Google Chrome extension called Search Web is part of adware group that produces many similar browser annoyances. This specific program promises to enhance online search experience of users. However, during diagnostics, it seems that it is just utilizing Yahoo Search. It means that Search Web do not have own capacity to support its claims. Unfortunately, the address Services.searchtabnew.com, where it first redirects user’s online inquiry is deemed suspicious. Browser is intentionally directed to the address so that makers of Search Web can collect vital information from browsing activity of user.
Similar to most adware from the same group, Search Web may enter the computer without user’s full knowledge. It is typically part of free software bundles that can be downloaded from random websites. During installation of freeware, Search Web likewise loads onto the computer even without user’s interaction. It was designed to be installed automatically and secretly.
Intrusive actions accomplishes by Search Web is one reason why many computer users considered it as virus. Technically, this unwanted program is best categorized as Adware. It is an ad-supported application with main objective of generating online profit through advertisements that it will project on browser’s pages. Still, security experts suggest that it is best to remove Search Web because it can still put computer at risks. It may not be a computer virus but it has means to redirect browser to malicious websites that can lead to further adware or malware infection.
Proper way to remove Search Web is posted on this page. Be sure to execute the procedures in exact order to ensure complete removal of the adware.
How to Remove Search Web
This section contains comprehensive guide to help you remove threats from the affected computer.
Procedures on this page are written in a manner that can be easily understand and execute by computer users.
Step 1 : Remove Search Web from Google Chrome
We are presenting various options to remove Search Web from Google Chrome browser using only internal functions and approach. Most of browser annoyances can be fixed via these processes. If Search Web persists after executing these steps, it is better to run anti-malware scan as suggested below.
Option 1 – Delete Malicious Extension from Chrome Browser
One way to remove Search Web from Google Chrome is simply to delete the Extension. Please follow these steps:
1. Open Google Chrome browser.
2. Type the following in the address bar: chrome://extensions
3. On Extensions window, please delete Search Web by clicking on Remove or Trash icon.
4. Google Chrome will prompt for the confirmation of Search Web removal. Please click on Remove button to proceed.
5. You may now restart Chrome browser.
Option 2 – Restore Google Chrome to Default Settings
Resetting Google Chrome to default settings is helpful in deleting hard-to-remove extension such as from Search Web. This method is highly advisable to perform if you have difficulty in removing unwanted extension.
1. Open Google Chrome application.
2. In the address bar, please type the this string: chrome://settings/ and then, press Enter on keyboard.
3. Scroll down, then click Advanced…
4. Scroll to the bottom of the page until you see Reset and Clean Up section.
5. Click on Restore settings to their original defaults button. If it prompts for confirmation, please click Reset Settings to proceed.
This function will reset your home page, new tab page, search engine, and other areas affected by Search Web. Unwanted extensions will also be removed from the browser. This will not affect your bookmarks, history, and other saved data.
Option 3 – Use Google Chrome Clean Up Feature
1. On Google Chrome address bar, input this string: chrome://settings/cleanup and then press Enter on keyboard.
2. Click Find button to start scanning the computer.
Step 2 : Use Add/Remove program of Windows to Uninstall Search Web
The main cause of homepage hijacking and browser redirect could be software that you may have installed on the computer. We need to uninstall the culprit program.
1. Click Windows Start button. Next, select Control Panel from the list. Alternatively, press Windows key + R on keyboard and run appwiz.cpl command.
2. Find the ‘Programs‘ area and click on Uninstall a program. This opens up a window showing existing software installed.
3. Look for and remove Search Web entry. If not present, look for any suspicious labels that was installed recently.
4. Click on Uninstall to start removing the program.
Step 3 : Scan the computer with MBAM Tool
1. Download the free anti-malware scanner called MalwareBytes Anti-Malware.
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Download Link (this will open a new window)
2. After downloading, install the program. It may run automatically or you have to double-click on the downloaded file mb3-setup-consumer-x.x.x.xxxx.exe.
3. Proceed with the installation using only the default setup. If you need the complete setup procedure, it is available on the download page.
4. At the last stage of installation process, click Finish to run the program.
5. On Malwarebytes Anti-Malware console, select Scan from the menu to see available Scan Method.
6. Next, click on Threat Scan. This is the most comprehensive scan method that will surely find any hidden items linked to Search Web.
7. Click Start Scan button to begin checking the computer.
8. When scanning is done, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware will display the list of identified threats. Remove all identified threats including Search Web and restart the computer to finalized the scan process.
Step 4 : Scan and Delete Adware with AdwCleaner
1. Download the tool called AdwCleaner from the location stated below.
Click here to download AdwCleaner (this will open a new window)
2. Once you have completed the download, please close all running programs on the computer.
3. Locate the file and double-click on adwcleaner_Ver.exe to start running the tool. Then, click on Scan button.
4. It searches for presence of harmful programs, plug-ins, add-ons, or any data that were found malicious and linked to Search Web. You need to Clean all items detected by this tool.
5. Once scan is done, the tool may need to reboot your computer to finalize the cleaning process.
6. After reboot, AdwCleaner will display the log file of the recent scan.