Similar Photo Cleaner for Mac is another doubtful optimization tool from infamous PCVARK family. This specific program claims to be the best duplicate photo finder and removal application. By using this tool, users can free up gigabytes of disk space according to Similar Photo Cleaner’s official website. However, before it unleashes full functionality, users must pay for the licensed version of the program.
Computer security experts consider this product as another intrusive unwanted program. It capitalizes on malicious advertising campaign to spread over the internet. Thus, users may acquire Similar Photo Cleaner from pop-up ads, browser redirects, banners, and paid links. In addition, victims are targeted through deceiving software bundles that masks as useful utilities, media player, download manager, and bogus software update.
Once installed fully on Mac computer, Similar Photo Cleaner starts to produce mock-up scans on the computer showing huge amount of duplicate images. Then, it advises users to fix it to free up disk space, which according to this tool is one way to optimize system performance. However, the program only permits fixing identified troubles if user purchases the licensed version of Similar Photo Cleaner.
As mentioned, all scans and identified problem by this rogue application are all simulated. Meaning, it does not really exists on the computer or it has no effect on system performance at all. Similar Photo Cleaner is employing traditional scare tactics to persuade users into buying the registered version of the program.
To sum it up, users do not really need Similar Photo Cleaner to optimize Mac computer. Besides, other free tools can provide the same functionality but do not force users for online purchases. Therefore, we highly suggest immediate removal of Similar Photo Cleaner to stop any disturbances and pushy endorsements.
Procedures to Remove Similar Photo Cleaner
This section contains complete instructions to assist you in removing potentially unwanted program from Mac system.
Procedures published on this page are written in method that can be easily understand and execute by Mac users.
Step 1 : Quick Fix - Scan the System with Combo Cleaner
Combo Cleaner is a trusted Mac utility application with complete antivirus and optimization features. It is useful in dealing with adware, malware, and PUP's. Moreover, it can get rid of malicious browser hijacker like Similar Photo Cleaner. You may need to purchase full version if you require to maximize its premium features.
1. Download the tool from the following page:
Click here to Download Combo Cleaner (this will open a new window)
2. Double-click the downloaded file and proceed with the installation.
3. In the opened window, drag and drop the Combo Cleaner icon onto your Applications folder icon.
4. Open your Launchpad and click on the Combo Cleaner icon.
5. Wait until antivirus downloads it's latest virus definition updates and click on "Start Combo Scan" to start removing Similar Photo Cleaner.
6. Free features of Combo Cleaner include Disk Cleaner, Big Files finder, Duplicate files finder, and Uninstaller. To use antivirus and privacy scanner, users have to upgrade to a premium version.
Proceed with the rest of the removal steps if you are comfortable in manually removing malicious objects associated with the threat.
Step 2 : Quit Similar Photo Cleaner Process
Before proceeding with the steps below, please close Similar Photo Cleaner window if in case it is open.
1. Go to Launchpad, Utilities folder, open Activity Monitor.
2. Choose All Processes from the upper right corner of the window.
3. Under Process Name column, look for Similar Photo Cleaner. Click the name to select the malicious process.
4. Next, click the Quit Process button located in the upper left corner of the window.
5. When prompted, click on Force Quit.
6. You may now delete or remove files that belongs to Similar Photo Cleaner. Proceed to the next steps.
Step 3 : Delete Similar Photo Cleaner Login Items
Some malware also installs login item into compromised account under System Preferences. This object automatically runs Similar Photo Cleaner during user log in.
1. Go to Apple menu and choose System Preferences.
2. Select Users & Groups from the preferences window.
3. You may need to Unlock this area in order to make changes. Click on the Lock icon on lower left corner of the window.
4. Next, select user account that runs Similar Photo Cleaner.
5. Click on Login Items tab.
6. Select Similar Photo Cleaner from listed entries and click on the minus [-] button and confirm your actions. Please see image below for reference.
Step 4 : Delete Malicious Files that have installed Similar Photo Cleaner
1. Select and copy the string below to your Clipboard by pressing Command + C on your keyboard.
2. Go to your Finder. From the menu bar please select Go > Go to Folder...
3. Press Command + V on your keyboard to paste the copied string. Press Return to go to the said folder.
4. You will now see a folder named LaunchAgents. Take note of the following files inside the folder:
If you cannot find the specified file, please look for any unfamiliar or suspicious entries. It may be the one causing the Similar Photo Cleaner to be present on your Mac. Arranging all items to see the most latest ones may also help you identify recently installed unfamiliar files. Please press Option + Command + 4 on your keyboard to arrange the application list in chronological order.
5. Drag all suspicious files that you may find to Trash.
6. Repeat Step 2, numbers 1-5 procedures on the following folder (without ~):
7. Please restart the computer.
8. Open another folder using the same method as above. Copy and Paste the following string to easily locate the folder.
9. Look for suspicious objects or folders with the following names and drag them to the Trash.
10. Repeat procedures 8 and 9 on the following folders if necessary.
11. Go to your Finder and open the Applications Folder. Look for subfolders with names similar above and drag them to Trash.
12. Lastly, please Empty your Mac's Trash bin.
Step 5 : Run another Scan using MBAM Tool for Mac
1. Download Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac from this link:
Click here to download MBAM for Mac (this will open a new window)
2. Run Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac. It will check for updates and download if most recent version is available. This is necessary in finding recent malware threats including Similar Photo Cleaner.
3. If it prompts to close all running web browser, please do so. Thus, we advise you to PRINT this guide for your reference before going offline.
4. Once it opens the user interface, please click on Scan button to start scanning your Mac computer.
5. After the scan, Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac will display a list of identified threats, Similar Photo Cleaner is surely part of it. Be sure to select all items in the list. Then, click Remove button to clean the computer.
6. You may now restart the computer.