Search App Movies is a browser extension for Google Chrome that belongs to Searchmgr family. This extension is responsible for overriding browser settings on the computer that resulted to hijacking and redirect issues. Search App Movies advertises itself as a tool that provides online search experience especially if user is looking for movies, films, videos, or any relevant media.
Users may acquire Search App Movies involuntarily because it normally arrives on the computer as part of freeware, shareware, or dubious third-party applications. Installation is discrete and gives no notices that Search App Movies will be loaded onto the browser. Therefore, the existence of this extension surprises users and they deemed this intrusion as part of virus activity.
Generally, computer security experts do not categorized Search App Movies as computer virus due to its inferior effect on targeted system. It specifically aims to takeover settings on Chrome browser to redirect user’s searches to scrhbar.com – a questionable search engine. Forwarding of internet search to said address aims to collect valuable data from user’s online activities. Search App Movies may log information like search keywords, visited websites, and other vital data that it can use for its marketing campaign.
To reinstate browser to previous normal working and safe condition, it is vital to remove the extension and its sources. Below is our simple, yet effective guide to get rid of Search App Movies. Also included are virus and malware removal tools that efficiently scan the computer and removes any malicious objects that are related to Search App Movies.
Online Security Scanner Report for searchappmovies.com:
|Not yet tested||Feedback: No data||Updated: Nov. 01, 2018|
|Minimal risk||Feedback: No data||Updated: Nov. 01, 2018|
|Currently Safe||Feedback: No data||Updated: Nov. 01, 2018|
How to Remove Search App Movies
This section contains comprehensive guide to help you remove threats from the affected computer.
Procedures on this page are written in a manner that can be easily understand and execute by computer users.
Step 1 : Remove Search App Movies from Google Chrome
We are presenting various options to remove Search App Movies from Google Chrome browser using only internal functions and approach. Most of browser annoyances can be fixed via these processes. If Search App Movies persists after executing these steps, it is better to run anti-malware scan as suggested below.
Option 1 – Delete Malicious Extension from Chrome Browser
One way to remove Search App Movies from Google Chrome is simply to delete the Extension. Please follow these steps:
1. Open Google Chrome browser.
2. Type the following in the address bar: chrome://extensions
3. On Extensions window, please delete Search App Movies by clicking on Remove or Trash icon.
4. Google Chrome will prompt for the confirmation of Search App Movies removal. Please click on Remove button to proceed.
5. You may now restart Chrome browser.
Option 2 – Restore Google Chrome to Default Settings
Resetting Google Chrome to default settings is helpful in deleting hard-to-remove extension such as from Search App Movies. This method is highly advisable to perform if you have difficulty in removing unwanted extension.
1. Open Google Chrome application.
2. In the address bar, please type the this string: chrome://settings/ and then, press Enter on keyboard.
3. Scroll down, then click Advanced…
4. Scroll to the bottom of the page until you see Reset and Clean Up section.
5. Click on Restore settings to their original defaults button. If it prompts for confirmation, please click Reset Settings to proceed.
This function will reset your home page, new tab page, search engine, and other areas affected by Search App Movies. Unwanted extensions will also be removed from the browser. This will not affect your bookmarks, history, and other saved data.
Option 3 – Use Google Chrome Clean Up Feature
1. On Google Chrome address bar, input this string: chrome://settings/cleanup and then press Enter on keyboard.
2. Click Find button to start scanning the computer.
Step 2 : Use Add/Remove program of Windows to Uninstall Search App Movies
The main cause of homepage hijacking and browser redirect could be software that you may have installed on the computer. We need to uninstall the culprit program.
1. Click Windows Start button. Next, select Control Panel from the list. Alternatively, press Windows key + R on keyboard and run appwiz.cpl command.
2. Find the ‘Programs‘ area and click on Uninstall a program. This opens up a window showing existing software installed.
3. Look for and remove Search App Movies entry. If not present, look for any suspicious labels that was installed recently.
4. Click on Uninstall to start removing the program.
Step 3 : Scan the computer with MBAM Tool
1. Download the free anti-malware scanner called MalwareBytes Anti-Malware.
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Download Link (this will open a new window)
2. After downloading, install the program. It may run automatically or you have to double-click on the downloaded file mb3-setup-consumer-x.x.x.xxxx.exe.
3. Proceed with the installation using only the default setup. If you need the complete setup procedure, it is available on the download page.
4. At the last stage of installation process, click Finish to run the program.
5. On Malwarebytes Anti-Malware console, select Scan from the menu to see available Scan Method.
6. Next, click on Threat Scan. This is the most comprehensive scan method that will surely find any hidden items linked to Search App Movies.
7. Click Start Scan button to begin checking the computer.
8. When scanning is done, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware will display the list of identified threats. Remove all identified threats including Search App Movies and restart the computer to finalized the scan process.
Step 4 : Scan and Delete Adware with AdwCleaner
1. Download the tool called AdwCleaner from the location stated below.
Click here to download AdwCleaner (this will open a new window)
2. Once you have completed the download, please close all running programs on the computer.
3. Locate the file and double-click on adwcleaner_Ver.exe to start running the tool. Then, click on Scan button.
4. It searches for presence of harmful programs, plug-ins, add-ons, or any data that were found malicious and linked to Search App Movies. You need to Clean all items detected by this tool.
5. Once scan is done, the tool may need to reboot your computer to finalize the cleaning process.
6. After reboot, AdwCleaner will display the log file of the recent scan.