Rooe is a ransomware where it attacks and scans though computers locating valuable files or documents of targeted users. Tracked data will be encrypted by Rooe ransomware using their strong algorithm and locks it to be inaccessible. The only way to recover files is settling the ransom fee or purchasing a decryption tool which is only provided by Rooe developers.
Just like any other ransomware, Rooe execute their operations in order to ask or demand a ransom fee. It infect the files that is most likely important and valuable for computer users in able to force them into purchasing a decryption tool for recovering corrupted data.
It has been easy to distinguish if the files or documents are infected by Rooe ransomware. Ransomware developers often change the current name of the data into adding their specific extension. Like for Rooe ransomware, .rooe file extension is added to every infected item. Moreover, victims of this hazardous virus will no longer access the infected files unless a decryption tool is obtained.
Then, Rooe developers will drop a note to victims within the text file named “_readme.txt”. It contains the ransom message including instructions and demands of hackers to bring back the files. In most cases of DJVU ransomware family attack (where Rooe belongs), cyber crooks are offering a 50% discount. It means that from the top costs of $980, ransom payment can be lower to $490. However, it will depend on how soon their victims will contact them. The discount will only be applicable if they reach Rooe operators within 72 hours.
Rooe developers will instruct its victims to send an email to their provided address that is specifically stated in the ransom note. People behind this virus allow victims to attach one infected file to be decrypt by them free of charge. Moreover, the decryption tool will be sent to their victims once the payment is settled. Bear in mind that data-locker criminals often use crypto-currencies on their transactions. So, victims are required to transact on specific payment processors only.
This is how Rooe ransomware operates just to generate income from their prospected targets. Rooe developers spread the virus through computers by sending spam email campaigns having attachments that might get the attention of target victims. Rooe ransomware typically use topics or matters about money, banking, or promotions, which ought the users to click and open the attachments. Nevertheless, the truth is, the file attached to the mail is malware-infected.
How to Remove Rooe Ransomware
Ransomware files are placed deeply into the system and on various locations, thus, thorough scanning is vital to totally remove Rooe virus. Aside from our suggested tool, you may also run your own security program.
Though affected files may be impossible to decrypt due to complexity of the encryption, you can still try recovery method like alternative tool, Shadow Explorer or Previous Version as described below.
Stage 1: Scan the Computer with Anti-Malware Tool
1. Download free anti-malware scanner called MalwareBytes Anti-Malware.
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Download Link (this will open a new window)
2. After downloading, install the program. It may run automatically or you have to double-click on the downloaded file MBSetup.exe.
3. Carry out the installation with default setup process.
4. After the installation process, click the Get Started button to launch the program.
5. Continue with the prompts until the main program opens.
6. On the main console, click on Scan to run most complete detection method to find hidden objects associated to Rooe ransomware.
7. Scanning may take a while. Please wait until the anti-malware tool is done with the checking.
8. Once the scan has completed, the tool will display the list of detected threats. Remove all identified malicious items and restart the computer if necessary.
Stage 2: Double-check for Rooe’s leftover with Microsoft’s Malicious Software Removal Tool
1. Download the free scanner called Malicious Software Removal Tool.
Malicious Software Removal Tool Download Link (this will open a new window)
2. The tool automatically checks the operating system and suggest appropriate download version. Click on Download button to begin. Save the file to a convenient location, preferably on Desktop.
3. After downloading the file, Windows will prompt that download has completed. Click Run to start scanning for Rooe ransomware. Another option is to browse the location folder and double click on the file to run.
4. The tool will display Welcome screen, click Next. Please note the message “This tool is not a replacement for an antivirus product.” You must understand that this program is made specifically to find and remove malware, viruses, Trojans, and other harmful elements on the computer. It was not designed to protect the computer.
5. Next, you will see Scan Type. Please choose Full Scan to ensure that all Rooe ransom virus entities and other harmful files left on the computer will be found and removed. For advanced computer user, you can opt for Customized Scan, if there are other drives or folders you wanted to include in this scan.
6. Full scan may take a while, please wait for Malicious Software Removal Tool to complete the tasks. However, you may cancel the scan anytime by clicking on the Cancel button.
7. After scanning, the tool will reveal all identified threats. There may be other threats that our first scan fails to detect. Please remove/delete all detected items.
8. When removal procedure is complete, you may now close Malicious Software Removal Tool. We hope that Rooe ransomware have been completely deleted from the computer. Please restart Windows to proceed with the normal operation.
Stage 3 : Unlocking files with Rooe Decryption Tool
Tools that may decrypt files infected by Rooe is not yet available at this time. We will update this section once the tool is on hand. In the meantime, please try the options below.
Option 1: Windows Previous Version Tool
Windows Vista and Windows 7 have a feature called Previous Versions. However, this tool is only usable if restore point was made prior to Rooe ransomware infection. To use this tool and recover files affected by the virus, please follow these steps:
1. Open My Computer or Windows Explorer.
2. Right-click on the affected files or folders. From the drop-down list, please click on Restore previous versions.
3. New window will open display all backup copy of files and folders you wanted to recover. Choose the appropriate file and click on Open, Copy, or Restore. Restoring selected files overwrites the current encrypted files on the computer.
Option 2: Use ShadowExplorer to restore files encrypted by Rooe Ransomware
Just like Previous Version tool, ShadowExplorer is taking advantage of shadow copy created by Windows. This tool allows you to retrieve older version of files before it was encrypted by Rooe ransomware.
1. Download ShadowExplorer from the official web site.
2. Install the program with the default settings.
3. The program should run automatically after installation. If not, double-click on ShadowExplorer icon.
4. You can see the drop-down list on top of the console. Please select proper drive and the most recent point-in-time shadow copies of files you wish to restore prior to Rooe ransomware infection.
5. Right-click on the Drive, Folder, or File you wish to restore and click Export…
6. Lastly, ShadowExplorer will prompt for location where you want to save the copy of recovered files.