PUP.Optional.WebProtect is a generic detection given by Malwarebytes Anti-Malware to identify adware or potentially unwanted program that may inject security risks on the computer. PUP.Optional.WebProtect was made to control the every part of Internet browser. PUP.Optional.WebProtect detection normally applies to malicious add-on or extension that alters home page settings, adds toolbar, installs other potentially harmful software, and set unknown search engine. The purpose is simply to promote the program, which in return will gain profit for adware authors.
Internet browser elements that was tagged as PUP.Optional.WebProtect is capable of changing the home page without giving you any way to reverse whatever has done. Even removing and reinstalling the affected browser may not help resolve the issue because PUP.Optional.WebProtect is somehow using a locking mechanism to prevent further changes. It may require thorough virus scanning of the Windows system.
To avoid the harm cause by PUP.Optional.WebProtect, it is important that you know where it originates. Free program or shareware is the number one source of this potentially unwanted program. PUP.Optional.WebProtect is bundled with free programs that were configured to install adware once you execute it. Links from social media sites and spam emails may likewise drop PUP.Optional.WebProtect into the system.
How to Remove PUP.Optional.WebProtect
Stage 1: Scan the Computer with ESET Rogue Application Remover (ERAR)
1. Download the free scanner called ESET Rogue Application Remover.
Download Link for ERAR (this will open a new window)
2. Choose appropriate version for your Windows System. Save the file to a convenient location, preferably on Desktop.
3. After downloading the file, Windows will prompt that download has completed. Click Run to start the program. Another option is to browse the location folder and double click on the file ERARemover_.exe.
4. On ESET Rogue Application Remover SOFTWARE LICENSE TERMS, click Accept to continue.
5. The tool will start scanning the computer. It will prompt when it finds PUP.Optional.WebProtect and other malicious entities. Follow the prompt to proceed with the removal.
Stage 2: Double-check for PUP.Optional.WebProtect’ leftover with Microsoft’s Malicious Software Removal Tool
1. Download the free scanner called Malicious Software Removal Tool.
Malicious Software Removal Tool Download Link (this will open a new window)
2. The tool automatically checks the operating system and suggest appropriate download version. Click on Download button to begin. Save the file to a convenient location, preferably on Desktop.
3. After downloading the file, Windows will prompt that download has completed. Click Run to start scanning for PUP.Optional.WebProtect. Another option is to browse the location folder and double click on the file to run.
4. The tool will display Welcome screen, click Next. Please note the message “This tool is not a replacement for an antivirus product.” You must understand that this program is made specifically to find and remove malware, viruses, Trojans, and other harmful elements on the computer. It was not designed to protect the computer.
5. Next, you will see Scan Type. Please choose Full Scan to ensure that all PUP.Optional.WebProtect entities and other harmful files left on the computer will be found and removed. For advanced computer user, you can opt for Customized Scan, if there are other drives or folders you wanted to include in this scan.
6. Full scan may take a while, please wait for Malicious Software Removal Tool to complete the tasks. However, you may cancel the scan anytime by clicking on the Cancel button.
7. After scanning, the tool will reveal all identified threats. There may be other threats that our first scan fails to detect. Please remove/delete all detected items.
8. When removal procedure is complete, you may now close Malicious Software Removal Tool. We hope that PUP.Optional.WebProtect have been completely deleted from the computer. Please restart Windows to proceed with the normal operation.