Secure Chrome Pro is a browser extension that is compatible to Google Chrome. It is promoted as a tool that protects the computer from online threats like unrecognized website, phishing, and malicious pages. After successful installation of Secure Chrome Pro, it will execute certain modification on the browser. Homepage and default search engine will resolve to suspicious search provider at defendsearch.com. Every searches made on Chrome browser are diverted to said web address.
After some tests, the only security feature we found on this extension is an integrated icon on the toolbar that when clicked will analyze if the site is safe. In reality, it never provides any security measures at all. Secure Chrome Pro’s assessment on the site is just an outcome of a query it sends from Phishtank website. You can never receive an alert before the browser interacts with malicious websites and pages.
We also noticed that Secure Chrome Pro is promoted in the same way most Adware and Potentially Unwanted Program (PUP) does. They are using deceiving tactics through a number of browser redirects and pop-up windows. Victims usually end-up on malicious webpage that uses misleading alerts in order to sway user to download and install Secure Chrome Pro.
Since this program spreads all over the internet in malevolent manner, user must be worried how it may affect the computer when installed. Its dishonest approach is somehow suspicious. If you feel that your computer’s safety is at risk during the presence of Secure Chrome Pro, you can execute the guide below to fully delete this program.
How to Remove Secure Chrome Pro
This section contains comprehensive guide to help you remove threats from the affected computer.
Procedures on this page are written in a manner that can be easily understand and execute by computer users.
Step 1 : Use Add/Remove program of Windows to Uninstall Secure Chrome Pro
The main cause of pop-up ads and coupons could be software that you may have installed on the computer. We need to uninstall the culprit program.
1. Click Windows Start button. Next, select Control Panel from the list. Alternatively, press Windows key + R on keyboard and run appwiz.cpl command.
2. Find the ‘Programs‘ area and click on Uninstall a program. This opens up a window showing existing software installed.
3. Look for and remove Secure Chrome Pro entry. If not present, look for any suspicious labels that was installed recently.
4. Click on Uninstall to start removing the program.
Step 2: Scan and Delete Adware with AdwCleaner
1. Download the tool called AdwCleaner from the location stated below.
Click here to download AdwCleaner (this will open a new window)
2. Once you have completed the download, please close all running programs on the computer.
3. Locate the file and double-click on adwcleaner_Ver.exe to start running the tool. Then, click on Scan button.
4. It searches for presence of harmful programs, plug-ins, add-ons, or any data that were found malicious and linked to Secure Chrome Pro. You need to Clean all items detected by this tool.
5. Once scan is done, the tool may need to reboot your computer to finalize the cleaning process.
6. After reboot, AdwCleaner will display the log file of the recent scan.
Step 3: Remove Adware Add-on and Cleanup the Browser
After the previous scans, you may have deleted Secure Chrome Pro from the affected browser. This next step will ensure that no more module of adware will be left on the browser. This free tool scans and checks the browser for unwanted add-on and extension, and if found, Avast Browser Cleanup will give you a report and suggestion.
1. Download this free tool and save it to your desktop.
Avast Browser Cleanup Download Link (This will open in a new window)
2. Please install the program. Start the process by double-clicking on the executable file avast-browser-cleanup-sfx.exe.
3. When run, Avast Browser Cleanup performs a test on the browser. If unwanted entries were found, it will display a button ‘Remove all add-ons listed below and cleanup browser.’ You may remove all or delete one entry at a time.
4. Avast Browser Cleanup will confirm before it permanently deletes the add-on. Please click Yes to proceed with the removal of Secure Chrome Pro on the affected browser.
Step 4: Remove Secure Chrome Pro from Google Chrome
Option 1 – Delete Malicious Extension from Chrome Browser
One way to remove Secure Chrome Pro from Google Chrome is simply to delete the Extension. Please follow these steps:
1. Open Google Chrome browser.
2. Type the following in the address bar: chrome://extensions
3. On Extensions window, please delete Secure Chrome Pro by clicking on Remove or Trash icon.
4. Google Chrome will prompt for the confirmation of Secure Chrome Pro removal. Please click on Remove button to proceed.
5. You may now restart Chrome browser.
Option 2 – Restore Google Chrome to Default Settings
Resetting Google Chrome to default settings is helpful in deleting hard-to-remove extension such as from Secure Chrome Pro. This method is highly advisable to perform if you have difficulty in removing unwanted extension.
1. Open Google Chrome application.
2. In the address bar please type the this string: chrome://settings/ and then, press Enter on keyboard.
3. Scroll down to bottom, then click Advanced…
4. Scroll to the bottom of the page until you see Reset and Clean Up section.
5. Click on Restore settings to their original defaults. If it prompts for confirmation, please click Reset Settings button to proceed.
This function will reset your home page, new tab page, search engine, and other areas affected by Secure Chrome Pro. Unwanted extensions will also be removed from the browser. This will not affect your bookmarks, history, and other saved data. You may also run Chrome Cleanup function from this page. An integrated tool from Google Chrome but with more advanced Adware scanner feature.