Rack-search.com is a home page redirect adware currently targeting Mac OS X computer systems. Certain channels were utilized to spread this threat via the internet. Rack-search.com may come with various freeware that users may download from questionable servers. This browser hijacker can also sneak into the computer through another adware or program of the same sort.
When Rack-search.com is installed on Macintosh system, it makes changes on the browser right away. It can infect Safari, Google Chrome, or Firefox internet applications. Modified home page and search engine are some of the visible signs once computer is contaminated with this adware. Obviously, Rack-search.com will occupy browser’s start-up page and new tab. The adware may also complicate your online searching due to various misleading result links and occasional redirects.
Existence of Rack-search.com not only causes disturbances. Above all, your security and privacy is at risks from such adware. This dubious search engine is set to steal sensitive data from computer users. It may record your web activities including visited web sites, search inquiries, and some other things that are relevant to your products or commercial interests. Gathered data from the browser will be exploited to further serve advertisements that are more significant.
As you can see, Rack-search.com is an objective type of adware that aims to generate online profit through advertisements and promotions. In fact, every adware evolves on this scheme. This is also the foremost reason why adware multiplies overnight. Like in the case of Rack-search.com, there are roughly over dozens of variants wandering all over the web. Thus, stay away from questionable web sites that are being consumed by cybercriminals to spread Rack-search.com.
Online Security Scanner Report for rack-search.com:
|Not yet tested||Community Rating: 0.0||Updated: July 25, 2017|
|Not yet rated||Feedback: No Data||Updated: July 25, 2017|
|Currently safe||Feedback: No Data||Updated: July 25, 2017|
Procedures to Remove Rack-search.com Hijacker from Mac
This section contains comprehensive guide to help you remove threats from the affected computer.
Procedures on this page are written in a manner that can be easily understand and execute by computer users.
Step 1: Remove Browser Extensions that belongs to Rack-search.com
Adware and malware normally adds extension to the browser that may result to various unwanted redirects and pop-ups. We need to find and delete this add-on.
1. Locate the add-on or extension that is relevant to the adware. To do this, please follow the procedure depending on affected browser.
Safari – Choose Preferences from the Safari menu, then click the Extensions icon. This will open a window showing all installed extensions.
Chrome – Select Preferences from the Chrome menu, and then click the Extensions link found on the left pane.
Firefox – Choose Add-ons from the Tools menu. Look at both the Extensions and Plugins lists when it opens a new window.
2. Once you have located Rack-search.com, click on Remove or Uninstall, to get rid of it.
3. Close the browser and proceed to the next steps.
Step 2: Delete Malicious Files that have installed Rack-search.com
1. Select and copy the string below to your Clipboard by pressing Command + C on your keyboard.
2. Go to your Finder. From the menu bar please select Go > Go to Folder…
3. Press Command + V on your keyboard to paste the copied string. Press Return to go to the said folder.
4. You will now see a folder named LaunchAgents. Take note of the following files inside the folder:
The term unknown is just a representation of the actual malware name. It is normally an unfamiliar file name such as the following:
– Genieo, Inkeeper, InstallMac, Smokyashan, Hollyarrow, Shroomcourt, Shockmute
If you cannot find the specified file, please look for any unfamiliar or suspicious entries. It may be the one causing the Rack-search.com to be present on your Mac. Arranging all items to see the most latest ones may also help you identify recently installed unfamiliar files. Please press Option + Command + 4 on your keyboard to arrange the application list in chronological order.
Important: Take note of all the suspicious files as you may also delete the same item on another folder as we go on.
5. Drag all suspicious files that you may find to Trash.
6. Please restart the computer.
7. Open another folder using the same method as above. Copy and Paste the following string to easily locate the folder.
8. Look for any suspicious items that are similar to the ones in Step 4. Drag them to the Trash.
Optional: For locked files that cannot be removed, do the following:
1. Go to Launchpad, Utilities folder, open Activity Monitor.
2. Select the process you want to quit.
3. Click on Force Quit button.
4. You may now delete or remove locked files that belongs to Rack-search.com.
Step 3: Scan the System with Adware Removal Tool for Mac
1. Download Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac from this link:
Click here to download MBAM for Mac (this will open a new window)
2. Run Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac. It will check for updates and download if most recent version is available. This is necessary in finding recent malware threats including Rack-search.com.
3. If it prompts to close all running web browser, please do so. Thus, we advise you to PRINT this guide for your reference before going offline.
4. Once it opens the user interface, please click on Scan button to start scanning your Mac computer.
5. After the scan, Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac will display a list of identified threats, Rack-search.com is surely part of it. Be sure to select all items in the list. Then, click Remove button to clean the computer.
Step 4 : Reset the default Home Page and Search Engine
– Open your Safari browser.
– Go to Safari Menu located on upper left hand corner, and then select Preferences.
– Under General tab, navigate to Default Search Engine section and select Google or any valid search engine.
– Next, be sure that “New Windows Open With” field is set to Homepage.
– Lastly, remove Rack-search.com from the Homepage field. Replace it with your preferred URL to be set as your default homepage.
– Open Chrome browser.
– Type the following on the address bar and press Enter on keyboard : chrome://settings/
– Look for ‘On Startup’ area.
– Select ‘Open a specific page or set of pages’.
– Click on Set pages.
– Enter the desired web address as your home page, replacing Rack-search.com.
– To set default search engine, go to Search area.
– Click on ‘Manage search engines…‘ button.
– Highlight the desired Search Engine and Click on ‘Make Default‘.
– On the same window, highlight Rack-search.com and Click “X” to delete it.
– Run Mozilla Firefox browser.
– Type the following on the address bar and hit Enter on keyboard : about:preferences
– On Startup area, select ‘Show my home page when Firefox starts’.
– Under Home Page field, type the desired URL.
– To configure default search engine, select Search on left sidebar to display settings.
– Under Default Search Engine list, please select one.
– On the same page, you have an option to Remove unwanted search engine.