Spigot Search Protection or also called as Spigot Search Settings is a mechanism to drive revenue to publishers offering it to be installed on the browser. It is actually a program made to appear on top of the browser and known to many as Spigot Search Protection Toolbar. When installed on the computer, this adware makes sure that your default search engine will not be changed as long as you retain this program on the browser. It has a decent purpose. However, hidden agendas of this adware can be risky for the end-users.
Spigot Search Protection usually installed on the computer packed with free software that any user can download from various hosts. In most instances, users are not aware of the installation. In addition, there is a growing concern due to the difficulty of removing Spigot Search Protection once it gains an access on one’s browser. Some even deemed it as virus or malware. In fact, certain antivirus programs will detect it as Win32/Toolbar.Widgi, Win32.Troj.Generic.a, Artemis!A9C71D2C838D, or TROJ_GEN.F47V0910.
To keep your computer safe and secure, it is better to remove Spigot Search Protection even though your antivirus program identified it harmless. Its intrusion method alone suggest that it can take control of the computer against your knowledge.
How to Remove Spigot Search Protection
Step 1 : Use Add/Remove program of Windows to Uninstall Spigot Search Protection
The main cause of adware and malware presence could be software that you may have installed on the computer. We need to uninstall the culprit program.
1. Click Windows Start button. Next, select Control Panel from the list.
2. Find the ‘Programs‘ area and click on Uninstall a program. This opens up a window showing existing software installed.
3. Look for and remove Spigot Search Protection entry. If not present, look for any suspicious labels that was installed recently. You may uninstall YTD, uTorrent or doubtful programs.
4. Click on Uninstall to start removing the program.
Step 2: Scan and Delete Adware with AdwCleaner
1. Download the tool called AdwCleaner from the location stated below. Click here to download AdwCleaner (this will open a new window)
2. Once you have completed the download, please close all running programs on the computer.
3. Locate the file and double-click on adwcleaner_Ver.exe to start running the tool. Then, click on Scan button.
4. It searches for presence of harmful programs, plug-ins, add-ons, or any data that were found malicious and linked to Spigot Search Protection. You need to Clean all items detected by this tool.
5. Once scan is done, the tool may need to reboot your computer to finalize the cleaning process.
6. After reboot, AdwCleaner will display the log file of the recent scan.
Step 3: Remove Adware Add-on and Cleanup the Browser
After the previous scans, you may have deleted Spigot Search Protection from the affected browser. This next step will ensure that no more module of adware will be left on the browser. This free tool scans and checks the browser for unwanted add-on and extension, and if found, Avast Browser Cleanup will give you a report and suggestion.
1. Download this free tool and save it to your desktop.
Avast Browser Cleanup Download Link (This will open in a new window)
2. Please install the program. Start the process by double-clicking on the executable file avast-browser-cleanup-sfx.exe.
3. When run, Avast Browser Cleanup performs a test on the browser. If unwanted entries were found, it will display a button ‘Remove all add-ons listed below and cleanup browser.’ You may remove all or delete one entry at a time.
4. Avast Browser Cleanup will confirm before it permanently deletes the add-on. Please click Yes to proceed with the removal of Spigot Search Protection on the affected browser.
Post Last Modified On December 4, 2013