Browser hijackers are potentially unwanted programs (PUP) that can carry out unusual modification on internet browser settings. It normally assigns a malicious web address on the browser. The existing default search engine, home page, and the new tab window will bear these changes and it is just part of the many issues, which Search Converter Box adware can deliver.
About Search Converter Box
Search Converter Box is a kind of browser hijacker or sometimes dubbed as virus that is presently hosted on searchconvertersbox.com. It sets the same address to be the new default setting on infected browser program. Search Converter Box will be able to display intrusive advertisements. Usually, these annoying ads overlap the contents of web pages that web users are browsing. Moreover, Search Converter Box can run pop-ups and redirects promoting dubious websites. One click on that ad page can redirect the browser to the actual web page where there is an imminent computer infection.
Search Converter Box Infection
Search Converter Box is somewhat a potentially unwanted program (PUP) that can infiltrate into computers without the user’s consent. Presence of Search Converter Box adware will make the computer’s function different from its common operations. It definitely affects the computer’s performance and accuracy. The usual speed of the internet and browsing becomes sluggish due to excessive pop-ups and redirects. Aside from that, the browser will unable to deliver accurate and reliable results. Instead, Search Converter Box will provide search results that are not relevant to user’s online queries. In addition, Search Converter Box presents web visitors to malicious web pages having unexpected contents that may lead to malware infection.
Spying the computer to locate significant details is the most serious effect of Search Converter Box. Adware developers designed Search Converter Box containing spyware to support its operations. Such private information has the possibility to reach cyber criminals and misuse it for illegal online revenue generation purposes. To make it short, the existence of Search Converter Box on the computer can lead to privacy problems.
Search Converter Box Sources
Computer users should make sure to download software from official websites. Unsafe sites tend to endorse freeware integrating unwanted programs like Search Converter Box or similar malicious browser extension as SuperMovieSearch, MyStreamSearch, and many others. Through bundling techniques, Search Converter Box can possibly enter the computer without the permission from computer users. There are installers that include PUP, or any sort of malware on the installation process. Online users might agree to install these certain kind of unwanted software by proceeding with the default setup process. Therefore, carefully checking the adware and running the installation via “Custom” method is recommended to avoid adware infection.
Search Converter Box Removal Procedure
Below is a systematic instruction that is very useful in getting rid of the potentially unwanted program (PUP) from compromised Windows computer. Aside from removing the malicious browser extension, this guide is also helpful in deleting browser hijacker and pop-ups.
In order to totally eliminate the threat, it is vital to follow the process in exact manner.
Step 1 : Delete Search Converter Box Browser Extension
Most adware and unwanted programs are using a program called browser extension to be able to take over the settings of internet applications. Therefore, we highly recommend to check and remove the extension that is closely related to Search Converter Box.
Remove Search Converter Box Extension from Google Chrome
1. Open Google Chrome browser.
2. Type chrome://extensions/ in the address bar and press Enter on keyboard.
3. Find Search Converter Box or relevant entry and remove it from Google Chrome browser.
Uninstall Search Converter Box Extension from Mozilla Firefox
1. Open Mozilla Firefox browser.
2. Type about:addons in the address bar and press Enter on keyboard.
3. Choose Extensions on sidebar menu.
4. Look for object that is pertaining to Search Converter Box and remove it from the browser.
After deleting the malicious browser extension, it is expected that Search Converter Box is also gone from the homepage.
Remove Search Converter Box Add-ons from Internet Explorer and Edge Browser
1. Open Internet Explorer program.
2. Go to top Menu and click Tools. Then, select Manage Add-ons from the drop-down list.
3. Look for and Remove or Disable entries of Search Converter Box from Toolbars and Extension. Additionally, delete unwanted entry from Search Providers section.
4. Close the window and restart Internet Explorer.
If Search Converter Box is still present on the IE browser and there are still unwanted homepage and pop-ups, another option is to remove the adware from Windows Control Panel.
5. Press Windows Key + R and then, type appwiz.cpl command.
6. Program and Features window will open. Arrange the list in chronological manner with recently installed applications on top. To do this, click on 'Installed On' column.
7. Select Search Converter Box or recently installed unwanted entry. Then, click on Uninstall to remove it from Windows system.
Step 2 : Scan the computer with Sophos Antivirus
To remove Search Converter Box automatically, scanning the computer with this powerful anti-virus tool is recommended. This scanner does not just uncover known threats like viruses or malware, it is also effective in discovering browser hijacker like Search Converter Box that slows down online browsing activities.
1. Download Sophos Virus Removal Tool from the link below. Save the file on your computer where you can easily access it.
2. Once the download completes, browse the location of the file. Double-click to run the program and begin the install process.
3. On first windows of installation wizard, click Next to continue. Then, it will display the program’s License Agreement. You need to Accept the terms in order to proceed. If Windows prompts for User Account Control, please click Yes to proceed.
4. On succeeding windows, click Next or Continue to carry on with the installation. After completing the installation process, Launch Sophos Virus Removal Tool.
5. Internet connection is required when running this scanner in order to download important updates. Make sure that everything is up-to-date to effectively remove malicious program like Search Converter Box.
6. Click the button to carry out the Scan. This will check the system for presence of malicious objects, malware, and viruses. The tool reveals items that were found linked to Search Converter Box and other suspicious entities. Be sure to remove all identified threats.
The above procedures should have totally eliminated the Search Converter Box browser hijacker. However, if you found that there are still remnants of the threat, please proceed to manual removal of associated objects as outlined below.
Step 3 : Scan and Delete Adware with AdwCleaner
In addition to the procedure, we suggest scanning the computer with AdwCleaner tool. Possibly, there are some traces of Search Converter Box on the browser that was not deleted during the preceding steps. This tool will scan the computer and check for presence of malicious applications as well as invalid browser entries that produces hijacking, redirects, and pop-ups.
1. Follow the link below to download the tool called AdwCleaner.
2. When the download has completed, please close all running programs on the computer especially browsers affected by Search Converter Box.
3. Browse the location of the downloaded file and double-click on adwcleaner_Ver.exe to start running the tool. Then, click on Scan button.
4. AdwCleaner searches the computer for malicious programs, extensions, plug-ins, adware, and any items that may be associated to Search Converter Box. It will also check for suspicious entries on browser settings that is associated with the hijacker.
5. Clean or Remove all suspicious and harmful items identified after the thorough scan.
6. After the cleanup procedure, rebooting the computer is required to finalize the removal of detected threats.
Check if your internet browser application is no longer being bothered by Search Converter Box. If the browser hijacker still persists, please continue with the steps below to reset internet programs to default settings.
Optional : Reset Internet Browser Program
Cleaning your internet browser from clutter and unwanted add-on/extension is a must when dealing with Search Converter Box. The procedure below discuss on resetting various browsers to its default state.
Restore Google Chrome to Default Settings
Resetting Google Chrome to default settings is helpful in deleting hard-to-remove extension such as from Search Converter Box. This method is highly advisable to perform if you have difficulty in removing unwanted extension.
1. Open Google Chrome Internet browser.
2. On the address bar, type chrome://settings/reset and press Enter key.
3. Under Reset and clean up section, choose Restore settings to their original defaults.
4. Click Reset settings button to clear all entries of Search Converter Box.
5. Close the existing tab and restart Google Chrome. That should have removed Search Converter Box extension and associated objects.
Reset Mozilla Firefox to Default
This section describes how to remove unwanted extension from Firefox that may be related to Search Converter Box. This process can fix many browser issues by restoring Firefox to factory settings without affecting your essential information (bookmarks, browsing history, passwords, and Internet cookies) on the browser. If you desire to remove only specific extension, please see manual removal of add-on from Firefox.
1. Input the string about:support on Firefox web address and press Enter on keyboard.
2. You will now see the Troubleshooting Information page of Mozilla Firefox.
3. You will notice a section on upper-right corner of the screen stating Give Firefox a tune up. Click the Refresh Firefox button.
4. If confirmation window appears, click Refresh Firefox to continue.
5. Firefox browser will close and start the resetting process. When done, it will display a list of restored data. Search Converter Box should be gone by now. Click Finish to open a fresh version of Firefox.
Restore Internet Explorer to Default Settings
1. Open Internet Explorer and navigate to top menu. Click Tools, and then Internet Options.
2. Select Advanced tab on Internet Options window.
3. On lower part of the window, under Reset Internet Explorer Settings area, click the Reset button. Please see image for reference. Your data like favorites, bookmark, and history will remain in the browser. However, this process may delete add-ons by Search Converter Box and other unknown objects. If you prefer to carry out the procedure manually, please add-on removal from Internet Explorer.