Satan Cryptor is another hazardous file-locking virus. People behind this ransomware are relying on various deployment schemes to get hold of random victims. Hence, Satan Cryptor code is often found embedded to email attachment that purportedly sent by prominent organization. Moreover, attackers are also enjoying the liberty of embedding Satan Cryptor to various freeware and shareware that are hosted on a number of insecure online locations.
After completing the file-encryption task, Satan Cryptor will generate a ransom note instructing victims on the proper way to recover their infected files. Obviously, the offered decryption software and private key combination that are required to restore entirely important data do not come cheap. As shown in the ransom note and excerpt below, attackers are requiring victims to contact them as soon as they notice the decryption made on majority of files.
Your documents, photos, databases and other important files have been encrypted cryptographically strong, without the cipher key recovery is impossible!
To decrypt your files you need to buy the special software – SATAN DECRYPTOR and your Private Decryption Key.
Using another tools could corrupt your files, in case of using third party software we don’t give guarantees that full recovery is possible so use it on your own risk.
If you want to restore files, write to our e-mail: MREncptor@protonmail.com
Please write your Personal Identification Code in body of your message.
Also attach to email 3 encrypted files for free decryption test. (each file have to be less than 1 MB size and not have valuable content).
It is in your interest to respond as soon as possible to ensure the restoration of your files!
Bear in mind that contacting Satan Cryptor ransomware authors and paying the ransom money do not guarantee full recovery of encrypted files. There is no assurance of certainty when dealing with online fraudsters because they usually transact in an untraceable environment. This is the main reason why malware researchers oppose the option of dealing with attackers. What was recommended is to archive all Satan Cryptor encrypted files and wait for the free decryption tool that may be available soon.
[expand title=”Technical Data of Satan Crypto Ransomware”]
|Threat Name||Satan Cryptor Ransomware|
|Threat Type||Crypto-virus, File Locker, Encryption Virus|
|Virus Alias||Avast : Win32:Trojan-gen|
BitDefender : Generic.Ransom.SatanCrypt.18F55D1A
Comodo : .UnclassifiedMalware@0
DrWeb : Trojan.Encoder.10648
ESET-NOD32 : A Variant Of Win32/Filecoder.NYZ
Fortinet : W32/Filecoder.NYZ!tr
Ikarus : Trojan-Ransom.FileCrypter
Kaspersky : HEUR:Trojan-Ransom.Win32.Generic
McAfee : GenericRXJT-SK!2898D9D9AD57
Microsoft : Trojan:Win32/Ymacco.AACE
Panda : Trj/CI.A
Sophos AV : Mal/Generic-S
Symantec : ML.Attribute.HighConfidence
VIPRE : Trojan.Win32.Generic!BT
Webroot : W32.Trojan.Gen
ZoneAlarm : HEUR:Trojan-Ransom.Win32.Generic
Backup your files
One important step before proceeding with the procedures below is to backup your files. Ransomware are not the same. Each has its unique sets of payloads aside from encrypting the files with complex method. Others tend to delete the infected files after certain period, while others keep them concealed on hidden places. In addition, ransomware decryption tools are not guaranteed to be perfect, there are instances that files suffer from damages during the decryption process.
So, create a backup copy of your entire Satan Cryptor encrypted files right now.
Satan Cryptor Ransomware Removal Guide
First thing to do is remove the Satan Cryptor virus before attempting the decryption. Remember that as long as the ransomware is active, it will repeatedly encrypt the files on the compromised computer.
Infection of Satan Cryptor ransom virus is dangerous to the system because it can inject files that runs each time Windows starts. To prevent the malicious files from loading, Windows operating system must run with minimal process and it can be done through SafeMode With Networking.
Stage 1 : Temporarily Disable System Restore on Windows OS
Because Satan Cryptor and relevant virus is capable of reinstating itself by exploiting the System Restore of Windows, we suggests that you temporary disable System Restore while executing the steps. This option is also helpful to effectively run a full scan on the computer.Do not forget to enable back System Restore after completing the removal of Satan Cryptor ransomware. This feature is vital in reinstating the operating system to previous normal working condition in case of problems or conflicts occurs.
Stage 2 : Start Windows in Safe Mode With Networking
Windows 10 Guide
1. Click on Windows logo and select Power icon when options pop-ups.
2. Select Restart from the options while pressing Shift key on the keyboard.
3. Choose an Option window will appear, select the Troubleshoot button.
4. On next window, please choose Advanced Option.
5. On Advanced Option window, click on Startup Settings and then, click Restart button to reboot the computer.
6. When Windows boot on Startup Settings, press function key F5 or number 5 on keyboard.
A simpler alternative for Windows 10 users is to scan the computer with Microsoft Defender Offline. This will run a virus scan in the recovery environment.
Windows 8 Guide
1. Click Windows Start icon at the lower left section of the screen.
2. Open Search window and type Advanced in the field. It will open General PC Settings.
3. Click on Advanced Startup and then, click on Restart Now button.
4. Once the computer starts in Advanced Startup option menu, select Troubleshoot.
5. Next, click on Advanced Options to reveal the next section.
6. Click Startup settings and then, click Restart button to boot the PC in Startup Settings.
7. Use function key F5 or number key 5 to Enable Safe Mode with Networking.
Stage 3 : Scan the Computer with Sophos Antivirus
Ransomware files are placed deeply into the system and on various locations, thus, thorough scanning is vital to totally remove Satan Cryptor virus. Aside from our suggested tool, you may also run your own security program.
To remove Satan Cryptor automatically, scanning the computer with this efficient anti-malware tool is suggested. This scanner does not just uncover known threats like viruses or malware, it is also effective in discovering hazardous ransomware like Satan Cryptor.
1. Download Sophos Virus Removal Tool from the link below. Save the file on your computer where you can easily access it.
2. Once the download completes, browse the location of the file. Double-click to run the program and begin the install process.
3. On first windows of installation wizard, click Next to continue. Then, it will display the program’s License Agreement. You need to Accept the terms in order to proceed. If Windows prompts for User Account Control, please click Yes to proceed.
4. On succeeding windows, click Next or Continue to carry on with the installation. After completing the installation process, Launch Sophos Virus Removal Tool.
5. Internet connection is required when running this virus scanner in order to download important updates. Make sure that everything is up-to-date to effectively remove Satan Cryptor ransomware and other relevant viruses.
6. Click the Start Scanning button to inspect the computer. This will check the system for presence of malicious objects, malware, and viruses. The tool reveals items that were found linked to Satan Cryptor and other suspicious entities. Be sure to remove all identified threats.
The above procedures should have totally eliminated Satan Cryptor ransomware. However, if you found that there are still remnants of the virus, please proceed to succeeding procedures below.
Stage 4 : Double-check with Microsoft's Malicious Software Removal Tool
1. Download the free scanner called Malicious Software Removal Tool.
2. The tool automatically checks the operating system and suggest appropriate download version. Click on Download button to begin. Save the file to a convenient location, preferably on Desktop.
3. After downloading the file, Windows will prompt that download has completed. Click Run to start scanning for Satan Cryptor ransomware. Another option is to browse the location folder and double click on the file to run.
4. The tool will display Welcome screen, click Next. Please note the message "This tool is not a replacement for an antivirus product." You must understand that this program is made specifically to find and remove malware, viruses, Trojans, and other harmful elements on the computer. It was not designed to protect the computer.
5. Next, you will see Scan Type. Please choose Full Scan to ensure that all Satan Cryptor ransom virus entities and other harmful files left on the computer will be found and removed. For advanced computer user, you can opt for Customized Scan, if there are other drives or folders you wanted to include in this scan.
6. Full scan may take a while, please wait for Malicious Software Removal Tool to complete the tasks. However, you may cancel the scan anytime by clicking on the Cancel button.
7. After scanning, the tool will reveal all identified threats. There may be other threats that our first scan fails to detect. Please remove/delete all detected items.
8. When removal procedure is complete, you may now close Malicious Software Removal Tool. We hope that Satan Cryptor ransomware have been completely deleted from the computer. Please restart Windows to proceed with the normal operation.
Recover Files from Satan Cryptor Ransomware Infection
On this section, we will provide ways to decrypt files infected with Satan Cryptor ransomware. Aside from dedicated decryption software and common tools, other options for file recovery are provided. As much as we can, we will update this area whenever there is new and more suitable decryption tool was made available.
Decrypting Satan Cryptor infected files with Emsisoft Tools
This service from Emsisoft is helpful in unlocking encrypted files without paying the ransom. It gives three ways to detect the ransomware and provide suitable recovery method:
Upload ransom note – This is usually the .txt or .hta files that was generated by Satan Cryptor ransomware.
Upload the encrypted file – The actual encrypted file. Choose the one that is less than 8MB in size.
Contact information – Enter the email address or any links provided as it appears in the ransom note of Satan Cryptor virus.
After submitting any of the appropriate data, Emsisoft will attempt to identify the ransomware and provide keys if there are available.
Option 1: Windows Previous Version Tool
Windows Vista and Windows 7 have a feature called Previous Versions. However, this tool is only usable if restore point was made prior to ransomware infection. To use this tool as "recovery option" for files encypted by Satan Cryptor virus, please follow these steps:
1. Open My Computer or Windows Explorer.
2. Right-click on the affected files or folders. From the drop-down list, please click on Restore previous versions.
3. New window will open display all backup copy of files and folders you wanted to recover. Choose the appropriate file and click on Open, Copy, or Restore. Restoring selected files overwrites the current locked files on the computer. The tool is not actually recovering files encrypted by Satan Cryptor. Instead, it restores files from backup copy.
Option 2: Use ShadowExplorer to restore files encrypted by Satan Cryptor Ransomware
Just like Previous Version tool, ShadowExplorer is taking advantage of shadow copy created by Windows. This tool allows you to retrieve older version of files before it was encrypted by Satan Cryptor ransomware.
1. Download ShadowExplorer from the official web site.
2. Install the program with the default settings.
3. The program should run automatically after installation. If not, double-click on ShadowExplorer icon.
4. You can see the drop-down list on top of the console. Please select proper drive and the most recent point-in-time shadow copies of files you wish to restore prior to Satan Cryptor ransomware infection.
5. Right-click on the Drive, Folder, or File you wish to restore and click Export...
6. Lastly, ShadowExplorer will prompt for location where you want to save the copy of recovered files.
How to protect the computer from Satan Cryptor ransomware?
After the removal of the ransomware, it is important to prevent similar incident from happening again. In order to protect the computer effectively, computer user must know how Satan Cryptor ransomware was able to infect the computer. To minimize the possible infection, staying away from the common sources of this virus is crucial.
How Satan Cryptor ransomware can infect your computer?
The method of infecting the computers was found to be similar as other common viruses. Though, ransomware like Satan Cryptor is seen to have efficient deployment via spam email messages, web injectors, malicious software installers, misleading online advertisements, and through another virus infection.
Once the virus is executed, it immediately infects the system. Then, Satan Cryptor ransomware communicates to remote server so that unique key can be generated for the specific computer. After acquiring the key, it starts to decrypt target files using a complex method that is almost unbreakable. On the last stage of the attack, Satan Cryptor ransomware demands for ransom money as payment for the decryption tool. To further understand the attack scheme, we have included an infographic below.
Securing the computer against ransomware attack
Do a Regular File Back-up - Always backup your data on a separate storage devices such as external hard drives, optical discs, or online backup services.
Keep Your Software Updated - Make sure that you have the latest software updates especially on the operating system. Recent updates often contain vital security patches to help protect the computer against all forms of threats.
Install a Security Program - Protect the computer with effective anti-virus application using efficient real-time scanning. Regularly run a complete scan to check the computer for presence of malware.
Protect your files with Controlled Folder Access (Windows 10)
For Windows 10 users, aside from protecting the computer using anti-virus or anti-malware programs, one way to protect against ransomware attack is by using Controlled Folder Access. This feature of Windows Defender Security Center may not prevent the Satan Cryptor ransomware infection, but it can protect the folder and files in general. Follow the steps to enable Controlled Folder Access in Windows 10.
1. Go to Windows 10 Taskbar and search for Windows Defender Security Center.
2. Open Windows Defender Security Center and click on Virus & Threat Protection icon.
3. On next window, please click on Ransomware Protection.
4. Under Controlled Folder Access section, switch the slider to On. That will enable the feature and protect the folder against Satan Cryptor or any type of ransomware.
5. Click on Protected Folderslink to include additional folders. Make sure that folders where important files are located should be included in the list.
Certain programs maybe blocked by Controlled Folder Access feature. To fix the issue, simply have the specific program to be white listed.
1. Under Protected Folders, click Allow an app through controlled folder access.
2. Next, click the Add an allowed app and include the target executable file.
This Controlled Folder Access feature is one way to protect files against Satan Cryptor. Other important things to do in keeping files safe against ransomware is through early prevention like keeping programs updated, install an efficient security program, an do regular file backup on a separate media drive.