Search Mask is deemed as potentially unwanted program that asserts to protect your privacy and block any tracking programs from recording your browsing activities. According to the official website, Search Mask does this by directing online search to a secure and encrypted network. Although, upon diagnostics, we did not noticed any security features. Only effective changes it has made is the new default search engine.
With the presence of Search Mask, you can no longer use any search engine aside from the one it provided, which is named Under Cover Search. It is compatible to Google Chrome browser. As we can observed from search result page, Search Mask was made to display advertisements in the sole purpose of generating online revenue. There are also instances that browser is redirected to various address, certainly to drive internet traffic to partner’s websites.
Search Mask may come into your computer uninvited. It is normally packed to various freeware and shareware. This bundling technique is a common thing for adware authors to spread their creation. Thus, be watchful on what you are downloading. Make sure that it is free from adware and malware before installing them onto your computer.
In the case of Search Mask, it comes on certain products of Yontoo like Buzzdock, Trendio, Lucky Tab, and many more. Installing any of the mentioned software likewise loads Search Mask and a bunch of adware without your knowledge. Only obvious sign during the presence of potentially unwanted program are adjustments on browser settings. Search Mask in particular will override settings on your search tool, as already mentioned above.
To remove Search Mask and get rid of all relevant adware, execute the procedures as outlined below. Make sure to scan the computer with recommended anti-virus and ant-malware programs.
Online Security Scanner Report for searchmask.com:
|Not yet tested||Community Rating: 0.0||Oct. 30, 2016|
|Not yet rated||Feedback: No data||Oct. 30, 2016|
|Currently Safe||Feedback: No data||Oct. 30, 2016|
Search Mask Removal Guide
This section contains comprehensive guide to help you remove threats from the affected computer.
Procedures on this page are written in a manner that can be easily understand and execute by computer users.
Step 1 : Use Add/Remove program of Windows to Uninstall Search Mask
The main cause of pop-up ads and coupons could be software that you may have installed on the computer. We need to uninstall the culprit program.
1. Click Windows Start button. Next, select Control Panel from the list. Alternatively, press Windows key + R on keyboard and run appwiz.cpl command.
2. Find the ‘Programs‘ area and click on Uninstall a program. This opens up a window showing existing software installed.
3. Look for and remove Search Mask or Yontoo entry. If not present, look for any suspicious labels that was installed recently.
4. Click on Uninstall to start removing the program.
Step 2: Scan and Delete Adware with AdwCleaner
1. Download the tool called AdwCleaner from the location stated below.
Click here to download AdwCleaner (this will open a new window)
2. Once you have completed the download, please close all running programs on the computer.
3. Locate the file and double-click on adwcleaner_Ver.exe to start running the tool. Then, click on Scan button.
4. It searches for presence of harmful programs, plug-ins, add-ons, or any data that were found malicious and linked to Search Mask. You need to Clean all items detected by this tool.
5. Once scan is done, the tool may need to reboot your computer to finalize the cleaning process.
6. After reboot, AdwCleaner will display the log file of the recent scan.
Step 3: Remove Adware Add-on and Cleanup the Browser
After the previous scans, you may have deleted Search Mask from the affected browser. This next step will ensure that no more module of adware will be left on the browser. This free tool scans and checks the browser for unwanted add-on and extension, and if found, Avast Browser Cleanup will give you a report and suggestion.
1. Download this free tool and save it to your desktop.
Avast Browser Cleanup Download Link (This will open in a new window)
2. Please install the program. Start the process by double-clicking on the executable file avast-browser-cleanup-sfx.exe.
3. When run, Avast Browser Cleanup performs a test on the browser. If unwanted entries were found, it will display a button ‘Remove all add-ons listed below and cleanup browser.’ You may remove all or delete one entry at a time.
4. Avast Browser Cleanup will confirm before it permanently deletes the add-on. Please click Yes to proceed with the removal of Search Mask on the affected browser.
Step 4: Remove Search Mask from Google Chrome
Option 1 – Delete Malicious Extension from Chrome Browser
One way to remove Search Mask from Google Chrome is simply to delete the Extension. Please follow these steps:
1. Open Google Chrome browser.
2. Type the following in the address bar: chrome://extensions
3. On Extensions window, please delete Search Mask by clicking on Remove or Trash icon.
4. Google Chrome will prompt for the confirmation of Search Mask removal. Please click on Remove button to proceed.
5. You may now restart Chrome browser.
Option 2 – Restore Google Chrome to Default Settings
Resetting Google Chrome to default settings is helpful in deleting hard-to-remove extension such as from Search Mask. This method is highly advisable to perform if you have difficulty in removing unwanted extension.
1. Open Google Chrome application.
2. In the address bar please type the this string: chrome://settings/ and then, press Enter on keyboard.
3. Scroll down to bottom, then click Advanced…
4. Scroll to the bottom of the page until you see Reset and Clean Up section.
5. Click on Restore settings to their original defaults. If it prompts for confirmation, please click Reset Settings button to proceed.
This function will reset your home page, new tab page, search engine, and other areas affected by Search Mask. Unwanted extensions will also be removed from the browser. This will not affect your bookmarks, history, and other saved data. You may also run Chrome Cleanup function from this page. An integrated tool from Google Chrome but with more advanced Adware scanner feature.
Post Last Modified On December 21, 2016