Search Privacy extension that was specifically made for Google Chrome browser is currently deemed as part of Adware group. It was noticed that this program typically arrived on the computer together with certain adware and PUP’s. To easily deploy Search Privacy, it is bundled to freeware and shareware and made available on several servers all over the internet.
Search Privacy is endorsed as a tool that protects user’s privacy online especially when doing search. It claims to redirect your search inquiry to their secured server instead of processing it on normal search engines, which tracks you and your searches. Redirection to their server is indeed true, in fact after having Search Privacy, all search inquiry are redirected to info.searchprivacy.co, privacysearch.me, or searchprivacy1.co. However, securing your searches is one thing that we cannot confirm nor deny. Hence, using this dubious search plug-in floods the browser with extensive advertisements especially on search result page.
We can concur that it is unsafe to have Search Privacy on your browser. Like most browser hijacker, this extension is relying on deceptive search results and excessive display of advertisements to generate profit. Displaying ads relevant to current or previous queries also confirms that it is also designed to monitor online searches and inquiries. It is also bound to collect data from computer including IP Address, Search Term, Preferences, and many more. Therefore, your online privacy is also at risk during the existence of Search Privacy.
Remove Search Privacy from your computer as soon as possible before it can cause further harm on the browser as well as computer. Below is a simple guide that you can use to get rid of this adware. Be sure to scan the computer with suggested tools to find and delete any other adware that are residing on the PC.
Online Security Scanner Report for searchprivacy.co:
|No issues||Community Rating: 3.0/5.0||Updated: Oct. 2, 2017|
|Minimal risk||Feedback: No data||Updated: Oct. 2, 2017|
|Currently Safe||Feedback: No data||Updated: Oct. 2, 2017|
How to Remove Search Privacy
This section contains comprehensive guide to help you remove threats from the affected computer.
Procedures on this page are written in a manner that can be easily understand and execute by computer users.
Step 1 : Use Add/Remove program of Windows to Uninstall Search Privacy
The main cause of pop-up ads and coupons could be software that you may have installed on the computer. We need to uninstall the culprit program.
1. Click Windows Start button. Next, select Control Panel from the list. Alternatively, press Windows key + R on keyboard and run appwiz.cpl command.
2. Find the ‘Programs‘ area and click on Uninstall a program. This opens up a window showing existing software installed.
3. Look for and remove Search Privacy or SearchPrivacy.co entry. If not present, look for any suspicious labels that was installed recently.
4. Click on Uninstall to start removing the program.
Step 2: Scan and Delete Adware with AdwCleaner
1. Download the tool called AdwCleaner from the location stated below.
Click here to download AdwCleaner (this will open a new window)
2. Once you have completed the download, please close all running programs on the computer.
3. Locate the file and double-click on adwcleaner_Ver.exe to start running the tool. Then, click on Scan button.
4. It searches for presence of harmful programs, plug-ins, add-ons, or any data that were found malicious and linked to Search Privacy. You need to Clean all items detected by this tool.
5. Once scan is done, the tool may need to reboot your computer to finalize the cleaning process.
6. After reboot, AdwCleaner will display the log file of the recent scan.
Step 3: Remove Adware Add-on and Cleanup the Browser
After the previous scans, you may have deleted Search Privacy from the affected browser. This next step will ensure that no more module of adware will be left on the browser. This free tool scans and checks the browser for unwanted add-on and extension, and if found, Avast Browser Cleanup will give you a report and suggestion.
1. Download this free tool and save it to your desktop.
Avast Browser Cleanup Download Link (This will open in a new window)
2. Please install the program. Start the process by double-clicking on the executable file avast-browser-cleanup-sfx.exe.
3. When run, Avast Browser Cleanup performs a test on the browser. If unwanted entries were found, it will display a button ‘Remove all add-ons listed below and cleanup browser.’ You may remove all or delete one entry at a time.
4. Avast Browser Cleanup will confirm before it permanently deletes the add-on. Please click Yes to proceed with the removal of Search Privacy on the affected browser.
Step 4: Remove Search Privacy from Google Chrome
Option 1 – Delete Malicious Extension from Chrome Browser
One way to remove Search Privacy from Google Chrome is simply to delete the Extension. Please follow these steps:
1. Open Google Chrome browser.
2. Type the following in the address bar: chrome://extensions
3. On Extensions window, please delete Search Privacy by clicking on Remove or Trash icon.
4. Google Chrome will prompt for the confirmation of Search Privacy removal. Please click on Remove button to proceed.
5. You may now restart Chrome browser.
Option 2 – Restore Google Chrome to Default Settings
Resetting Google Chrome to default settings is helpful in deleting hard-to-remove extension such as from Search Privacy. This method is highly advisable to perform if you have difficulty in removing unwanted extension.
1. Open Google Chrome application.
2. In the address bar please type the this string: chrome://settings/ and then, press Enter on keyboard.
3. Scroll down to bottom, then click Advanced…
4. Scroll to the bottom of the page until you see Reset and Clean Up section.
5. Click on Restore settings to their original defaults. If it prompts for confirmation, please click Reset Settings button to proceed.
This function will reset your home page, new tab page, search engine, and other areas affected by Search Privacy. Unwanted extensions will also be removed from the browser. This will not affect your bookmarks, history, and other saved data. You may also run Chrome Cleanup function from this page. An integrated tool from Google Chrome but with more advanced Adware scanner feature.
Post Last Modified On October 3, 2017