Another counterfeit security and optimization tool that may force itself onto a target Macintosh computer is called Quick Mac Care. It comes from a rogue program family, which uses same old ways of spreading their creations via malicious software bundling scheme. Via this method, execution of Quick Mac Care is discrete and adopts administrative privilege of the host file. Therefore, it does not prompt for user’s permission prior to installation. The same invasive techniques were also applied on other versions including Mac Magician and Smart Mac Tuneup.
When successfully installed on the computer, Quick Mac Care act as it is concern about wellness and security of Mac systems. It runs a thorough scan to look for junk files, infected codes, and similar issues or threats. Subsequently, Quick Mac Care displays bunch of identified troubles that needs fixing using the full version of the same application. Adding up to this inducing technique are pop-ups of warnings and alerts stating the same troubles. As always, it urges users to proceed with repair at a cost of Quick Mac Care registered version.
Bear in mind that the software in question is a rogue tool claiming to secure and optimize the computer; hence, it can only do its job after the acquisition of license key. Keep in mind that bogus programs were made to deceive users by issuing false detection. Diagnostics of Quick Mac Care are just simulation and it will detect the same alarming results even on clean or newly formatted systems. The right thing to do is to remove Quick Mac Care immediately. This is the real threat that masquerades as legitimate program in sole objective of swindling money from victims. Execute the guide below to get rid of the rogue tool using only legitimate virus and malware scanners.
Procedures to Remove Quick Mac Care
This section contains complete instructions to assist you in removing potentially unwanted program from Mac system.
Procedures published on this page are written in method that can be easily understand and execute by Mac users.
Quick Fix - Scan the System with Combo Cleaner
Combo Cleaner is a trusted Mac utility application with complete antivirus and optimization features. It is useful in dealing with adware and malware. Moreover, it can get rid of unwanted program like Quick Mac Care. You may need to purchase full version if you require to maximize its premium features.
1. Download the tool from the following page:
2. Double-click the downloaded file and proceed with the installation.
3. In the opened window, drag and drop the Combo Cleaner icon onto your Applications folder icon.
4. Open your Launchpad and click on the Combo Cleaner icon.
5. Wait until antivirus downloads its latest virus definition updates and click on "Start Combo Scan" to start removing Quick Mac Care.
6. As shown in the image below, Combo Cleaner accurately detects Quick Mac Care rogue program. Proceed with the removal of the virus by upgrading Combo Cleaner to full version.
Free features of Combo Cleaner include Disk Cleaner, Big Files finder, Duplicate files finder, and Uninstaller. To use antivirus and privacy scanner, users have to upgrade to a premium version.
Proceed with the rest of the removal steps if you are comfortable in manually removing malicious objects associated with the threat.
Step 1 : Quit Quick Mac Care Process
Before proceeding with the steps below, please close Quick Mac Care window if in case it is open.
1. Go to Launchpad, Utilities folder, open Activity Monitor.
2. Choose All Processes from the upper right corner of the window.
3. Under Process Name column, look for Quick Mac Care. Click the name to select the malicious process.
4. Next, click the Quit Process button located in the upper left corner of the window.
5. When prompted, click on Force Quit.
6. You may now delete or remove files that belongs to Quick Mac Care. Proceed to the next steps.
Step 2 : Delete Quick Mac Care Login Items
Some malware also installs login item into compromised account under System Preferences. This object automatically runs Quick Mac Care during user log in.
1. Go to Apple menu and choose System Preferences.
2. Select Users & Groups from the preferences window.
3. You may need to Unlock this area in order to make changes. Click on the Lock icon on lower left corner of the window.
4. Next, select user account that runs Quick Mac Care.
5. Click on Login Items tab.
6. Select Quick Mac Care from listed entries and click on the minus [-] button and confirm your actions. Please see image below for reference.
As stated, the creation of Login Items or profile is case-to-case basis. Some unwanted application may add their entry on this section but others are not concern on making one. So, if Quick Mac Care Login item is not present, please continue with the succeeding steps.
Step 3 : Delete Quick Mac Care Application
1. Go to Finder.
2. On the menu, click Go and then, select Applications from the list to open Applications Folder.
3. Find Quick Mac Care or any unwanted program.
4. Drag the Quick Mac Care to Trash Bin to delete the application from Mac.
5. Right-click on Trash icon and click on Empty Trash.
Step 4 : Delete Malicious Files that have installed Quick Mac Care
1. Select and copy the string below to your Clipboard by pressing Command + C on your keyboard.
2. Go to your Finder. From the menu bar please select Go > Go to Folder...
3. Press Command + V on your keyboard to paste the copied string. Press Return to go to the said folder.
4. You will now see a folder named LaunchAgents. Take note of the following files inside the folder:
If you cannot find the specified file, please look for any unfamiliar or suspicious entries. It may be the one causing Quick Mac Care to be present on your Mac. Arranging all items to see the most latest ones may also help you identify recently installed unfamiliar files. Please press Option + Command + 4 on your keyboard to arrange the application list in chronological order.
5. Drag all suspicious files that you may find to Trash.
6. Repeat Step 2, numbers 1-5 procedures on the following folder (without ~):
7. Please restart the computer.
8. Open another folder using the same method as above. Copy and Paste the following string to easily locate the folder.
9. Look for suspicious objects or folders with the following names and drag them to the Trash.
- Quick Mac Care
10. Repeat procedures 8 and 9 on the following folders if necessary.
11. Go to your Finder and open the Applications Folder. Look for subfolders with names similar above and drag them to Trash.
12. Lastly, please Empty your Mac's Trash bin.
Step 5 : Run another Scan using MBAM Tool for Mac
1. Download Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac from the link below.
2. Run Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac. It will check for updates and download if most recent version is available. This is necessary in finding recent malware threats including Quick Mac Care.
3. If it prompts to close all running web browser, please do so. Thus, we advise you to PRINT this guide for your reference before going offline.
4. Once it opens the user interface, please click on Scan button to start scanning your Mac computer.
5. After the scan, Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac will display a list of identified threats, Quick Mac Care is surely part of it. Be sure to select all items in the list. Then, click Remove button to clean the computer.
6. You may now restart the computer.