Smart Web Search browser redirect adware targets widely used programs such as Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, and Mozilla Firefox to keep a trend. It is installed as a browser add-on, extension, or plug-in, depending on the browser. Overall, Smart Web Search starts as a browser helper object that doesn’t need manual actions from user.
Known method used by attacker to spread Smart Web Search adware is through the use of shareware. It is embedded into programs like music and video players, light games, tools and utilities. This unfair method of distribution is the reason why computer security experts tagged it as potentially unwanted program.
Social media sites and spam emails are seen as another way to distribute Smart Web Search. Victims may arrive on the compromised web site when link from these sources is executed. There are certain users who were drawn to click on malicious links due to its enticing contents.
In order to avoid Smart Web Search from hijacking the home page and have control on the browser, you should be more cautious on what you will be installing on the PC. Installing the downloaded application using custom method also allows you to reject adware such as Smart Web Search.
You must know that presence of this browser hijacker can be the ground for various security risks. The threat also endangers your personal data due to the adware’s monitoring function.
Smart Web Search Removal Procedure
Stage 1: Scan the Computer with Sophos Virus Removal Tool
This rootkit and virus removal tool is free and easy to use. It scans, detects and removes any rootkit, malware as well as threat like Smart Web Search. The tool is powerful enough to find malicious items that are hidden on the computer.
1. Download Sophos Virus Removal Tool from the link below. Save the file to your Desktop so that we can access the file easily.
Sophos Virus Removal Tool Download Link
2. After downloading, navigate to the file location and double-click it. This will start the installation procedure. User Account Control will prompt if you want to run the program, click Yes to continue.
3. On initial launch of the program, it will display a welcome screen as shown in the image below. Click Next to start the installation procedure.
4. Next, you need to accept the license agreement before Sophos Virus Removal Tool can be installed onto the computer. Choose ‘I accept the terms in the license agreement’. Then, click Next button.
5. On the next prompts, please click appropriate button to proceed. At the end of the installation process, it will display InstallShield Wizard Completed. Just leave the Launch Sophos Virus Removal Tool with a check mark. Then, click Finish.
6. The tool will download necessary updates so Internet connection is required at this point. Lastly, Sophos Virus Removal Tool displays the welcome screen.
7. Click on Start Scanning button to begin checking the system for presence of rootkit and virus. The tool reveals items that were found linked to Smart Web Search. It also detects and removes other malicious files.
Stage 2: Scan and Delete Adware with AdwCleaner
1. Download the tool called AdwCleaner from the location stated below.
Click here to download AdwCleaner (this will open a new window)
2. Once you have completed the download, please close all running programs on the computer.
3. Locate the file and double-click on adwcleaner_Ver.exe to start running the tool. Then, click on Scan button.
4. It searches for presence of harmful programs, plug-ins, add-ons, or any data that were found malicious and linked to Smart Web Search. You need to Clean all items detected by this tool.
5. Once scan is done, the tool may need to reboot your computer to finalize the cleaning process.
6. After reboot, AdwCleaner will display the log file of the recent scan.
Stage 3: Remove Smart Web Search Add-on and Cleanup the Browser
After the previous scans, you may have deleted Smart Web Search from the affected browser. This next step will ensure that no more module of adware will be left on the browser. This free tool scans and checks the browser for unwanted add-on and extension, and if found, Avast Browser Cleanup will give you a report and suggestion.
1. Download this free tool and save it to your desktop.
Avast Browser Cleanup Download Link (This will open in a new window)
2. Please install the program. Start the process by double-clicking on the executable file avast-browser-cleanup-sfx.exe.
3. When run, Avast Browser Cleanup performs a test on the browser. If unwanted entries were found, it will display a button ‘Remove all add-ons listed below and cleanup browser.’ You may remove all or delete one entry at a time.
4. Avast Browser Cleanup will confirm before it permanently deletes the add-on. Please click Yes to proceed with the removal of Smart Web Search on the affected browser.