SkilledSearchAdvise is a suspicious browser extension that can take over the homepage and search settings of internet programs like Google Chrome, Safari, or Firefox. It usually sneaks inside the computer via the installation of malicious third party applications especially freeware that was obtained from distrusted sources. Fake software updates are also another method by cyber crooks to mislead Mac users into installing SkilledSearchAdvise app.
Risks of installing Skilled Search Advise
The questionable browser add-on is presently deemed as potentially unwanted application (PUA) due to the extensive use of deceitful techniques to carry out a sneaky entry on Mac computers. In the majority of the installation cases, computer users are not aware about its entry because the PUA is often integrated to freeware or shareware. In addition, misleading pop-up ads claiming as software update shares in the widespread distribution of SkilledSearchAdvise app.
Once installed on the computer, this malicious browser extension is going to override various settings. In particular, SkilledSearchAdvise is going to replace the current search engine and redirects the outcome to its own selected provider that is currently Search.accessiblelist.com. Once it was able to set everything for its own sake, Mac users will find it difficult to revert the changes. SkilledSearchAdvise have done everything during the infiltration process to limit or deny any modification that will replace or remove it from the browser program.
Aside from unnecessary and unauthorized changes, existence of SkilledSearchAdvise could be the root for aggressive display of pop-up advertisements and redirects. This is not a good thing because it frequently contains malicious links that can open a browser window containing adware or malware.
Risk to privacy and security
SkilledSearchAdvise and similar malicious applications like TotalSearchFunction and SkillFormat, were made with a module that can monitor the browsing habits of web users. It can record data such as search keywords, visited pages, favorite websites, IP address, and so on. This unlawful gathering of data from the browser application often ends up to privacy theft. Attackers are going to misuse the collected information on other phishing and fraudulent online activities.
Removal of SkilledSearchAdvise as soon as possible is advised to prevent the threat from stealing data and further virus contamination. Complete steps to get rid of SkilledSearchAdvise is outlined in the next section. Be sure to follow the guide in exact order to totally eliminate the threat.
Procedures to Remove SkilledSearchAdvise from Mac
This area contains comprehensive procedures to help you remove adware and potentially unwanted program from the computer.
Guide on this page are written in a manner that can be easily understand and execute by Mac users.
Quick Fix - Scan the System with Combo Cleaner
Combo Cleaner is a trusted Mac utility application with complete antivirus and optimization features. It is useful in dealing with adware, malware, and PUP's. Moreover, it can get rid of adware like SkilledSearchAdvise. You may need to purchase full version if you require to maximize its premium features.
1. Download the tool from the following page:
2. Double-click the downloaded file and proceed with the installation.
3. In the opened window, drag and drop the Combo Cleaner icon onto your Applications folder icon.
4. Open your Launchpad and click on the Combo Cleaner icon.
5. Wait until antivirus downloads its latest virus definition updates and click on "Start Combo Scan" to start removing SkilledSearchAdvise.
6. Free features of Combo Cleaner include Disk Cleaner, Big Files finder, Duplicate files finder, and Uninstaller. To use antivirus and privacy scanner, users have to upgrade to a premium version.
Proceed with the rest of the removal steps if you are comfortable in manually removing malicious objects associated with the threat.
Step 1 : Delete SkilledSearchAdvise from Mac Applications
1. Go to Finder.
2. On the menu, click Go and then, select Applications from the list to open Applications Folder.
3. Find SkilledSearchAdvise or any unwanted program.
4. Drag SkilledSearchAdvise to Trash Bin to delete the application from Mac.
5. Right-click on Trash icon and click on Empty Trash.
Step 2 : Remove Browser Extensions that belongs to SkilledSearchAdvise
1. Locate the add-on or extension that is relevant to the adware. To do this, please follow the following depending on affected browser.
Safari - Choose Preferences from the Safari menu, then click the Extensions icon. This will open a window showing all installed extensions.
Chrome - Select Preferences from the Chrome menu, and then click the Extensions link found on the left pane.
Firefox - Choose Add-ons from the Menu. Look at both the Extensions and Plug-ins lists when it opens a new window.
2. Once you have located SkilledSearchAdvise, click on Remove or Uninstall, to get rid of it.
3. Close the browser and proceed to the next steps.
Step 3 : Delete Malicious Files that have installed SkilledSearchAdvise
1. Select and copy the string below to your Clipboard by pressing Command + C on your keyboard.
2. Go to your Finder. From the menu bar please select Go > Go to Folder...
3. Press Command + V on your keyboard to paste the copied string. Press Return to go to the said folder.
4. You will now see a folder named LaunchAgents. Take note of the following files inside the folder:
The term unknown is just a representation of the actual malware name. Attackers may masks the actual name with following:
- Skilled Search Advise, AdLoad
If you cannot find the specified file, please look for any unfamiliar or suspicious entries. It may be the one causing SkilledSearchAdvise to be present on your Mac. Arranging all items to see the most latest ones may also help you identify recently installed unfamiliar files. Please press Option + Command + 4 on your keyboard to arrange the application list in chronological order.
Important: Take note of all the suspicious files as you may also delete the same item on another folder as we go on.
5. Drag all suspicious files that you may find to Trash.
6. Please restart the computer.
7. Open another folder using the same method as above. Copy and Paste the following string to easily locate the folder.
8. Look for any suspicious items that are similar to the ones in Step 4. Drag them to the Trash.
9. Repeat the process on the following non-hidden folders (without ~):
10. Lastly, go to your Finder and open the Applications Folder. Look for subfolders with the following names and drag them to Trash.
- Skilled Search Advise, AdLoad
Optional : For locked files that cannot be removed, do the following:
1. Go to Launchpad, Utilities folder, open Activity Monitor.
2. Select the process you want to quit.
3. Click on Force Quit button.
4. You may now delete or remove locked files that belongs to SkilledSearchAdvise adware.
Step 4 : Double-check with MBAM Tool for Mac
1. Download Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac from this link:
2. Run Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac. It will check for updates and download if most recent version is available. This is necessary in finding recent malware threats including SkilledSearchAdvise.
3. If it prompts to close all running web browser, please do so. Thus, we advise you to PRINT this guide for your reference before going offline.
4. Once it opens the user interface, please click on Scan button to start scanning your Mac computer.
5. After the scan, Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac will display a list of identified threats, SkilledSearchAdvise is surely part of it. Be sure to select all items in the list. Then, click Remove button to clean the computer.
Step 5 : Remove SkilledSearchAdvise from Homepage and Search
- Open your Safari browser.
- Go to Safari Menu located on upper left hand corner, and then select Preferences.
- Under General tab, navigate to Default Search Engine section and select Google or any valid search engine.
- Next, be sure that "New Windows Open With" field is set to Homepage.
- Lastly, remove SkilledSearchAdvise from the Homepage field. Replace it with your preferred URL to be set as your default homepage.
- Open Chrome browser.
- Type the following on the address bar and press Enter on keyboard : chrome://settings/
- Look for 'On Startup' area.
- Select 'Open a specific page or set of pages'.
- Click on More Actions and select Edit.
- Enter the desired web address as your home page, replacing SkilledSearchAdvise. Click Save.
- To set default search engine, go to Search Engine area.
- Click on 'Manage search engines...' button.
- Go to questionable Search Engine. Click on More Actions and Click 'Remove from list'.
- Go back to Search Engine area and choose valid entry from Search engine used in the address bar.
- Run Mozilla Firefox browser.
- Type the following on the address bar and hit Enter on keyboard : about:preferences
- On Startup area, select 'Show your home page' under 'When Firefox starts' field.
- Under Home Page field, type the desired URL to replace SkilledSearchAdvise settings.
- To configure default search engine, select Search on left sidebar to display settings.
- Under Default Search Engine list, please select one.
- On the same page, you have an option to Remove unwanted search engine.
Optional : If unable to change browser settings, execute these steps:
Some user complains that there is no way to change browser settings because it is grayed out by SkilledSearchAdvise. In such situation, it is important to check if there is unwanted profile. Please do the following:
1. Quit any running applications and launch System Preferences from your Dock.
2. Under System Preferences, click Profiles.
3. Select SkilledSearchAdvise or any relevant profile from the left pane. See image below.
4. At the bottom of this window, click minus [-] button to delete the account. Please refer to image above.
5. Close the Profiles window and open the affected browser to change all settings associated with SkilledSearchAdvise.