Safe Finder is a faulty application claiming as perfect web protection tool. At a glimpse, this may seem like a valid and useful program. However, Safe Finder is actually in the list of potentially unwanted program (PUP). Obviously, you must avoid this program at all cost.
Safe Finder enters the computer without getting permission from user. Once inside, this adware shows disturbing pop-up ads and redirects. The adware will assign an unknown search engine and home page in the character of Search.safefinder.com.It is promoted as a helpful tool, but Safe Finder has this main objective of gaining online profit through advertisements. We see nothing wrong with online ads. However, in the case of Safe Finder, it is using an uncommon advertising network. The same network is known to be the sources of adware and malware infection.
Another crisis we see from Safe Finder is its constant monitoring of users browsing habit. It tracks every visited websites, search inquiry, and relevant online interest of user. Let us remind you that logging your personally identifiable details can be too risky and this is what Safe Finder does. It steals sensitive and personal details from your online transactions.
Recent study reveals that almost every PUP in the wild right now has same traits. They are promoted as free functional tools with advanced features. Safe Finder allegedly simplifies your web browsing by giving you optimal way to Share, Search, Work, and Play. However, these functions are presented simply to trick you into using the product. None of this adware can be fully beneficial to end-user. So far, it is evident that adware makers are earning huge sum of money through their own advertising scheme.
To free your computer from adware and for the safety of your online activity, we highly suggest the removal of Safe Finder. Below is straightforward procedure to help you get rid of the potentially unwanted application.
Online Security Scanner Report for safefinder.com:
|No issues||Community Rating: 1.8/5.0||Updated: Aug. 15, 2018|
|Minimal risk||Feedback: No Data||Updated: Aug. 15, 2018|
|Currently Safe||Feedback: No Data||Updated: Aug. 15, 2018|
How to Remove Safe Finder
This section contains comprehensive guide to help you remove threats from the affected computer.
Procedures on this page are written in a manner that can be easily understand and execute by computer users.
Step 1 : Use Add/Remove program of Windows to Uninstall Safe Finder
The main cause of pop-up ads and coupons could be software that you may have installed on the computer. We need to uninstall the culprit program.
1. Click Windows Start button. Next, select Control Panel from the list.
2. Find the ‘Programs‘ area and click on Uninstall a program. This opens up a window showing existing software installed.
3. Look for and remove Safe Finder or Linkury entry. If not present, look for any suspicious labels that was installed recently.
4. Click on Uninstall to start removing the program.
Step 2: Scan and Delete Adware with AdwCleaner
1. Download the tool called AdwCleaner from the location stated below.
Click here to download AdwCleaner (this will open a new window)
2. Once you have completed the download, please close all running programs on the computer.
3. Locate the file and double-click on adwcleaner_Ver.exe to start running the tool. Then, click on Scan button.
4. It searches for presence of harmful programs, plug-ins, add-ons, or any data that were found malicious and linked to Safe Finder. You need to Clean all items detected by this tool.
5. Once scan is done, the tool may need to reboot your computer to finalize the cleaning process.
6. After reboot, AdwCleaner will display the log file of the recent scan.
Step 3: Remove Adware Add-on and Cleanup the Browser
After the previous scans, you may have deleted Safe Finder from the affected browser. This next step will ensure that no more module of adware will be left on the browser. This free tool scans and checks the browser for unwanted add-on and extension, and if found, Avast Browser Cleanup will give you a report and suggestion.
1. Download this free tool and save it to your desktop.
Avast Browser Cleanup Download Link (This will open in a new window)
2. Please install the program. Start the process by double-clicking on the executable file avast-browser-cleanup-sfx.exe.
3. When run, Avast Browser Cleanup performs a test on the browser. If unwanted entries were found, it will display a button ‘Remove all add-ons listed below and cleanup browser.’ You may remove all or delete one entry at a time.
4. Avast Browser Cleanup will confirm before it permanently deletes the add-on. Please click Yes to proceed with the removal of Safe Finder on the affected browser.
Step 4: Reset Internet Browser to completely remove Safe Finder
Cleaning your internet browser from clutter and unwanted add-on/extension is a must when dealing with Safe Finder. The procedure below discuss on resetting various browsers to its default state.
Restore Google Chrome to Default Settings
Resetting Google Chrome to default settings is helpful in deleting hard-to-remove extension such as from Safe Finder. This method is highly advisable to perform if you have difficulty in removing unwanted extension.
1. Open Google Chrome Internet browser.
2. Click on the Menu (three-bar icon) located on the upper right side corner of the browser.
3. From the pull-down menu, click on Settings.
4. Once your are on chrome://settings/ tab, click on ‘Advanced‘ at the bottom of the window.
5. Navigate to the bottom of the page and click on Reset settings to their original defaults button.
6. Close the existing tab and restart Google Chrome. That should have removed Safe Finder extension.
Reset Mozilla Firefox to Default
This section describes how to remove unwanted extension from Firefox that may be related to Safe Finder.. This process can fix many browser issues by restoring Firefox to factory settings without affecting your essential information (bookmarks, browsing history, passwords, and Internet cookies) on the browser. If you desire to remove only specific extension, please see manual removal of add-on from Firefox.
1. Navigate to Firefox menu at the top of the browser and access the Help area. Click on Troubleshooting Information.
2. A new tab will appear. You will notice a section on upper-right corner of the screen stating Reset Firefox to its default state. Click the Refresh Firefox button.
3. If confirmation window appears, click Refresh Firefox to continue.
4. Firefox browser will close and start the resetting process. When done, it will display a list of restored data. Safe Finder should be gone by now. Click Finish to open a fresh version of Firefox.
Restore Internet Explorer to Default Settings
1. Open Internet Explorer and navigate to top menu. Click Tools, and then Internet Options.
2. Select Advanced tab on Internet Options window.
3. On lower part of the window, under Reset Internet Explorer Settings area, click the Reset button. Please see image for reference.
Your data like favorites, bookmark, and history will remain in the browser. However, this process may delete add-ons by Safe Finder and other unknown objects. If you prefer to carry out the procedure manually, please add-on removal from Internet Explorer.
Procedures to Remove Safe Finder Adware from Mac
It is highly suggested that you carry out all the steps in exact manner to effectively get rid of malware.
Procedures on this page are written in a manner that can be easily understand and execute by Mac users.
Step 1: Remove Browser Extensions that belongs to Safe Finder
Adware and malware normally adds extension to the browser that may result to various unwanted redirects and pop-ups. We need to find and delete this add-on.
1. Locate the add-on or extension that is relevant to the adware. To do this, please follow the following depending on affected browser.
Safari – Choose Preferences from the Safari menu, then click the Extensions icon. This will open a window showing all installed extensions.
Chrome – Select Preferences from the Chrome menu, and then click the Extensions link found on the left pane.
Firefox – Choose Add-ons from the Tools menu. Look at both the Extensions and Plugins lists when it opens a new window.
2. Once you have located Safe Finder, click on Remove or Uninstall, to get rid of it.
3. Close the browser and proceed to the next steps.
Step 2: Delete Malicious Files that have installed Safe Finder
1. Select and copy the string below to your Clipboard by pressing Command + C on your keyboard.
2. Go to your Finder. From the menu bar please select Go > Go to Folder…
3. Press Command + V on your keyboard to paste the copied string. Press Return to go to the said folder.
4. You will now see a folder named LaunchAgents. Take note of the following files inside the folder:
The term unknown is just a representation of the actual malware name. It is normally an unfamiliar file name such as the following:
– SafeFinder, Genieo, Inkeeper, InstallMac, CleanYourMac, MacKeeper, SoftwareUpdater
If you cannot find the specified file, please look for any unfamiliar or suspicious entries. It may be the one causing the Safe Finder to be present on your Mac. Arranging all items to see the most latest ones may also help you identify recently installed unfamiliar files. Please press Option + Command + 4 on your keyboard to arrange the application list in chronological order.
Important: Take note of all the suspicious files as you may also delete the same item on another folder as we go on.
5. Drag all suspicious files that you may find to Trash.
6. Please restart the computer.
7. Open another folder using the same method as above. Copy and Paste the following string to easily locate the folder.
8. Look for any suspicious items that are similar to the ones in Step 4. Drag them to the Trash.
Optional: For locked files that cannot be removed, do the following:
1. Go to Launchpad, Utilities folder, open Activity Monitor.
2. Select the process you want to quit.
3. Click on Force Quit button.
4. You may now delete or remove locked files that belongs to Safe Finder.
Step 3: Scan the System with Adware Removal Tool for Mac
1. Download Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac from this link:
Click here to download MBAM for Mac (this will open a new window)
2. Run Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac. It will check for updates and download if most recent version is available. This is necessary in finding recent malware threats including Safe Finder.
3. If it prompts to close all running web browser, please do so. Thus, we advise you to PRINT this guide for your reference before going offline.
4. Once it opens the user interface, please click on Scan button to start scanning your Mac computer.
5. After the scan, Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac will display a list of identified threats, Safe Finder is surely part of it. Be sure to select all items in the list. Then, click Remove button to clean the computer.
Step 4 : Reset the default Home Page and Search Engine
– Open your Safari browser.
– Go to Safari Menu located on upper left hand corner, and then select Preferences.
– Under General tab, navigate to Default Search Engine section and select Google or any valid search engine.
– Next, be sure that “New Windows Open With” field is set to Homepage.
– Lastly, remove Safe Finder from the Homepage field. Replace it with your preferred URL to be set as your default homepage.
– Open Chrome browser.
– Type the following on the address bar and press Enter on keyboard : chrome://settings/
– Look for ‘On Startup’ area.
– Select ‘Open a specific page or set of pages’.
– Click on Set pages.
– Enter the desired web address as your home page, replacing Safe Finder.
– To set default search engine, go to Search area.
– Click on ‘Manage search engines…‘ button.
– Highlight the desired Search Engine and Click on ‘Make Default‘.
– On the same window, highlight Safe Finder and Click “X” to delete it.
– Run Mozilla Firefox browser.
– Type the following on the address bar and hit Enter on keyboard : about:preferences
– On Startup area, select ‘Show my home page when Firefox starts’.
– Under Home Page field, type the desired URL.
– To configure default search engine, select Search on left sidebar to display settings.
– Under Default Search Engine list, please select one.
– On the same page, you have an option to Remove unwanted search engine.