RIP Imao is the tag of the new ransomware that is a huge threat to computer files and system as well. If your files are manifesting the .jcrypt extension, it denotes that computer is infected with the said ransom virus. The goal of RIP Imao is to block users from accessing their files by applying a high level type of encryption and then, it will demand for ransom money as payment for the decryption software that is being offered by the attackers.
Jcrypt File Decryption
As of this moment, there is no alternative solution to decrypt the entire .jcrypt encrypted files. Third party file recovery applications are not considered helpful because these programs were made to recover deleted files. Remember that .jcrypt files were encrypted and only a decryption software from hackers is the sole remedy to this kind of attack.
Attacker’s specifically wrote a ransom note telling victims about the current file situation and also gives instructions to send 1 Bitcoin on the provided BTC wallet as payment. After paying, victims should contact the hackers in order to unlock the encrypted files using the provided key.
Although paying the ransom money is the only hope left to recover the .jcrypt files, malware researchers are not recommending this option. There are many cases that the offenders flee away after receiving the payment and thus, the promised decryption software or key was not provided.
RIP Imao Sources and Prevention
This ransomware spreads over the web using different channels such as spam emails, software piracy, serial key generator, web injector, bogus freeware, fake software update, and brute force by exploiting software vulnerabilities. As such, it is important that web user must know the basics of preventing the RIP Imao infection by practicing the following:
- Do not open suspicious email especially those with attachment and link.
- Avoid cracked applications as it often contains malware in the setup file.
- Stay away from unknown and suspicious sites because it may have a script to automatically download RIP Imao.
- Freeware or shareware being offered on questionable file servers may also contain the RIP Imao virus.
- Regularly update the operating system and software to patch the present vulnerabilities.
Above all, it is crucial to protect the computer with an effective anti-virus or anti-malware application that guards the internet transmission and blocks the downloads of malicious files. Lastly, make file back up as part of the routine so that you can restore files anytime if ever there is a ransomware attack.
[expand title=”Technical Data of RIP Imao Ransomware”]
|Threat Name||RIP Imao Ransomware, Jcrypt|
|Threat Type||Crypto-virus, File Locker, Encryption Virus|
|Ransomware Note File||_RECOVER_FILES_.jcrypt.txt|
|Attacker’s firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com|
|Virus Alias||Ad-Aware : Gen:Heur.MSIL.Krypt.2|
Avast : Win32:MalwareX-gen
BitDefender : Gen:Heur.MSIL.Krypt.2
CAT-QuickHeal : TrojanRansom.MSIL
Emsisoft : Malware.Generic.CN1 (A)
eScan : Gen:Heur.MSIL.Krypt.2
ESET-NOD32 : MSIL/Filecoder.AEN
Fortinet : MSIL/Filecoder.AEL!tr
Ikarus : Trojan-Ransom.FileCrypter
Kaspersky : HEUR:Trojan-Ransom.MSIL.Crypren.gen
Malwarebytes : Ransom.FileCryptor
McAfee : GenericRXND-BO!FDCC8C3966BB
Microsoft : Trojan:Win32/Ymacco.AA93
Panda : Trj/GdSda.A
Sophos : Mal/Generic-S
Symantec : ML.Attribute.HighConfidence
TrendMicro : Ransom_Crypren.R002C0WLJ20
VBA32 : TScope.Trojan.MSIL
Backup your files
One important step before proceeding with the procedures below is to backup your files. Ransomware are not the same. Each has its unique sets of payloads aside from encrypting the files with complex method. Others tend to delete the infected files after certain period, while others keep them concealed on hidden places. In addition, ransomware decryption tools are not guaranteed to be perfect, there are instances that files suffer from damages during the decryption process.
So, create a backup copy of your entire RIP Imao encrypted files right now.
RIP Imao Ransomware Removal Guide
First thing to do is remove the RIP Imao virus before attempting the decryption. Remember that as long as the ransomware is active, it will repeatedly encrypt the files on the compromised computer.
Infection of RIP Imao ransom virus is dangerous to the system because it can inject files that runs each time Windows starts. To prevent the malicious files from loading, Windows operating system must run with minimal process and it can be done through SafeMode With Networking.
Quick Fix - Scan the PC with Combo Cleaner for Windows
Combo Cleaner is a trusted PC security and optimization tool equipped with powerful virus and malware detection engine. This program can get rid of ransomware like RIP Imao through this procedure.
1. Download the application from the following page:
2. Save the file to your preferred location.
3. Double-click the downloaded file CCSetup.exe and install with the default settings.
4. At the end of the setup process, click Finish to run Combo Cleaner.
5. The tool will update the signature file, please wait for this process to complete.
6. To begin checking for threats like RIP Imao, click on the Start Scan button. Wait for this scan to finish.
7. At the end of the scan process, click on Remove all threats to delete RIP Imao ransomware including all malicious objects from the computer.
Free features of Combo Cleaner for Windows include Disk Cleaner, Big Files finder, Duplicate files finder, and Uninstaller. To use antivirus, privacy scanner, and to delete identified threats, users have to upgrade to a premium version.
Please continue with the succeeding removal procedures if your are comfortable to manually get rid of the threat and malicious items linked with it.
Stage 1 : Temporarily Disable System Restore on Windows OS
Because RIP Imao and relevant virus is capable of reinstating itself by exploiting the System Restore of Windows, we suggests that you temporary disable System Restore while executing the steps. This option is also helpful to effectively run a full scan on the computer.Do not forget to enable back System Restore after completing the removal of RIP Imao ransomware. This feature is vital in reinstating the operating system to previous normal working condition in case of problems or conflicts occurs.
Stage 2 : Start Windows in Safe Mode With Networking
Windows 10/11 Guide
1. Click on Windows logo and select Power icon when options pop-ups.
2. Select Restart from the options while pressing Shift key on the keyboard.
3. Choose an Option window will appear, select the Troubleshoot button.
4. On next window, please choose Advanced Option.
5. On Advanced Option window, click on Startup Settings and then, click Restart button to reboot the computer.
6. When Windows boot on Startup Settings, press function key F5 or number 5 on keyboard.
A simpler alternative for Windows 10 users is to scan the computer with Microsoft Defender Offline. This will run a virus scan in the recovery environment.
Windows 8 Guide
1. Click Windows Start icon at the lower left section of the screen.
2. Open Search window and type Advanced in the field. It will open General PC Settings.
3. Click on Advanced Startup and then, click on Restart Now button.
4. Once the computer starts in Advanced Startup option menu, select Troubleshoot.
5. Next, click on Advanced Options to reveal the next section.
6. Click Startup settings and then, click Restart button to boot the PC in Startup Settings.
7. Use function key F5 or number key 5 to Enable Safe Mode with Networking.
Stage 3 : Scan the Computer with Sophos Antivirus
Ransomware files are placed deeply into the system and on various locations, thus, thorough scanning is vital to totally remove RIP Imao virus. Aside from our suggested tool, you may also run your own security program.
To remove RIP Imao automatically, scanning the computer with this efficient anti-malware tool is suggested. This scanner does not just uncover known threats like viruses or malware, it is also effective in discovering hazardous ransomware like RIP Imao.
1. Download Sophos Virus Removal Tool from the link below. Save the file on your computer where you can easily access it.
2. Once the download completes, browse the location of the file. Double-click to run the program and begin the install process.
3. On first windows of installation wizard, click Next to continue. Then, it will display the program’s License Agreement. You need to Accept the terms in order to proceed. If Windows prompts for User Account Control, please click Yes to proceed.
4. On succeeding windows, click Next or Continue to carry on with the installation. After completing the installation process, Launch Sophos Virus Removal Tool.
5. Internet connection is required when running this virus scanner in order to download important updates. Make sure that everything is up-to-date to effectively remove RIP Imao ransomware and other relevant viruses.
6. Click the Start Scanning button to inspect the computer. This will check the system for presence of malicious objects, malware, and viruses. The tool reveals items that were found linked to RIP Imao and other suspicious entities. Be sure to remove all identified threats.
The above procedures should have totally eliminated RIP Imao ransomware. However, if you found that there are still remnants of the virus, please proceed to succeeding procedures below.
Stage 4 : Double-check with Microsoft's Malicious Software Removal Tool
1. Download the free scanner called Malicious Software Removal Tool.
2. The tool automatically checks the operating system and suggest appropriate download version. Click on Download button to begin. Save the file to a convenient location, preferably on Desktop.
3. After downloading the file, Windows will prompt that download has completed. Click Run to start scanning for RIP Imao ransomware. Another option is to browse the location folder and double click on the file to run.
4. The tool will display Welcome screen, click Next. Please note the message "This tool is not a replacement for an antivirus product." You must understand that this program is made specifically to find and remove malware, viruses, Trojans, and other harmful elements on the computer. It was not designed to protect the computer.
5. Next, you will see Scan Type. Please choose Full Scan to ensure that all RIP Imao ransom virus entities and other harmful files left on the computer will be found and removed. For advanced computer user, you can opt for Customized Scan, if there are other drives or folders you wanted to include in this scan.
6. Full scan may take a while, please wait for Malicious Software Removal Tool to complete the tasks. However, you may cancel the scan anytime by clicking on the Cancel button.
7. After scanning, the tool will reveal all identified threats. There may be other threats that our first scan fails to detect. Please remove/delete all detected items.
8. When removal procedure is complete, you may now close Malicious Software Removal Tool. We hope that RIP Imao ransomware have been completely deleted from the computer. Please restart Windows to proceed with the normal operation.
Recover Files from RIP Imao Ransomware Infection
On this section, we will provide ways to decrypt files infected with RIP Imao ransomware. Aside from dedicated decryption software and common tools, other options for file recovery are provided. As much as we can, we will update this area whenever there is new and more suitable decryption tool was made available.
Decrypting RIP Imao infected files with Emsisoft Tools
This service from Emsisoft is helpful in unlocking encrypted files without paying the ransom. The page provides the list of ransomware decryption tools. All you have to do is look for the specific tool and start recovering the RIP Imao encrypted file.
Option 1: Windows Previous Version Tool
Windows Vista and Windows 7 have a feature called Previous Versions. However, this tool is only usable if restore point was made prior to ransomware infection. To use this tool as "recovery option" for files encypted by RIP Imao virus, please follow these steps:
1. Open My Computer or Windows Explorer.
2. Right-click on the affected files or folders. From the drop-down list, please click on Restore previous versions.
3. New window will open display all backup copy of files and folders you wanted to recover. Choose the appropriate file and click on Open, Copy, or Restore. Restoring selected files overwrites the current locked files on the computer. The tool is not actually recovering files encrypted by RIP Imao. Instead, it restores files from backup copy.
Option 2: Use ShadowExplorer to restore files encrypted by RIP Imao Ransomware
Just like Previous Version tool, ShadowExplorer is taking advantage of shadow copy created by Windows. This tool allows you to retrieve older version of files before it was encrypted by RIP Imao ransomware.
1. Download ShadowExplorer from the official web site.
2. Install the program with the default settings.
3. The program should run automatically after installation. If not, double-click on ShadowExplorer icon.
4. You can see the drop-down list on top of the console. Please select proper drive and the most recent point-in-time shadow copies of files you wish to restore prior to RIP Imao ransomware infection.
5. Right-click on the Drive, Folder, or File you wish to restore and click Export...
6. Lastly, ShadowExplorer will prompt for location where you want to save the copy of recovered files.
How to protect the computer from RIP Imao ransomware?
After the removal of the ransomware, it is important to prevent similar incident from happening again. In order to protect the computer effectively, computer user must know how RIP Imao ransomware was able to infect the computer. To minimize the possible infection, staying away from the common sources of this virus is crucial.
How RIP Imao ransomware can infect your computer?
The method of infecting the computers was found to be similar as other common viruses. Though, ransomware like RIP Imao is seen to have efficient deployment via spam email messages, web injectors, malicious software installers, misleading online advertisements, and through another virus infection.
Once the virus is executed, it immediately infects the system. Then, RIP Imao ransomware communicates to remote server so that unique key can be generated for the specific computer. After acquiring the key, it starts to decrypt target files using a complex method that is almost unbreakable. On the last stage of the attack, RIP Imao ransomware demands for ransom money as payment for the decryption tool. To further understand the attack scheme, we have included an infographic below.
Securing the computer against ransomware attack
Do a Regular File Back-up - Always backup your data on a separate storage devices such as external hard drives, optical discs, or online backup services.
Keep Your Software Updated - Make sure that you have the latest software updates especially on the operating system. Recent updates often contain vital security patches to help protect the computer against all forms of threats.
Install a Security Program - Protect the computer with effective anti-virus application using efficient real-time scanning. Regularly run a complete scan to check the computer for presence of malware.
Protect your files with Controlled Folder Access (Windows 10)
For Windows 10 users, aside from protecting the computer using anti-virus or anti-malware programs, one way to protect against ransomware attack is by using Controlled Folder Access. This feature of Windows Defender Security Center may not prevent the RIP Imao ransomware infection, but it can protect the folder and files in general. Follow the steps to enable Controlled Folder Access in Windows 10.
1. Go to Windows 10 Taskbar and search for Windows Defender Security Center.
2. Open Windows Defender Security Center and click on Virus & Threat Protection icon.
3. On next window, please click on Ransomware Protection.
4. Under Controlled Folder Access section, switch the slider to On. That will enable the feature and protect the folder against RIP Imao or any type of ransomware.
5. Click on Protected Folderslink to include additional folders. Make sure that folders where important files are located should be included in the list.
Certain programs maybe blocked by Controlled Folder Access feature. To fix the issue, simply have the specific program to be white listed.
1. Under Protected Folders, click Allow an app through controlled folder access.
2. Next, click the Add an allowed app and include the target executable file.
This Controlled Folder Access feature is one way to protect files against RIP Imao. Other important things to do in keeping files safe against ransomware is through early prevention like keeping programs updated, install an efficient security program, an do regular file backup on a separate media drive.