Searchssmart.com is a browser hijacker that can be placed on homepage by Smart Search extension. Unfortunately, only handful computer users are well informed that this unwanted program is successfully distributed over the internet by enclosing the installer file to a number of freeware or shareware. Hence, Searchssmart.com can freely enter the computer if user patronizes the guilty free software. Some users are totally wary on this attack but they accidentally catches this adware while in pursuit of cost-less application with attractive features.
With many web users currently relying on free programs and keeps on acquiring them without caring for their safety, achieving the extinction of browser hijacker like Searchssmart.com is quite impossible. In fact, it has evolved from simple homepage hijacker to becoming thieves of personal online data. Initially, homepage hijackers were made as profit generating adware that exhibits advertisements on the browser and operates under pay-per-click settlement between advertisers and adware makers. In recent years, it progresses as an app that is able to monitor browsing habit of web users and capable of logging search keywords, favorite websites, IP address and geographical location.
Makers of Searchssmart.com and other browser hijackers discover an opportunity to maximize the adware existence on internet applications to elevate their revenue. Collected information from infected browser may land on third-party online marketing company if adware makers agree to sell the data. This multi-million dollar business is rationale why makers of Searchssmart.com want limitless access to browser programs.
To stop Searchssmart.com from exploiting the browser, it is significant to eliminate the extension as soon as possible. These procedures also restore online privacy and security of users. Though it is quite a challenge to remove Searchssmart.com, our guide is so basic that even non-technical users can execute.
Searchssmart.com Removal Procedures
This section contains comprehensive guide to help you remove threats from the affected computer.
Procedures on this page are written in a manner that can be easily understand and execute by computer users.
Step 1 : Remove Searchssmart.com from Google Chrome
We are presenting various options to remove Searchssmart.com from Google Chrome browser using only internal functions and approach. Most of browser annoyances can be fixed via these processes. If Searchssmart.com persists after executing these steps, it is better to run anti-malware scan as suggested below.
Option 1 – Delete Malicious Extension from Chrome Browser
One way to remove Searchssmart.com from Google Chrome is simply to delete the Extension. Please follow these steps:
1. Open Google Chrome browser.
2. Type the following in the address bar: chrome://extensions
3. On Extensions window, please delete Searchssmart.com or Smart Search by clicking on Remove or Trash icon.
4. Google Chrome will prompt for the confirmation of Searchssmart.com removal. Please click on Remove button to proceed.
5. You may now restart Chrome browser.
Option 2 – Restore Google Chrome to Default Settings
Resetting Google Chrome to default settings is helpful in deleting hard-to-remove extension such as from Searchssmart.com. This method is highly advisable to perform if you have difficulty in removing unwanted extension.
1. Open Google Chrome application.
2. In the address bar, please type the this string: chrome://settings/ and then, press Enter on keyboard.
3. Scroll down, then click Advanced…
4. Scroll to the bottom of the page until you see Reset and Clean Up section.
5. Click on Restore settings to their original defaults button. If it prompts for confirmation, please click Reset Settings to proceed.
This function will reset your home page, new tab page, search engine, and other areas affected by Searchssmart.com. Unwanted extensions will also be removed from the browser. This will not affect your bookmarks, history, and other saved data.
Option 3 – Use Google Chrome Clean Up Feature
1. On Google Chrome address bar, input this string: chrome://settings/cleanup and then press Enter on keyboard.
2. Click Find button to start scanning the computer.
Step 2 : Use Add/Remove program of Windows to Uninstall Searchssmart.com
The main cause of homepage hijacking and browser redirect could be software that you may have installed on the computer. We need to uninstall the culprit program.
1. Click Windows Start button. Next, select Control Panel from the list. Alternatively, press Windows key + R on keyboard and run appwiz.cpl command.
2. Find the ‘Programs‘ area and click on Uninstall a program. This opens up a window showing existing software installed.
3. Look for and remove Searchssmart.com or Smart Search entry. If not present, look for any suspicious labels that was installed recently.
4. Click on Uninstall to start removing the program.
Step 3 : Scan the computer with MBAM Tool
1. Download the free anti-malware scanner called MalwareBytes Anti-Malware.
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Download Link (this will open a new window)
2. After downloading, install the program. It may run automatically or you have to double-click on the downloaded file MBSetup.exe.
3. Proceed with the installation using only the default setup. If you need the complete setup procedure, it is available on the download page.
4. After the installation process, click Get Started to run the program.
5. Continue with the prompts until the main program opens.
6. On Malwarebytes Anti-malware console, click on Scan to run the most comprehensive detection method and find any hidden items linked to Searchssmart.com.
7. Wait for the anti-malware to finish scanning the computer.
8. When scanning is done, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware will display the list of identified threats. Remove all identified threats including Searchssmart.com and restart the computer to finalized the scan process.
Step 4 : Scan and Delete Adware with AdwCleaner
1. Download the tool called AdwCleaner from the location stated below.
Click here to download AdwCleaner (this will open a new window)
2. Once you have completed the download, please close all running programs on the computer.
3. Locate the file and double-click on adwcleaner_Ver.exe to start running the tool. Then, click on Scan button.
4. It searches for presence of harmful programs, plug-ins, add-ons, or any data that were found malicious and linked to Searchssmart.com. You need to Clean all items detected by this tool.
5. Once scan is done, the tool may need to reboot your computer to finalize the cleaning process.
6. After reboot, AdwCleaner will display the log file of the recent scan.