Another addition to the long list of dubious search engines is StartPage.pro. Emerging from a family of Adware, this may enter the computer through relevant adware. Thus, if your homepage is taken over by StartPage.pro, it only denotes that scanning the system with anti-malware and anti-virus software is vital at this point. This is the only way you can remove StartPage.pro and bring back the computer as well as internet browser programs to its reliable state.
As long as StartPage.pro is bothering your browser, it is still unsafe to surf the web. This adware was made to gather information like visited website, search inquiries, keywords, and personal data. Apart from this monitoring scheme, StartPage.pro also utilizes victim’s computer to earn profit online. Browser will be redirected to various predefined client’s websites to view various advertisements. It also issues pop-ups and banners ads from time-to-time.
Adware usually conducts its payload with the help of browser Extensions planted on popular browsers such as Google Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Safari, and Edge. The same Extension is responsible for changing the homepage to show StartPage.pro. Default search engine and other settings on the browser also reveals some alteration by the adware.
To bring back the computer to previous normal state, it is important to remove StartPage.pro and linked adware as soon as possible. Scanning the system with efficient security tool is similarly vital to locate and delete malicious files, registry entries, and browser add-ons. Below is our guide to help you with the StartPage.pro removal. Execute the steps in exact order and download necessary tools to ensure complete ejection of adware and malware.
Online Security Scanner Report for startpage.pro:
|Not yet tested||Community Rating: 0.0||Oct. 24, 2017|
|Minimal risk||Feedback: No data||Oct. 24, 2017|
|Currently Safe||Feedback: No data||Oct. 24, 2017|
StartPage.pro Removal Procedure
This section contains comprehensive guide to help you remove threats from the affected computer.
Procedures on this page are written in a manner that can be easily understand and execute by computer users.
Stage 1: Scan the Computer with Sophos Virus Removal Tool
This malware and virus removal tool is free and easy to use. It scans, detects and removes any rootkit, malware as well as threat like StartPage.pro home page hijacker. The tool is powerful enough to find malicious items that are hidden on the computer.
1. Download Sophos Virus Removal Tool from the link below. Save the file to your Desktop so that we can access the file easily.
Sophos Virus Removal Tool Download Link (this will open a new window)
2. After downloading, navigate to the file location and double-click it. This will start the installation procedure. User Account Control will prompt if you want to run the program, click Yes to continue.
3. On initial launch of the program, it will display a welcome screen as shown in the image below. Click Next to start the installation procedure.
4. Next, you need to accept the license agreement before Sophos Virus Removal Tool can be installed onto the computer. Choose ‘I accept the terms in the license agreement’. Then, click Next button.
5. On the next prompts, please click appropriate button to proceed. At the end of the installation process, it will display InstallShield Wizard Completed. Just leave the Launch Sophos Virus Removal Tool with a check mark. Then, click Finish.
6. The tool will download necessary updates so Internet connection is required at this point. Lastly, Sophos Virus Removal Tool displays the welcome screen.
7. Click on Start Scanning button to begin checking the system for presence of rootkit and virus. The tool reveals items that were found linked to StartPage.pro. It also detects and removes other malicious files.
Stage 2: Scan and Delete Adware with AdwCleaner
1. Download the tool called AdwCleaner from the location stated below.
Click here to download AdwCleaner (this will open a new window)
2. Once you have completed the download, please close all running programs on the computer.
3. Locate the file and double-click on adwcleaner_Ver.exe to start running the tool. Then, click on Scan button.
4. It searches for presence of harmful programs, plug-ins, add-ons, or any data that were found malicious and linked to StartPage.pro. You need to Clean all items detected by this tool.
5. Once scan is done, the tool may need to reboot your computer to finalize the cleaning process.
6. After reboot, AdwCleaner will display the log file of the recent scan.
Stage 3: Remove StartPage.pro Add-on and Cleanup the Browser
After the previous scans, you may have deleted StartPage.pro from the affected browser. This next step will ensure that no more module of adware will be left on the browser. This free tool scans and checks the browser for unwanted add-on and extension, and if found, Avast Browser Cleanup will give you a report and suggestion.
1. Download this free tool and save it to your desktop.
Avast Browser Cleanup Download Link (This will open in a new window)
2. Please install the program. Start the process by double-clicking on the executable file avast-browser-cleanup-sfx.exe.
3. When run, Avast Browser Cleanup performs a test on the browser. If unwanted entries were found, it will display a button ‘Remove all add-ons listed below and cleanup browser.’ You may remove all or delete one entry at a time.
4. Avast Browser Cleanup will confirm before it permanently deletes the add-on. Please click Yes to proceed with the removal of StartPage.pro on the affected browser.
Stage 4: Remove StartPage.pro Extension from Google Chrome
Option 1 – Delete Malicious Extension from Chrome Browser
One way to remove StartPage.pro from Google Chrome is simply to delete the Extension. Please follow these steps:
1. Open Google Chrome browser.
2. Type the following in the address bar: chrome://extensions
3. On Extensions window, please delete StartPage.pro by clicking on Remove or Trash icon.
4. Google Chrome will prompt for the confirmation of StartPage.pro removal. Please click on Remove button to proceed.
5. You may now restart Chrome browser.
Option: Alternative Method to Clean Up Internet Browser from StartPage.pro
Cleaning your internet browser from clutter and unwanted add-on/extension is a must when dealing with StartPage.pro. The procedure below discuss on resetting various browsers to its default state.
Reset Google Chrome Settings to Remove StartPage.pro
1. Open Google Chrome application.
2. In the address bar please type the this string: chrome://settings/ and then, press Enter on keyboard.
3. Scroll down to bottom, then click Advanced…
4. Scroll to the bottom of the page until you see Reset and Clean Up section.
5. Click on Restore settings to their original defaults. If it prompts for confirmation, please click Reset Settings button to proceed.
This function will reset your home page, new tab page, search engine, and other areas affected by StartPage.pro. Unwanted extensions will also be removed from the browser. This will not affect your bookmarks, history, and other saved data. You may also run Chrome Cleanup function from this page. An integrated tool from Google Chrome but with more advanced Adware scanner feature.
Restore Internet Explorer to Default Settings to Remove StartPage.pro
1. Open Internet Explorer and navigate to top menu. Click Tools, and then Internet Options.
2. Select Advanced tab on Internet Options window.
3. On lower part of the window, under Reset Internet Explorer Settings area, click the Reset button. Please see image for reference.
Your data like favorites, bookmark, and history will remain it the browser. However, this process may delete add-ons by StartPage.pro and other unknown objects. If you prefer to carry out the procedure manually, please view instructions here.
Reset Mozilla Firefox Settings to Remove StartPage.pro
This section describes how to remove unwanted extension from Firefox that may be related to StartPage.pro. This process can fix many browser issues by restoring Firefox to factory settings without affecting your essential information (bookmarks, browsing history, passwords, and Internet cookies) on the browser. If you desire to remove only specific extension, please see manual add-on removal from this link.
1. Navigate to Firefox menu at the top of the browser and access the Help area. Click on Troubleshooting Information.
2. A new tab will appear. You will notice a section on upper-right corner of the screen stating ‘Give Firefox a Tune Up’. Click the Refresh Firefox button.
3. If confirmation window appears, click Refresh Firefox to continue.
4. Firefox browser will close and start the resetting process. When done, it will display a list of restored data. StartPage.pro home page hijacker should be gone by now. Click Finish to open a fresh version of Firefox.