Search.safefinderformac.com is a suspicious search engine that normally sneaks into Macintosh system by means of adware. It also spreads through a number of promotional links and freeware where it is packed as a bundled tool. Search.safefinderformac.com does not require authority from user to get installed. In particular, Safe Finder program is in-charge for loading this browser hijacker and other potentially unwanted programs.
Once the unwanted application is installed, there will be obvious changes on the browser. Start-up page, homepage, and new tab will reveal a new search bar. In addition, there will be browser redirect issues when doing online search via Search.safefinderformac.com. It may also manipulate search results and include sponsored links that are too deceiving.
Existence of Search.safefinderformac.com and its main program only denotes that your Mac system is under the attack of PUP. Sometimes, scanning the computer with installed anti-virus program may partially help solve the issue. However, it may not fully eradicate all malicious objects. Hence, Search.safefinderformac.com may reappear after rebooting the computer.
It is highly advice to thoroughly remove Search.safefinderformac.com. Presence of this adware not only bring annoyances. Your online privacy is also at risk because it has built-in monitoring module that can record online browsing activities.
To totally eliminate Search.safefinderformac.com and all other adware from the computer, we highly advised to run a scan of anti-malware program. This tool is provided on the removal procedures below. Execute the guide in exact manner to ensure that Search.safefinderformac.com will never recur on your computer.
Online Security Scanner Report for search.safefinderformac.com:
|Not yet tested||Community Rating: 0.0||Updated: Nov. 22, 2016|
|Link is safe||Feedback: No Data||Updated: Nov. 22, 2016|
|Currently safe||Ratings: No Data||Updated: Nov. 22, 2016|
Procedures to Remove Search.safefinderformac.com Adware from Mac
Below is a simple procedure to help you get rid of Search.safefinderformac.com from Macintosh system. Removal of the adware on various browser is also included.
It is highly suggested that you carry out all the steps in exact manner to effectively get rid of malware.
Step 1: Remove Browser Extensions that belongs to Search.safefinderformac.com
1. Locate the add-on or extension that is relevant to the adware i.e. Search.safefinderformac.com, Safe Finder. To do this, please follow the following depending on affected browser.
Safari – Choose Preferences from the Safari menu, then click the Extensions icon. This will open a window showing all installed extensions.
Chrome – Select Preferences from the Chrome menu, and then click the Extensions link found on the left pane.
Firefox – Choose Add-ons from the Tools menu. Look at both the Extensions and Plugins lists when it opens a new window.
2. Once you have located Search.safefinderformac.com, click on Remove or Uninstall, to get rid of it.
3. Close the browser and proceed to the next steps.
Step 2: Delete Malicious Files that have installed Search.safefinderformac.com
1. Select and copy the string below to your Clipboard by pressing Command + C on your keyboard.
2. Go to your Finder. From the menu bar please select Go > Go to Folder…
3. Press Command + V on your keyboard to paste the copied string. Press Return to go to the said folder.
4. You will now see a folder named LaunchAgents. Take note of the following files inside the folder:
If you cannot find the specified file, please look for any unfamiliar or suspicious entries. It may be the one causing the Search.safefinderformac.com to be present on your Mac. Arranging all items to see the most recent ones may also help you identify recently installed unfamiliar files. Please press Option + Command + 4 on your keyboard to arrange the application list in chronological order.
5. Drag all suspicious files that you may find to Trash.
6. Repeat Step 2, numbers 1-5 procedures on the following folder (without ~):
7. Please restart the computer.
8. Open another folder using the same method as above. Copy and Paste the following string to easily locate the folder.
9. Look for any suspicious items that are similar to the ones in Step2, number 4. Drag them to the Trash.
10. Go to your Finder and open the Applications Folder. Look for subfolders with the following names and drag them to Trash.
- Safe Finder
Optional: For locked files that cannot be removed, do the following:
1. Go to Launchpad, Utilities folder, open Activity Monitor.
2. Select the process you want to quit.
3. Click on Force Quit button.
4. You may now delete or remove locked files that belongs to SafeFinder.
Step 3: Scan the System with Adware Removal Tool for Mac
1. Download Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac from this link:
Click here to download MBAM for Mac (this will open a new window)
2. Run Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac. It will check for updates and download if most recent version is available. This is necessary in finding recent malware threats including Search.safefinderformac.com.
3. If it prompts to close all running web browser, please do so. Thus, we advise you to PRINT this guide for your reference before going offline.
4. Once it opens the user interface, please click on Scan button to start scanning your Mac computer.
5. After the scan, Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac will display a list of identified threats, Search.safefinderformac.com is surely part of it. Be sure to select all items in the list. Then, click Remove button to clean the computer.
Step 4: Remove Search.safefinderformac.com from Safari Home Page and Search
1. Open Apple menu and select Force Quit. You can also press Command + Option + Esc on the keyboard to access this feature.
2. From the list of applications, select Safari, and then click on Force Quit button. Wait for Safari browser to close.
3. Now, hold down Shift key and launch Safari. Do this to avoid opening any unwanted window from Search.safefinderformac.com.
4. Go to Safari Menu located on upper left hand corner, and then select Preferences.
5. Under General tab, type the desired URL on Home Page area.
6. To set the default search engine, please go back to Safari Preferences.
7. Click on Search and select the desired search engine from the list to override Search.safefinderformac.com custom search engine.