Pop-up page like “There is a Recommended Update for this PC” may look like a legitimate and official page of a known program but in reality, this is a bogus site trying to mislead computer users. It hosts suspicious browser update that when installed on the computer will cause severe harm. You must know that “There is a Recommended Update for this PC” was made to spread adware and potentially unwanted program.
When your browser is redirected to “There is a Recommended Update for this PC”, or pop-up appears as you surf the web, it may mean that your PC is compromised with malicious code. In contrary, your PC may be clean and the appearance of “There is a Recommended Update for this PC” pop-ups was just caused by an infected web site you have visited. Bear in mind that this site is malicious. Thus, you must avoid it to keep your computer safe and away from adware or malware threats. Other misleading pop-up messages that it may exhibit on the computer are as follows:
- Browser Change Detected
- You are just one click away from starting the download
- Chrome navigation error
If “There is a Recommended Update for this PC” files are executed, you may instantly acquire unwanted codes that may cause changes on the computer. Moreover, add-ons and extensions brought by this site can do modifications on the browser that causes pop-up ads, redirects, home page hijacking, and other unsolicited actions.
In order to prevent “There is a Recommended Update for this PC” attack, you must take extra caution when visiting web sites particularly unknown ones. As much as possible, avoid downloading unfamiliar freeware or shareware that are commonly the carrier or adware and other malicious programs.
To completely remove “There is a Recommended Update for this PC” adware and stop the pop-up ads, you may have to scan the PC with legitimate security tools and virus removers. Removing any relevant software also helps eliminate unwanted items on the computer.
"Recommended Update for this PC" Removal Procedure
Below is a systematic instruction that is very useful in getting rid of the potentially unwanted program (PUP) from compromised computer. In order to totally eliminate the threat, it is vital to follow the process in exact manner.
Remove "Recommended Update for this PC" pop-ups and redirects by executing these steps:
Quick Fix - Scan the PC with Combo Cleaner for Windows
Combo Cleaner is a trusted PC security and optimization tool equipped with a powerful virus and malware detection engine. This program can get rid of pop-up and redirect adware like "Recommended Update for this PC" through this procedure.
1. Download the application from the following page:
2. Save the file to your preferred location.
3. Double-click the downloaded file CCSetup.exe and install with the default settings.
4. At the end of the setup process, click Finish to run Combo Cleaner.
5. The tool will update the signature file; please wait for this process to complete.
6. To begin checking for threats like "Recommended Update for this PC", click on the Start Scan button. Wait for this scan to finish.
7. At the end of the scan process, click on Remove all threats to delete "Recommended Update for this PC" pop-ups and redirects, including all malicious objects from the computer.
Free features of Combo Cleaner for Windows include Disk Cleaner, Big Files finder, Duplicate files finder, and Uninstaller. To use antivirus, privacy scanner, and to delete identified threats, users have to upgrade to a premium version.
Please continue with the succeeding removal procedures if you are comfortable manually getting rid of the threat and malicious items linked to it.
Step 1 : Get rid of Pop-ups (Notification)
Normally, "Recommended Update for this PC" pop-ups will start to bombard internet browser screen with pop-ups if web user was deceived to click “Allow” button that triggers the said website to send push notification. To stop "Recommended Update for this PC" from showing the pop-ups, please execute the procedures below.
Remove "Recommended Update for this PC" from Google Chrome
1. On Google Chrome browser, input the following in the address bar and press Enter:
2. Navigate to the list under "Allowed to send notifications" section and look for "Recommended Update for this PC".
3. Click the ellipses (3 dots) beside "Recommended Update for this PC" list to reveal the options.
4. Click on Block or Remove to stop "Recommended Update for this PC" from displaying pop-up ads on Google Chrome browser.
5. Please restart Google Chrome browser.
Stop "Recommended Update for this PC" pop-up on Mozilla Firefox
1. On Mozilla Firefox browser, type the following in the address bar and press Enter key:
2. Navigate below to Permission area and look for Notifications.
3. Click the Settings button aligned with the Notifications.
4. Look for "Recommended Update for this PC" entry and change the Status to Block.
5. Click on Save Changes and restart Mozilla Firefox and check if "Recommended Update for this PC" pop-up is gone.
Remove "Recommended Update for this PC" from Safari (Mac)
1. On top menu, click on Safari and then, select Preferences from the drop-down list.
2. Click on Websites tab to open its settings.
3. Select Notifications from the left sidebar.
4. On right panel, it will display a list of websites with "Allow" attribute.
5. Find and click on "Recommended Update for this PC".
6. You may choose to Deny or Remove it from the notification list.
7. You may now restart Safari browser and see if "Recommended Update for this PC" pop-up is gone.
Get rid of "Recommended Update for this PC" from Microsoft Edge
1. Assuming that Edge browser is open, click on the ellipses (3 dots) on upper right corner to open the Settings. Alternatively, you can press Alt + X on the keyboard.
2. Select Settings from the drop-down list.
3. Click on Advanced.
4. Under Website Permissions area, click on Manage Permissions button.
5. Find and select "Recommended Update for this PC" from the list. Click on X button to stop it from showing pop-up ads or notifications.
6. You may now restart Edge browser.
Step 2 : Scan and Delete Adware with AdwCleaner
In addition to the procedure, we suggest scanning the computer with AdwCleaner tool. Possibly, there are some traces of codes causing "Recommended Update for this PC" to show up on the browser that was not deleted during the preceding steps. This tool will scan the computer and check for presence of malicious applications.
1. Follow the link below to download the tool called AdwCleaner.
2. When the download has completed, please close all running programs on the computer especially browsers affected by "Recommended Update for this PC".
3. Browse the location of the downloaded file and double-click on adwcleaner_Ver.exe to start running the tool. Then, click on Scan button.
4. AdwCleaner searches the computer for malicious programs, extensions, plug-ins, adware, and any items that may be associated to "Recommended Update for this PC" pop-ups.
5. Clean or Remove all suspicious and harmful items identified after the thorough scan.
6. After the cleanup procedure, rebooting the computer is required to finalize the removal of detected threats.
Step 3 : Delete Suspicious Browser Extension
Most adware and unwanted programs use an application called a "browser extension" to be able to take over the settings of internet applications. Therefore, we highly recommend checking and removing the extension that is closely related to "Recommended Update for this PC". If it is not present, look for and delete any suspicious browser extension.
Remove the suspicious Browser Extension from Google Chrome
1. Open your Google Chrome browser.
2. Type chrome://extensions/ in the address bar and press Enter on the keyboard.
3. Find "Recommended Update for this PC" or any relevant entry and remove it from the Google Chrome browser.
Uninstall the unwanted Extension from Mozilla Firefox
1. Open the Mozilla Firefox browser.
2. Type about:addons in the address bar and press Enter on the keyboard.
3. Choose Extensions from the sidebar menu.
4. Look for an object that pertains to "Recommended Update for this PC" and remove it from the browser.
After deleting the malicious browser extension, it is expected that pop-ups and other troubles will be gone from the internet browser.
Remove the malicious Extension from Microsoft Windows and Edge Browser
1. On your keyboard, press Windows Key + R and then, type the appwiz.cpl command.
2. The Program and Features window will open. Arrange the list in a chronological manner, with recently installed applications on top. To do this, click on the 'Installed On' column.
3. Select suspicious or a recently installed unknown entry. Then, click on Uninstall to remove it from the Windows system.
If "Recommended Update for this PC" is still present on the browser and there are still pop-ups and redirects, another option is to remove the adware from the browser settings.
4. Open the Microsoft Edge program.
5. Input edge://extensions/ in the URL bar and press Enter on the keyboard.
6. Look for and Remove or Disable unwanted entries from the Installed Extensions area. Additionally, delete the same object from the Search Providers section by executing the Hijacker Removal Procedure for Edge.
7. Close the window and restart Microsoft Edge.
Step 4 : Alternative Method to Clean Up Google Chrome from "Recommended Update for this PC"
Not all browser threats are the same. Some cannot be removed by deleting relevant extensions and codes. In this instance, resetting the browser to its default configuration is the best solution. If "Recommended Update for this PC" is still bothering you after completing all the steps above, please execute the procedures below to proceed with the Safety Check.
Use Chrome Safety Check to Delete "Recommended Update for this PC"
1. Open the Google Chrome application.
2. Type this string in the address box: chrome://settings/privacy and then, press Enter on the keyboard.
3. Go to Safety Check section and click on Check Now button.
4. Remove any suspicious extensions or sites that are extensively showing notifications.
This feature of Google Chrome aims to find malicious websites and harmful software. If unable to delete "Recommended Update for this PC", the other option is to Reset Google Chrome settings to its original defaults. See more details on this page.