When surfing the internet, we keep on encountering various ads from different websites. It is really annoying that ads are appearing here and there. But, have you ever wondered why these ads keep displaying on the screen? Sometimes, we unintentionally clicked these ads out of nowhere. From that, we are redirected to sites or web pages that we are not really familiar about.
What is Scuseami.net?
Scuseami.net is a questionable website and is very similar to Concersplentl.info and Wowphones.site. It presents users to unwanted and malicious web pages. Scuseami.net acts as a useful website when in fact, it lure users to allow internet browser’s notification. Scuseami.net use click baits to catch attention of users. Usually, this rogue website displays “DOWNLOAD IS READY” or “CLICK TO DOWNLOAD FILE” button to encourage users to confirm. But the truth is that there is no file to download. Those buttons is just a mask to cover the true purpose of Scuseami.net web page. Once the user clicked the button, it automatically allows the browser notification. Scuseami.net will start its operation by deploying numerous intrusive ads in a form of banners, coupons, surveys, and pop-ups. It might be innocent-looking ads but these online marketing media can redirect users to more harmful web pages.
Where Scuseami.net possibly comes from?
Rogue websites like Scuseami.net usually invades user’s browser by means of Potentially Unwanted Applications (PUAs) or by clicking intrusive ads while browsing.
Why Potentially Unwanted Apps (PUAs)?
– When we are installing or downloading apps or programs, there are set-ups or bundles which hide PUAs. If we really ignore the details, descriptions, or conditions before proceeding, it can infiltrate the device without knowing. These PUA’s have associated ads, which can redirect users to Scuseami.net website.
Why Intrusive ads?
– When browsing the internet, users get to encounter different ads. Once web user clicked one, it can automatically redirects to Scuseami.net web page. Note that not all ads from this URL are legitimate and trustworthy.
What happens when Scuseami.net is accessed?
Scuseami.net will begin its true function by locating the user through its IP address. Click-bait buttons are presented to tempt users to click and enable browser notification. Once it is allowed, Scuseami.net associate ads will begin to appear anywhere on the web page. It literally limits the browsing experience of users. Scuseami.net can lead users to risk by automatically redirecting to more harmful sites like scam or phishing websites when ads are clicked. In addition, some of these associated ads can execute scripts to download or install unwanted programs, which can cause more harm to user since it can track data from users that can be use for cyber crime purposes.
Procedures to Remove Scuseami.net from Mac
This section contains comprehensive guide to help you remove malicious browser hijacker from internet application.
Procedures on this page are written in a manner that can be easily understand and execute by Mac users.
Step 1 : Quick Fix - Scan the System with Combo Cleaner
Combo Cleaner is a trusted Mac utility application with complete antivirus and optimization features. It is useful in dealing with adware, malware, and PUP's. Moreover, it can get rid of malicious browser hijacker like Scuseami.net. You may need to purchase full version if you require to maximize its premium features.
1. Download the tool from the following page:
2. Double-click the downloaded file and proceed with the installation.
3. In the opened window, drag and drop the Combo Cleaner icon onto your Applications folder icon.
4. Open your Launchpad and click on the Combo Cleaner icon.
5. Wait until antivirus downloads it's latest virus definition updates and click on "Start Combo Scan" to start removing Scuseami.net.
6. Free features of Combo Cleaner include Disk Cleaner, Big Files finder, Duplicate files finder, and Uninstaller. To use antivirus and privacy scanner, users have to upgrade to a premium version.
Proceed with the rest of the removal steps if you are comfortable in manually removing malicious objects associated with the threat.
Step 2 : Remove Browser Extensions that belongs to Scuseami.net
1. Locate the add-on or extension that is relevant to the hijacker. To do this, please follow the following depending on affected browser.
Safari - Choose Preferences from the Safari menu, then click the Extensions icon. This will open a window showing all installed extensions.
Chrome - Select Preferences from the Chrome menu, and then click the Extensions link found on the left pane.
Firefox - Choose Add-ons from the Menu. Look at both the Extensions and Plugins lists when it opens a new window.
2. Once you have located Scuseami.net or any suspicious objects, click on Remove or Uninstall, to get rid of it.
3. Close the browser and proceed to the next steps.
Step 3 : Double-check with MBAM Tool for Mac
1. Download Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac from this link:
2. Run Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac. It will check for updates and download if most recent version is available. This is necessary in finding recent malware threats including Scuseami.net.
3. If it prompts to close all running web browser, please do so. Thus, we advise you to PRINT this guide for your reference before going offline.
4. Once it opens the user interface, please click on Scan button to start scanning your Mac computer.
5. After the scan, Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac will display a list of identified threats, Scuseami.net is surely part of it. Be sure to select all items in the list. Then, click Remove button to clean the computer.
Step 4: Delete Scuseami.net Login Items
Some browser hijacker may also install login item into compromised account under System Preferences. This object automatically runs Scuseami.net during user log in.
1. Go to Apple menu and choose System Preferences.
2. Select Users & Groups from the preferences window.
3. You may need to Unlock this area in order to make changes. Click on the Lock icon on lower left corner of the window.
4. Next, select user account that runs Scuseami.net.
5. Click on Login Items tab.
6. Select Scuseami.net or any suspicious entries from the list and click on the minus [-] button and confirm your actions. Please see image below for reference.
Step 5: Block Scuseami.net Pop-up Notification from Google Chrome
The small box appearing on sidebar or taskbar bearing the web address of Scuseami.net is called Push Notifications. Most of the time, removing the browser extension that enforces it is enough to stop the pop-ups. Hence, if Scuseami.net pop-ups persistently appears, this guide is helpful in blocking it manually.
1. On the address bar, please type the following strings and press Return on keyboard:
2. Navigate to "Allow" section and locate Scuseami.net.
3. Click on More Actions button (3 dots) and select Block from the list. You may also choose Remove but blocking is more preferred to avoid encountering the same in the future.
Optional : If unable to change browser settings, execute these steps:
Some user complains that there is no way to change browser settings because it is grayed out by Scuseami.net. In such situation, it is important to check if there is unwanted profile. Please do the following:
1. Quit any running applications and launch System Preferences from your Dock.
2. Under System Preferences, click Profiles.
3. Select Scuseami.net or any relevant profile from the left pane. See image below.
4. At the bottom of this window, click minus [-] button to delete the account. Please refer to image above.
5. Close the Profiles window and open the affected browser to change all settings associated with Scuseami.net.