SmartBar is tagged as an adware program that issues ‘powered by SmartBar’ advertisements on browsers like Google Chrome, Internet Explorer, and Mozilla Firefox. It is injected as add-on or extension into these browsers and begins performing its tasks as you run the software. You may not see SmartBar Ads on normal web browsing. It only reveals the banner ads if you are paying a visit to online stores and merchant web sites like Ebay, Walmart, Amazon, and so on.
Typically, SmartBar adware may come into your computer without your permission. It is wrapped to shareware apps that will pretend as useful software. It hides on fake software update, games, or video player. As you download and install any of the apps, you are also loading SmartBar adware into the computer. However, unlike the source program, SmartBar is installed behind the scene, so you will not be able to notice the process.
During the presence of SmartBar Ads, you may experience diminishing performance, especially Internet connection. Its constant communication to remote server ears up bandwidth causing your browser to hang or stop responding. Ads by SmartBar also annoy most computer users due to banner that will appear, partly covering contents of the browser.
With the aggressive infiltration method of SmartBar, many consider it as a virus. Well, technically, it is just as adware that you must remove from the computer as soon as possible.
How to Remove SmartBar Ads
Step 1 : Use Add/Remove program of Windows to Uninstall SmartBar
The main cause of adware and malware presence could be software that you may have installed on the computer. We need to uninstall the culprit program.
1. Click Windows Start button. Next, select Control Panel from the list.
2. Find the ‘Programs‘ area and click on Uninstall a program. This opens up a window showing existing software installed.
3. Look for and remove SmartBar entry. If not present, look for any suspicious labels that was installed recently. You may uninstall FriendFinder or any Fabook-related software.
4. Click on Uninstall to start removing the program.
Step 2: Scan and Delete Adware with AdwCleaner
1. Download the tool called AdwCleaner from the location stated below. Click here to download AdwCleaner (this will open a new window)
2. Once you have completed the download, please close all running programs on the computer.
3. Locate the file and double-click on adwcleaner_Ver.exe to start running the tool. Then, click on Scan button.
4. It searches for presence of harmful programs, plug-ins, add-ons, or any data that were found malicious and linked to SmartBar. You need to Clean all items detected by this tool.
5. Once scan is done, the tool may need to reboot your computer to finalize the cleaning process.
6. After reboot, AdwCleaner will display the log file of the recent scan.
Step 3: Remove Adware Add-on and Cleanup the Browser
After the previous scans, you may have deleted SmartBar from the affected browser. This next step will ensure that no more module of adware will be left on the browser. This free tool scans and checks the browser for unwanted add-on and extension, and if found, Avast Browser Cleanup will give you a report and suggestion.
1. Download this free tool and save it to your desktop.
Avast Browser Cleanup Download Link (This will open in a new window)
2. Please install the program. Start the process by double-clicking on the executable file avast-browser-cleanup-sfx.exe.
3. When run, Avast Browser Cleanup performs a test on the browser. If unwanted entries were found, it will display a button ‘Remove all add-ons listed below and cleanup browser.’ You may remove all or delete one entry at a time.
4. Avast Browser Cleanup will confirm before it permanently deletes the add-on. Please click Yes to proceed with the removal of SmartBar on the affected browser.
Post Last Modified On November 20, 2013