Screen Dream is a Google Chrome extension that overrules homepage settings upon successful installation. Although it is known as a tool that allows user to watch exciting new trailers from homepage and new tab window, computer security experts are not convinced that Screen Dream is commendable to be on the browser.
Common ways to spread Screen Dream is through misleading ways such as pop-ups, redirects, and software bundles. This unwanted extension commonly comes in a package that is surrounded with surplus programs and adware. Therefore, installing the software bundles also loads Screen Dream and other doubtful applications that come with it.
On successful installation of Screen Dream, there will be obvious changes on the homepage right away. Instead of user’s preferred search engine, it will have the infamous hp.mysearch.com. In addition, there are added toolbars and buttons like Featured Trailer, Movie Genres, Opening This Week, New, Awards, and Reviews. However, the most noticeable modification on the intrusive action of Screen Dream is the new search bar, which undertakes the collection of data from user’s search inquiries.
To sum it all, if you use Screen Dream, chances are you agreed to give away browsing data without even knowing it. Basically, these information is necessary for adware makers for bigger profits on their online advertising venture. Hence, it also means less privacy for users. That is the barter for using freeware like Screen Dream.
So, to restore safety and security while browsing the internet, it is highly suggested to get rid of Screen Dream. Complete guide is available on this page. Remember to scan the computer with malware and virus removal tools to automate the removal of malicious objects associated with Screen Dream.
Screen Dream Removal Procedures
This section contains comprehensive guide to help you remove threats from the affected computer.
Procedures on this page are written in a manner that can be easily understand and execute by computer users.
Step 1 : Remove Screen Dream from Google Chrome
We are presenting various options to remove Screen Dream from Google Chrome browser using only internal functions and approach. Most of browser annoyances can be fixed via these processes. If Screen Dream persists after executing these steps, it is better to run anti-malware scan as suggested below.
Option 1 – Delete Malicious Extension from Chrome Browser
One way to remove Screen Dream from Google Chrome is simply to delete the Extension. Please follow these steps:
1. Open Google Chrome browser.
2. Type the following in the address bar: chrome://extensions
3. On Extensions window, please delete Screen Dream by clicking on Remove or Trash icon.
4. Google Chrome will prompt for the confirmation of Screen Dream removal. Please click on Remove button to proceed.
5. You may now restart Chrome browser.
Option 2 – Restore Google Chrome to Default Settings
Resetting Google Chrome to default settings is helpful in deleting hard-to-remove extension such as from Screen Dream. This method is highly advisable to perform if you have difficulty in removing unwanted extension.
1. Open Google Chrome application.
2. In the address bar, please type the this string: chrome://settings/ and then, press Enter on keyboard.
3. Scroll down, then click Advanced…
4. Scroll to the bottom of the page until you see Reset and Clean Up section.
5. Click on Restore settings to their original defaults button. If it prompts for confirmation, please click Reset Settings to proceed.
This function will reset your home page, new tab page, search engine, and other areas affected by Screen Dream. Unwanted extensions will also be removed from the browser. This will not affect your bookmarks, history, and other saved data.
Option 3 – Use Google Chrome Clean Up Feature
1. On Google Chrome address bar, input this string: chrome://settings/cleanup and then press Enter on keyboard.
2. Click Find button to start scanning the computer.
Step 2 : Use Add/Remove program of Windows to Uninstall Screen Dream
The main cause of homepage hijacking and browser redirect could be software that you may have installed on the computer. We need to uninstall the culprit program.
1. Click Windows Start button. Next, select Control Panel from the list. Alternatively, press Windows key + R on keyboard and run appwiz.cpl command.
2. Find the ‘Programs‘ area and click on Uninstall a program. This opens up a window showing existing software installed.
3. Look for and remove Screen Dream entry. If not present, look for any suspicious labels that was installed recently.
4. Click on Uninstall to start removing the program.
Step 3 : Scan the computer with MBAM Tool
1. Download the free anti-malware scanner called MalwareBytes Anti-Malware.
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Download Link (this will open a new window)
2. After downloading, install the program. It may run automatically or you have to double-click on the downloaded file MBSetup.exe.
3. Proceed with the installation using only the default setup. If you need the complete setup procedure, it is available on the download page.
4. After the installation process, click Get Started to run the program.
5. Continue with the prompts until the main program opens.
6. On Malwarebytes Anti-malware console, click on Scan to run the most comprehensive detection method and find any hidden items linked to Screen Dream.
7. Wait for the anti-malware to finish scanning the computer.
8. When scanning is done, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware will display the list of identified threats. Remove all identified threats including Screen Dream and restart the computer to finalized the scan process.
Step 4 : Scan and Delete Adware with AdwCleaner
1. Download the tool called AdwCleaner from the location stated below.
Click here to download AdwCleaner (this will open a new window)
2. Once you have completed the download, please close all running programs on the computer.
3. Locate the file and double-click on adwcleaner_Ver.exe to start running the tool. Then, click on Scan button.
4. It searches for presence of harmful programs, plug-ins, add-ons, or any data that were found malicious and linked to Screen Dream. You need to Clean all items detected by this tool.
5. Once scan is done, the tool may need to reboot your computer to finalize the cleaning process.
6. After reboot, AdwCleaner will display the log file of the recent scan.