Search Private is a browser extension that asserts to let you surf the web in total privacy. This striking feature is the core reason why some computer users are deceived to settle with Search Private even though they did not install it personally.
Normally, adware such as Search Private come into computer via third-party programs. It can be shareware as free games, tools, download manager, media player, or bogus software update. This compelling bundle of products never seeks user’s approval before it unloads various applications onto the computer. As such, user may unconsciously have Search Private adware in the PC after downloading and installing freeware that was obtained from questionable sources.
Search Private is presently ranked as poor browser extension. In fact, it is in the category of adware. This simply means that there are certain risks on the computer as long as Search Private is present. For instance, home page will have a new default unwanted search engine. Affected internet browser may also be redirected to various unsolicited malware sites.
Rapid changes made by this adware on the browser also causes some annoyances like extreme display of pop-up ads and full-page banners. Ads by Search Private continuously appear on the browser as long as it senses an internet connection. The only way to stop this money-driven commercial is to totally get rid of the adware. Therefore, we have made a systematic approach so that user may effectively remove Search Private from the computer. Please see the complete procedures below.
How to Remove Search Private
This section contains comprehensive guide to help you remove threats from the affected computer.
It is highly suggested that you carry out all the steps in exact manner to effectively get rid of malware.
Step 1 : Use Add/Remove program of Windows to Uninstall Search Private
The main cause of pop-up ads and coupons could be software that you may have installed on the computer. We need to uninstall the culprit program.
1. Click Windows Start button. Next, select Control Panel from the list. Alternatively, press Windows key + R on keyboard and run appwiz.cpl command.
2. Find the ‘Programs‘ area and click on Uninstall a program. This opens up a window showing existing software installed.
3. Look for and remove Search Private entry. If not present, look for any suspicious labels that was installed recently.
4. Click on Uninstall to start removing the program.
Step 2: Scan and Delete Adware with AdwCleaner
1. Download the tool called AdwCleaner from the location stated below.
Click here to download AdwCleaner (this will open a new window)
2. Once you have completed the download, please close all running programs on the computer.
3. Locate the file and double-click on adwcleaner_Ver.exe to start running the tool. Then, click on Scan button.
4. It searches for presence of harmful programs, plug-ins, add-ons, or any data that were found malicious and linked to Search Private. You need to Clean all items detected by this tool.
5. Once scan is done, the tool may need to reboot your computer to finalize the cleaning process.
6. After reboot, AdwCleaner will display the log file of the recent scan.
Step 3: Remove Adware Add-on and Cleanup the Browser
After the previous scans, you may have deleted Search Private from the affected browser. This next step will ensure that no more module of adware will be left on the browser. This free tool scans and checks the browser for unwanted add-on and extension, and if found, Avast Browser Cleanup will give you a report and suggestion.
1. Download this free tool and save it to your desktop.
Avast Browser Cleanup Download Link (This will open in a new window)
2. Please install the program. Start the process by double-clicking on the executable file avast-browser-cleanup-sfx.exe.
3. When run, Avast Browser Cleanup performs a test on the browser. If unwanted entries were found, it will display a button ‘Remove all add-ons listed below and cleanup browser.’ You may remove all or delete one entry at a time.
4. Avast Browser Cleanup will confirm before it permanently deletes the add-on. Please click Yes to proceed with the removal of Search Private on the affected browser.
Step 4: Remove Search Private from Google Chrome
Option 1 – Delete Malicious Extension from Chrome Browser
One way to remove Search Private from Google Chrome is simply to delete the Extension. Please follow these steps:
1. Open Google Chrome browser.
2. Type the following in the address bar: chrome://extensions
3. On Extensions window, please delete Search Private by clicking on Trash icon.
4. Google Chrome will prompt for the confirmation of Search Private removal. Please click on Remove button to proceed.
5. You may now restart Chrome browser.
Option 2 – Restore Google Chrome to Default Settings
Resetting Google Chrome to default settings is helpful in deleting hard-to-remove extension such as from Search Private. This method is highly advisable to perform if you have difficulty in removing unwanted extension.
1. Open Google Chrome application.
2. In the address bar please type the this string: chrome://settings/ and then, press Enter on keyboard.
3. Scroll down, then click Show advanced settings…
4. Scroll to the bottom of the page until you see Reset Settings section.
5. Click on Reset Settings button. If it prompts for confirmation, please click Reset to proceed.
This function will reset your home page, new tab page, search engine, and other areas affected by Search Private. Unwanted extensions will also be removed from the browser. This will not affect your bookmarks, history, and other saved data. You may also download Chrome Cleanup Tool from this page. A stand-alone reset tool from Google Chrome but with more advanced Adware scanner feature.
Step 5: Remove Search Private from Firefox
Reset Mozilla Firefox to Default
This section describes how to remove unwanted extension from Firefox that may be related to Search Private. This process can fix many browser issues by restoring Firefox to factory settings without affecting your essential information (bookmarks, browsing history, passwords, and Internet cookies) on the browser. If you desire to remove only specific extension, please see manual removal of add-on from Firefox.
1. Navigate to Firefox menu at the top of the browser and access the Help area. Click on Troubleshooting Information.
2. A new tab will appear. You will notice a section on upper-right corner of the screen stating Reset Firefox to its default state. Click the Reset Firefox button.
3. If confirmation window appears, click Reset Firefox to continue.
4. Firefox browser will close and start the resetting process. When done, it will display a list of restored data. Search Private should be gone by now. Click Finish to open a fresh version of Firefox.