Social2Search is believed to be a potentially unwanted program (PUP) that can be acquired from various sources. Primarily, adware like this are deployed using freeware. This software-bundling technique is a hit for Social2Search author to spread the adware without user’s detection. By packing the malicious code onto legitimate programs, most computer users are unaware of its installation.
To provide you with better searches and sharing on your favorite social networking site is the goal of this program. In reality, it was made to generate profit by displaying Social2Search ads once it is installed on the computer. It mainly attacks browser application such as Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, Firefox, and Edge. Adjustments are made on browser program so that Social2Search will load as an extension. In that effect, changes on default settings are obvious. Home page and start-up page will reveal unknown search engine. New tabs may also show the same symptoms. Browser redirects may also be in effect during the presence of Social2Search adware.
In spite of resetting your browser to its default value, Social2Search may still take control of the affected Internet browser program. It will carry on with its operation and issue excessive advertisements like pop-ups, banners, and links. Above all, Social2Search exposes your online data to attacker. The adware may record your browsing activities like surfing habit, web site visited, key words, and other online credentials.
It is crucial to remove Social2Search when presence is observed on your computer. If resetting your browser to default settings is not effective, we highly suggest that you scan the system with anti-virus and anti-malware tools. Complete guide to remove Social2Search is presented on this page.
Ads by Social2Search
When Social2Search has infiltrated the computer, it will alter settings on your browser. It starts as browser helper object and takes control of how advertisements are loaded into web pages. As shown in the image below, Ads by Social2Search may appear as banner on top of browser. Search results from unknown search engine also displays Ads by Social2Search.
Different anti-virus and anti-malware programs may name this threat according to their patterns. Here are some detection names: BrowserModifier:Win32/Soctuseer
Online Security Scanner Report for social2search.com:
|Not yet tested||Community Rating: 0.0||Updated: Sept. 12, 2016|
|Link is safe||Feedback: No Data||Updated: Sept. 12, 2016|
|Currently safe||Ratings: No Data||Updated: Sept. 12, 2016|
How to Remove Social2Search
Step 1 : Use Add/Remove program of Windows to Uninstall Social2Search
The main cause of pop-up ads and coupons could be software that you may have installed on the computer. We need to uninstall the culprit program.
1. Click Windows Start button. Next, select Control Panel from the list. Alternatively, press Windows key + R on keyboard and run appwiz.cpl command.
2. Find the ‘Programs‘ area and click on Uninstall a program. This opens up a window showing existing software installed.
3. Look for and remove Social2Search entry. If not present, look for any suspicious labels that was installed recently.
4. Click on Uninstall to start removing the program.
Step 2: Scan and Delete Adware with AdwCleaner
1. Download the tool called AdwCleaner from the location stated below.
Click here to download AdwCleaner (this will open a new window)
2. Once you have completed the download, please close all running programs on the computer.
3. Locate the file and double-click on adwcleaner_Ver.exe to start running the tool. Then, click on Scan button.
4. It searches for presence of harmful programs, plug-ins, add-ons, or any data that were found malicious and linked to Social2Search. You need to Clean all items detected by this tool.
5. Once scan is done, the tool may need to reboot your computer to finalize the cleaning process.
6. After reboot, AdwCleaner will display the log file of the recent scan.
Step 3: Remove Social2Search Add-on/Extension and Cleanup the Browser
After the previous scans, you may have deleted Social2Search from the affected browser. This next step will ensure that no more module of adware will be left on the browser. This free tool scans and checks the browser for unwanted add-on and extension, and if found, Avast Browser Cleanup will give you a report and suggestion.
1. Download this free tool and save it to your desktop.
Avast Browser Cleanup Download Link (This will open in a new window)
2. Please install the program. Start the process by double-clicking on the executable file avast-browser-cleanup-sfx.exe.
3. When run, Avast Browser Cleanup performs a test on the browser. If unwanted entries were found, it will display a button ‘Remove all add-ons listed below and cleanup browser.’ You may remove all or delete one entry at a time.
4. Avast Browser Cleanup will confirm before it permanently deletes the add-on. Please click Yes to proceed with the removal of Social2Search on the affected browser.
Step 4: Reset Internet Browser to completely remove Social2Search
Cleaning your internet browser from clutter and unwanted add-on/extension is a must when dealing with Social2Search. The procedure below discuss on resetting various browsers to its default state.
Remove Social2Search from Google Chrome
Resetting Google Chrome to default settings is helpful in deleting hard-to-remove extension such as from Social2Search. This method is highly advisable to perform if you have difficulty in removing unwanted extension.
1. Open Google Chrome application.
2. In the address bar please type this string: chrome://settings/ and then, press Enter on keyboard.
3. Scroll down to bottom, then click Advanced…
4. Scroll to the bottom of the page until you see Reset and Clean Up section.
5. Click on Restore settings to their original defaults. If it prompts for confirmation, please click Reset Settings button to proceed.
This function will reset your home page, new tab page, search engine, and other areas affected by Social2Search. Unwanted extensions will also be removed from the browser. This will not affect your bookmarks, history, and other saved data. You may also run Chrome Cleanup function from this page. An integrated tool from Google Chrome but with more advanced Adware scanner feature.
Reset Mozilla Firefox to Default
This section describes how to remove unwanted extension from Firefox that may be related to Social2Search.. This process can fix many browser issues by restoring Firefox to factory settings without affecting your essential information (bookmarks, browsing history, passwords, and Internet cookies) on the browser. If you desire to remove only specific extension, please see manual removal of add-on from Firefox.
1. Navigate to Firefox menu at the top of the browser and access the Help area. Click on Troubleshooting Information.
2. A new tab will appear. You will notice a section on upper-right corner of the screen stating Reset Firefox to its default state. Click the Refresh Firefox button.
3. If confirmation window appears, click Refresh Firefox to continue.
4. Firefox browser will close and start the resetting process. When done, it will display a list of restored data. Social2Search should be gone by now. Click Finish to open a fresh version of Firefox.
Restore Internet Explorer to Default Settings
1. Open Internet Explorer and navigate to top menu. Click Tools, and then Internet Options.
2. Select Advanced tab on Internet Options window.
3. On lower part of the window, under Reset Internet Explorer Settings area, click the Reset button. Please see image for reference.
Your data like favorites, bookmark, and history will remain in the browser. However, this process may delete add-ons by Social2Search and other unknown objects. If you prefer to carry out the procedure manually, please add-on removal from Internet Explorer.