. These virtual layers of advertisement may appear as if it is part of the web page. In reality, these ads are coming from SurfBuyer. It supersedes some section of the original content. Thus, user may see unwanted ads by SurfBuyer as legitimate and mistakenly click on it most often.
Advertisements initiated by adware like SurfBuyer and other unwanted programs can be dangerous. They are using questionable network of advertisers, which are not regulated. These ads may contain malicious links that can deliver viruses and malware onto user’s computer.
As of now, SurfBuyer is compatible only to Mac OS X system. It affects Google Chrome and Safari browser. Though, official website states that Windows and Mobile version will soon be available.
Online Security Scanner Report for macsurfbuyer.com:
|Not yet tested||Community Rating: 0.0||Updated: July 3, 2019|
|Minimal risk||Feedback: No Data||Updated: July 3, 2019|
|Currently safe||Ratings: No Data||Updated: July 3, 2019|
Procedures to Remove SurfBuyer Adware from Mac
This section contains comprehensive guide to help you remove threats from the affected computer.
Procedures on this page are written in a manner that can be easily understand and execute by Mac users.
QuickFix: Instant Removal
Combo Cleaner is a trusted Mac utility application with complete antivirus and optimization features. It is useful in dealing with adware, malware, and PUP’s. Moreover, it can get rid of malicious browser adware that causes annoyances. You may need to purchase full version if you require to maximize its premium features.
1. Download the tool from the following page:
Click here to Download Combo Cleaner (this will open a new window)
2. Double-click the downloaded file.
3. In the opened window, drag and drop the Combo Cleaner icon onto your Applications folder icon.
4. Open your Launchpad and click on the Combo Cleaner icon.
5. Wait until antivirus downloads it's latest virus definition updates and click on “Start Combo Scan“.
6. Free features of Combo Cleaner include Disk Cleaner, Big Files finder, Duplicate files finder, and Uninstaller. To use antivirus and privacy scanner users have to upgrade to a premium version.
Proceed with the rest of the removal steps if you are comfortable in manually removing malicious objects associated with the threat.
Step 1: Remove Browser Extensions that belongs to SurfBuyer
1. Locate the add-on or extension that is relevant to the adware i.e. SurfBuyer, SearchAssist. To do this, please follow the procedure depending on affected browser.
Safari – Choose Preferences from the Safari menu, then click the Extensions icon. This will open a window showing all installed extensions.
Chrome – Select Preferences from the Chrome menu, and then click the Extensions link found on the left pane.
Firefox – Choose Add-ons from the Tools menu. Look at both the Extensions and Plugins lists when it opens a new window.
2. Once you have located SurfBuyer, click on Remove or Uninstall, to get rid of it.
3. Close the browser and proceed to the next steps.
Step 2: Delete Malicious Files that have installed SurfBuyer
1. Select and copy the string below to your Clipboard by pressing Command + C on your keyboard.
2. Go to your Finder. From the menu bar please select Go > Go to Folder…
3. Press Command + V on your keyboard to paste the copied string. Press Return to go to the said folder.
4. You will now see a folder named LaunchAgents. Take note of the following files inside the folder:
If you cannot find the specified file, please look for any unfamiliar or suspicious entries. It may be the one causing the SurfBuyer to be present on your Mac. Arranging all items to see the most latest ones may also help you identify recently installed unfamiliar files. Please press Option + Command + 4 on your keyboard to arrange the application list in chronological order.
5. Drag all suspicious files that you may find to Trash.
6. Repeat Step 2, numbers 1-5 procedures on the following folder (without ~):
7. Please restart the computer.
8. Open another folder using the same method as above. Copy and Paste the following string to easily locate the folder.
9. Look for any suspicious items that are similar to the ones in Step2, number 4. Drag them to the Trash.
10. Go to your Finder and open the Applications Folder. Look for subfolders with the following names and drag them to Trash.
Optional: For locked files that cannot be removed, do the following:
1. Go to Launchpad, Utilities folder, open Activity Monitor.
2. Select the process you want to quit.
3. Click on Force Quit button.
Note: If SurfBuyer is not present, please look for any suspicious object like Genieo, Software-Updater, Media Downloader…
4. You may now delete or remove locked files that belongs to SurfBuyer.
Step 3: Scan the System with Adware Removal Tool for Mac
1. Download Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac from this link:
Click here to download MBAM for Mac (this will open a new window)
2. Run Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac. It will check for updates and download if most recent version is available. This is necessary in finding recent malware threats including SurfBuyer.
3. If it prompts to close all running web browser, please do so. Thus, we advise you to PRINT this guide for your reference before going offline.
4. Once it opens the user interface, please click on Scan button to start scanning your Mac computer.
5. After the scan, Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac will display a list of identified threats, SurfBuyer is surely part of it. Be sure to select all items in the list. Then, click Remove button to clean the computer.
Step 4: Remove SurfBuyer from Safari Home Page and Search
1. Open Apple menu and select Force Quit. You can also press Command + Option + Esc on the keyboard to access this feature.
2. From the list of applications, select Safari, and then click on Force Quit button. Wait for Safari browser to close.
3. Now, hold down Shift key and launch Safari. Do this to avoid opening any unwanted window from SurfBuyer.
4. Go to Safari Menu located on upper left hand corner, and then select Preferences.
5. Under General tab, type the desired URL on Home Page area.
6. To set the default search engine, please go back to Safari Preferences.
7. Click on Search and select the desired search engine from the list to override SurfBuyer custom search engine.