Google Chrome browser extension titled RunSpeedCheck is considered one of the many potentially unwanted program (PUP) that belongs to family of adware. This extension asserts as free tool to quickly check internet speed right at the homepage and new tab window. In addition, RunSpeedCheck also promises to enhance user’s online search experience. It normally enters the system while taking advantage of freeware and third-party applications currently offered on various websites. Once user executes the freeware where it is bundled, RunSpeedCheck immediately modifies certain settings on Google Chrome. Most affected is the homepage, which will present a new homepage and supersedes the preferred settings of user.
Moreover, RunSpeedCheck overrides default search engine. When searching the web, this adware redirects all inquiries to alternative websites wherein customized search outcome includes paid links and other promotional materials. Adware makers intend to confuse web users so that they may not distinguish result links from paid links. As such, user may unintentionally click on links that can generate profit via pay-per-click scheme.
As you can see, existence of RunSpeedCheck is merely to gain revenue online. Although it is promoted as a tool that helps user to discover internet connection speed, the main intention is to present advertisements. This deceiving moneymaking scheme by RunSpeedCheck keeps on annoying so many users who have the extension on their browser. Therefore, these victims are in need of quick and effective solution to get rid of the adware. For this reason, we are publishing the most efficient way to remove RunSpeedCheck from the browser as well computer systems. Our procedures will not only take out the Adware. Much more, we aspire to remove suspicious freeware that established RunSpeedCheck. Please follow the guide in exact order to ensure complete removal of all malicious programs from the computer.
Online Security Scanner Report for runspeedcheck.com:
|Not yet tested||Feedback: No data||Updated: Oct. 14, 2018|
|Unverified||Feedback: No data||Updated: Oct. 14, 2018|
|Currently Safe||Feedback: No data||Updated: Oct. 14, 2018|
How to Remove RunSpeedCheck
This section contains comprehensive guide to help you remove threats from the affected computer.
Procedures on this page are written in a manner that can be easily understand and execute by computer users.
Step 1 : Remove RunSpeedCheck from Google Chrome
We are presenting various options to remove RunSpeedCheck from Google Chrome browser using only internal functions and approach. Most of browser annoyances can be fixed via these processes. If RunSpeedCheck persists after executing these steps, it is better to run anti-malware scan as suggested below.
Option 1 – Delete Malicious Extension from Chrome Browser
One way to remove RunSpeedCheck from Google Chrome is simply to delete the Extension. Please follow these steps:
1. Open Google Chrome browser.
2. Type the following in the address bar: chrome://extensions
3. On Extensions window, please delete RunSpeedCheck by clicking on Remove or Trash icon.
4. Google Chrome will prompt for the confirmation of RunSpeedCheck removal. Please click on Remove button to proceed.
5. You may now restart Chrome browser.
Option 2 – Restore Google Chrome to Default Settings
Resetting Google Chrome to default settings is helpful in deleting hard-to-remove extension such as from RunSpeedCheck. This method is highly advisable to perform if you have difficulty in removing unwanted extension.
1. Open Google Chrome application.
2. In the address bar, please type the this string: chrome://settings/ and then, press Enter on keyboard.
3. Scroll down, then click Advanced…
4. Scroll to the bottom of the page until you see Reset and Clean Up section.
5. Click on Restore settings to their original defaults button. If it prompts for confirmation, please click Reset Settings to proceed.
This function will reset your home page, new tab page, search engine, and other areas affected by RunSpeedCheck. Unwanted extensions will also be removed from the browser. This will not affect your bookmarks, history, and other saved data.
Option 3 – Use Google Chrome Clean Up Feature
1. On Google Chrome address bar, input this string: chrome://settings/cleanup and then press Enter on keyboard.
2. Click Find button to start scanning the computer.
Step 2 : Use Add/Remove program of Windows to Uninstall RunSpeedCheck
The main cause of homepage hijacking and browser redirect could be software that you may have installed on the computer. We need to uninstall the culprit program.
1. Click Windows Start button. Next, select Control Panel from the list. Alternatively, press Windows key + R on keyboard and run appwiz.cpl command.
2. Find the ‘Programs‘ area and click on Uninstall a program. This opens up a window showing existing software installed.
3. Look for and remove RunSpeedCheck entry. If not present, look for any suspicious labels that was installed recently.
4. Click on Uninstall to start removing the program.
Step 3 : Scan the computer with MBAM Tool
1. Download the free anti-malware scanner called MalwareBytes Anti-Malware.
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Download Link (this will open a new window)
2. After downloading, install the program. It may run automatically or you have to double-click on the downloaded file MBSetup.exe.
3. Proceed with the installation using only the default setup. If you need the complete setup procedure, it is available on the download page.
4. After the installation process, click Get Started to run the program.
5. Continue with the prompts until the main program opens.
6. On Malwarebytes Anti-malware console, click on Scan to run the most comprehensive detection method and find any hidden items linked to RunSpeedCheck.
7. Wait for the anti-malware to finish scanning the computer.
8. When scanning is done, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware will display the list of identified threats. Remove all identified threats including RunSpeedCheck and restart the computer to finalized the scan process.
Step 4 : Scan and Delete Adware with AdwCleaner
1. Download the tool called AdwCleaner from the location stated below.
Click here to download AdwCleaner (this will open a new window)
2. Once you have completed the download, please close all running programs on the computer.
3. Locate the file and double-click on adwcleaner_Ver.exe to start running the tool. Then, click on Scan button.
4. It searches for presence of harmful programs, plug-ins, add-ons, or any data that were found malicious and linked to RunSpeedCheck. You need to Clean all items detected by this tool.
5. Once scan is done, the tool may need to reboot your computer to finalize the cleaning process.
6. After reboot, AdwCleaner will display the log file of the recent scan.