Seeing an undesirable application such as Smart Mac Tuneup on the computer can be mistaken for virus activities inside a Mac computer. It was actually classed as rogue security and optimization program that was made solely to swindle money from users. In addition, Smart Mac Tuneup is placed under the risky category of software because it also employs various deceiving tactics and malicious distribution technique to reach its targets – which is obviously vulnerable Mac users.
Normally, the presence of rogue Macintosh application such as Smart Mac Tuneup can be attributed to a large number of intrusive advertisements that purporting to be important software update. These misleading advertisements may appear on the browser as pop-ups, redirects, or banners with enticing contents. It is highly important to make users realize that clicking on these types of intrusive ads may trigger the immediate installation of Smart Mac Tuneup or any unwanted applications with the same fraudulent objective.
When running on the computer, Smart Mac Tuneup occasionally runs a thorough scan and as what other counterfeit tool does, it displays exaggerated results. To further instill worries to computer users, Smart Mac Tuneup continuously propose to fix issues via pop-up alert and warning messages. These types of misleading scheme normally convince victims into purchasing the registered version of Smart Mac Tuneup.
Bear in mind that scans from rogue application such as the subject of this topic is merely a show off. Hundreds to thousands of identified threats and troubles do not really exist on the computer. In fact, Smart Mac Tuneup displays the same outcome even on clean or newly formatted Mac system. Therefore, it is much quicker to remove the rogue tool than to deal with identified issues, which are actually false findings. Complete guide to remove Smart Mac Tuneup is posted below. Carefully follow the instructions and do not forget to scan the computer with recommended tools.
Procedures to Remove Smart Mac Tuneup
This section contains complete instructions to assist you in removing potentially unwanted program from Mac computer.
Procedures published on this page are written in method that can be easily understand and execute by Mac users.
Quick Fix - Scan the Mac Computer with Combo Cleaner
Combo Cleaner is a trusted Mac utility application with complete antivirus and optimization features. It is useful in dealing with adware and malware. Moreover, it can get rid of unwanted program like Smart Mac Tuneup. You may need to purchase full version if you require to maximize its premium features.
1. Download the tool from the following page:
2. Double-click the downloaded file and proceed with the installation.
3. In the opened window, drag and drop the Combo Cleaner icon onto your Applications folder icon.
4. Open your Launchpad and click on the Combo Cleaner icon.
5. Wait until antivirus downloads its latest virus definition updates and click on "Start Combo Scan" to start removing Smart Mac Tuneup.
6. As shown in the image below, Combo Cleaner accurately detects Smart Mac Tuneup rogue program. Proceed with the removal of the virus by upgrading Combo Cleaner to full version.
Free features of Combo Cleaner include Disk Cleaner, Big Files finder, Duplicate files finder, and Uninstaller. To use antivirus and privacy scanner, users have to upgrade to a premium version.
Proceed with the rest of the removal steps if you are comfortable in manually removing malicious objects associated with the threat.
Step 1 : Quit Smart Mac Tuneup Process
Before proceeding with the steps below, please close Smart Mac Tuneup window if in case it is open.
1. Go to Launchpad, Utilities folder, open Activity Monitor.
2. Choose All Processes from the upper right corner of the window.
3. Under Process Name column, look for Smart Mac Tuneup. Click the name to select the malicious process.
4. Next, click the Quit Process button located in the upper left corner of the window.
5. When prompted, click on Force Quit.
6. You may now delete or remove files that belongs to Smart Mac Tuneup. Proceed to the next steps.
Step 2 : Delete Smart Mac Tuneup Login Items
Some malware also installs login item into compromised account under System Preferences. This object automatically runs Smart Mac Tuneup during user log in.
1. Go to Apple menu and choose System Preferences.
2. Select Users & Groups from the preferences window.
3. You may need to Unlock this area in order to make changes. Click on the Lock icon on lower left corner of the window.
4. Next, select user account that runs Smart Mac Tuneup.
5. Click on Login Items tab.
6. Select Smart Mac Tuneup from listed entries and click on the minus [-] button and confirm your actions. Please see image below for reference.
As stated, the creation of Login Items or profile is case-to-case basis. Some unwanted application may add their entry on this section but others are not concern on making one. So, if Smart Mac Tuneup Login item is not present, please continue with the succeeding steps.
Step 3 : Delete Smart Mac Tuneup Application
1. Go to Finder.
2. On the menu, click Go and then, select Applications from the list to open Applications Folder.
3. Find Smart Mac Tuneup or any unwanted program.
4. Drag the Smart Mac Tuneup to Trash Bin to delete the application from Mac.
5. Right-click on Trash icon and click on Empty Trash.
Step 4 : Delete Malicious Files that have installed Smart Mac Tuneup
1. Select and copy the string below to your Clipboard by pressing Command + C on your keyboard.
2. Go to your Finder. From the menu bar please select Go > Go to Folder...
3. Press Command + V on your keyboard to paste the copied string. Press Return to go to the said folder.
4. You will now see a folder named LaunchAgents. Take note of the following files inside the folder:
If you cannot find the specified file, please look for any unfamiliar or suspicious entries. It may be the one causing Smart Mac Tuneup to be present on your Mac. Arranging all items to see the most latest ones may also help you identify recently installed unfamiliar files. Please press Option + Command + 4 on your keyboard to arrange the application list in chronological order.
5. Drag all suspicious files that you may find to Trash.
6. Repeat Step 2, numbers 1-5 procedures on the following folder (without ~):
7. Please restart the computer.
8. Open another folder using the same method as above. Copy and Paste the following string to easily locate the folder.
9. Look for suspicious objects or folders with the following names and drag them to the Trash.
- Smart Mac Tuneup
10. Repeat procedures 8 and 9 on the following folders if necessary.
11. Go to your Finder and open the Applications Folder. Look for subfolders with names similar above and drag them to Trash.
12. Lastly, please Empty your Mac's Trash bin.
Step 5 : Run another Scan using MBAM Tool for Mac
1. Download Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac from the link below.
2. Run Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac. It will check for updates and download if most recent version is available. This is necessary in finding recent malware threats including Smart Mac Tuneup.
3. If it prompts to close all running web browser, please do so. Thus, we advise you to PRINT this guide for your reference before going offline.
4. Once it opens the user interface, please click on Scan button to start scanning your Mac computer.
5. After the scan, Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac will display a list of identified threats, Smart Mac Tuneup is surely part of it. Be sure to select all items in the list. Then, click Remove button to clean the computer.
6. You may now restart the computer.