Unwanted homepage redirection to Search.hfastmapsanddirections.com is typically caused by adware infection particularly suspicious browser extension called Fast Maps and Directions. Makers of this adware are exploiting the trendy ways to spread malware – through software bundling hoax. Via this method, Fast Maps and Directions can enter victim’s computer without their notice. Once inside, the adware carry out another undesirable changes and this time, homepage and new tab is the target. The adware will set these vital browser pages to Search.hfastmapsanddirections.com. Preference on search tool will likewise suffer from the same offensive so every user’s online search inquiries are redirected to said web address.
Some web users do not realize the unsolicited modification right away due to neat design of Search.hfastmapsanddirections.com. At first glance, it may look like valid homepage and search engine but once it performs numerous redirects and displays pop-up advertisement, user will realize that they are facing the challenges from adware infection.
Aside from disturbing display of ads, presence of Search.hfastmapsanddirections.com is a clear manifestation that user’s online privacy and security is at risk. This hijacker exposes the compromised internet application to various online data thieves that collects information like personal details, geographical location, IP address, and more. Search.hfastmapsanddirections.com also monitors browsing session of users and records critical information like favorite websites, search keywords, and personal online preferences for products or items.
The mere objective of Search.hfastmapsanddirections.com for undertaking this task is to generate profit through advertisements. Data it gathers from victim’s computer is crucial in presenting more personalized ads that mean to make higher profit.
So far, we do not see the significance of having Search.hfastmapsanddirections.com on the computer even if it claims that it enhances online search experience. For us, removing this browser hijacker is crucial in restoring privacy and security on Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, and Internet Explorer.
Search.hfastmapsanddirections.com Removal Procedure
Below is a systematic instruction that is very useful in getting rid of the potentially unwanted program (PUP) from compromised computer.
In order to totally eliminate the threat, it is vital to follow the process in exact manner.
Stage 1: Delete Browser Extension
Most adware and unwanted programs are using a program called browser extension to be able to take over the settings of internet applications. Therefore, we highly recommend to check and remove the extension that is closely related to Search.hfastmapsanddirections.com.
Remove Search.hfastmapsanddirections.com Extension from Google Chrome
1. Open Google Chrome browser.
2. Type chrome://extensions/ in the address bar and press Enter on keyboard.
3. Find Search.hfastmapsanddirections.com, Fast Maps and Directions, or relevant entry and remove it from Google Chrome.
Uninstall Search.hfastmapsanddirections.com Extension from Firefox
1. Open Mozilla Firefox browser.
2. Type about:addons in the address bar and press Enter on keyboard.
3. Choose Extensions on sidebar menu.
4. Look for object that is pertaining to Search.hfastmapsanddirections.com or Maps, and remove it from the browser.
Remove Search.hfastmapsanddirections.com Add-ons from Internet Explorer
1. Open Internet Explorer program.
2. Go to top Menu and click Tools. Then, select Manage Add-ons from the drop-down list.
3. Look for and Remove or Disable entries of Search.hfastmapsanddirections.com from Toolbars and Extension and Search Providers section.
4. Close the window and restart Internet Explorer.
If Search.hfastmapsanddirections.com is still present on the IE browser, another option is to remove the adware from Windows Control Panel.
5. Press Windows Key + R and then, type appwiz.cpl command.
6. Program and Features window will open. Arrange the list in chronological manner with recently installed applications on top. To do this, click on ‘Installed On‘ column.
7. Select Search.hfastmapsanddirections.com, Fast Maps and Directions, or recently installed unwanted entry. Then, click on Uninstall to remove it from Windows system.
Stage 2: Scan and Delete Adware with AdwCleaner
In addition to the procedure, we suggest scanning the computer with AdwCleaner tool. Possibly, there are some traces of Search.hfastmapsanddirections.com on the browser that was not deleted during the preceding steps. This tool will scan the computer and check for presence of malicious applications.
1. Follow the link below to download the tool called AdwCleaner.
Click here to download AdwCleaner (this will open a new window)
2. When the download has completed, please close all running programs on the computer especially browsers affected by Search.hfastmapsanddirections.com.
3. Browse the location of the downloaded file and double-click on adwcleaner_Ver.exe to start running the tool. Then, click on Scan button.
4. AdwCleaner searches the computer for malicious programs, extensions, plug-ins, adware, and any items that may be associated to Search.hfastmapsanddirections.com.
5. Clean or Remove all suspicious and harmful items identified after the thorough scan.
6. After the cleanup procedure, rebooting the computer is required to finalize the removal of detected threats.
Stage 3: Remove Search.hfastmapsanddirections.com Add-on and Cleanup the Browser
Preceding steps may have removed Search.hfastmapsanddirections.com from the browser already. This next procedure is needed to double-check that browser is free from any adware remnants especially from Search.hfastmapsanddirections.com. Avast Browser Cleanup is a free tool that restores the browser to its initial, clean state. It will get rid of annoying browser extensions, toolbars, and search hijackers.
1. Click the link below to download this free tool.
Avast Browser Cleanup Download Link (This will open in a new window)
2. To run the installer, please double-click the executable file avast-browser-cleanup-sfx.exe.
3. Run the tool to start analyzing the browsers. It will state whether browser is free from threats or cleanup is needed. Perform suggested cleanup if the tool found suspicious extensions, add-ons, or plug-ins.
4. If Avast Browser Cleanup verifies if you want to permanently delete suspicious entries, click Yes to proceed with the removal of Search.hfastmapsanddirections.com.
Stage 4: Scan the Computer with Sophos Virus Removal Tool
Lastly, we will scan the computer with a multi-function security program. This will inspect the computer for possible presence of virus, malware, rootkit, adware as well as unwanted homepage like Search.hfastmapsanddirections.com.
1. Download Sophos Virus Removal Tool from the link below. Save the file on your computer where you can easily access it.
Sophos Virus Removal Tool Download Link (this will open a new window)
2. Once the download completes, browse the location of the file. Double-click to run the program and begin the install process. If Windows prompts for User Account Control, please click Yes to proceed.
3. On first windows of installation wizard, click Next to continue. Then, it will display the program’s License Agreement. You need to Accept the terms in order to proceed.
4. On succeeding windows, click Next or Continue to carry on with the installation. After completing the installation process, Launch Sophos Virus Removal Tool.
5. Internet connection is required when running this scanner in order to download important updates. Make sure that everything is up-to-date to effectively remove malicious program like Search.hfastmapsanddirections.com.
6. Click the button to carry out the Scan. This will check the system for presence of malicious objects, malware, and viruses. The tool reveals items that were found linked to Search.hfastmapsanddirections.com and other suspicious entities. Be sure to remove all identified threats.
Option: Alternative Method to Clean Up Internet Browser from Search.hfastmapsanddirections.com
Not all adware and PUP’s are the same. Some cannot be removed by deleting relevant extensions and codes. On this instances, resetting the browser to default configuration is the only best solution. If Search.hfastmapsanddirections.com is still bothering you after completing all the steps above, please execute the procedures below to reset the settings of affected browser program.
Use Chrome Clean Up Tool to Delete Search.hfastmapsanddirections.com
1. Open Google Chrome application.
2. Type this strings in the address box: chrome://settings/ and then, press Enter on keyboard.
3. Scroll down and expand Advanced settings area.
4. Scroll to the bottom of the page until you see Reset and Cleanup section.
5. Click on Clean Up Computer. On next page, please click FIND to proceed.
This feature of Google Chrome aims to find harmful software and remove it instantly. If unable to delete Search.hfastmapsanddirections.com, the other option is to Reset Google Chrome settings to its original defaults. Just go back to previous page (Clean Up Computer) and reset the settings. See more details on this page.
Reset Mozilla Firefox to Default
If Mozilla Firefox is affected by Search.hfastmapsanddirections.com and procedures above were not helpful, we suggest that you carry out these steps. This process can fix the issue by restoring Firefox browser to default factory state. Most browser data will be affected but not bookmarks, browsing history, passwords, and internet cookies. Extensions and other installed plug-ins maybe deleted by this function. Therefore, if you wish to remove specific extension only, please see manual add-on removal from this link.
1. Open Mozilla Firefox browser and type the following in the address bar: about:support
2. Browser will be directed to a page of Troubleshooting Information. You will notice a section on upper-right corner of the screen stating ‘Give Firefox a Tune Up‘. Click the Refresh Firefox button.
3. Confirmation window will pop-up, click Refresh Firefox to continue.
4. The reset process will automatically close the browser and proceed with the restoration. Next, it will display a list of restored data. Search.hfastmapsanddirections.com should be gone by now. Click Finish to close the current window and open a fresh window of Mozilla Firefox.
Restore Internet Explorer to Default Settings
1. Open Internet Explorer browser.
2. On top menu, click Tools, and then Internet Options. It will open a new window.
3. Select Advanced tab. See image below.
4. On Reset Internet Explorer Settings area, click the Reset button to start the restoration procedures.
This process will not affect browsing history, bookmarks, and favorites. Add-ons and other integrated codes will be deleted including those that are linked to Search.hfastmapsanddirections.com. If you choose to perform the procedure manually, please view instructions here.