VAF Player and VPL Media are known adware and is the main target for PUP.Optional.VPLMedia.A detection. Both programs were made by Tuguu. When Malwarebytes Anti-malware or any other security programs alerts you on the presence of PUP.Optional.VPLMedia.A, it signifies that there is a presence of VAFPlayer or VPL Media on the computer.
If PUP.Optional.VPLMedia.A is installed on the browser, it injects a code known as add-on or plug-in. This code brings irritation to user especially if it started to redirect search results to unknown address. Home page hijacking is also known as one of this threat’s main action. It forces you to use unwanted search engine in order to bring traffic to its clients via the search result. PUP.Optional.VPLMedia.A also covers identification for Toolbars and other component that may be installed on the browser that has no valuable use.
Some deemed PUP.Optional.VPLMedia.A as a virus or some kind of malware attack. Technically, this threat is not a virus. It may display similar traits such as computer invasion, but it does not have all the property to be categorized as virus. PUP or potentially unwanted program is a program that gets installed on the system unknown to user. On some case, users may have a knowledge installing the program but it was either they are mislead or tricked.
It is crucial that PUP.Optional.VPLMedia.A be removed from the computer to avoid further harm. Having an effective protection will help prevent infection and keep your computer safe while online. If you already have an anti-virus that cannot detect this threat, installing an anti-malware program is highly advised.
How to Remove PUP.Optional.VPLMedia.A
Stage 1: Scan the Computer with ESET Rogue Application Remover (ERAR)
1. Download the free scanner called ESET Rogue Application Remover.
Download Link for ERAR (this will open a new window)
2. Choose appropriate version for your Windows System. Save the file to a convenient location, preferably on Desktop.
3. After downloading the file, Windows will prompt that download has completed. Click Run to start the program. Another option is to browse the location folder and double click on the file ERARemover_.exe.
4. On ESET Rogue Application Remover SOFTWARE LICENSE TERMS, click Accept to continue.
5. The tool will start scanning the computer. It will prompt when it finds PUP.Optional.VPLMedia.A and other malicious entities. Follow the prompt to proceed with the removal.
Stage 2: Double-check for PUP.Optional.VPLMedia.A’ leftover with Microsoft’s Malicious Software Removal Tool
1. Download the free scanner called Malicious Software Removal Tool.
Malicious Software Removal Tool Download Link (this will open a new window)
2. The tool automatically checks the operating system and suggest appropriate download version. Click on Download button to begin. Save the file to a convenient location, preferably on Desktop.
3. After downloading the file, Windows will prompt that download has completed. Click Run to start scanning for PUP.Optional.VPLMedia.A. Another option is to browse the location folder and double click on the file to run.
4. The tool will display Welcome screen, click Next. Please note the message “This tool is not a replacement for an antivirus product.” You must understand that this program is made specifically to find and remove malware, viruses, Trojans, and other harmful elements on the computer. It was not designed to protect the computer.
5. Next, you will see Scan Type. Please choose Full Scan to ensure that all PUP.Optional.VPLMedia.A entities and other harmful files left on the computer will be found and removed. For advanced computer user, you can opt for Customized Scan, if there are other drives or folders you wanted to include in this scan.
6. Full scan may take a while, please wait for Malicious Software Removal Tool to complete the tasks. However, you may cancel the scan anytime by clicking on the Cancel button.
7. After scanning, the tool will reveal all identified threats. There may be other threats that our first scan fails to detect. Please remove/delete all detected items.
8. When removal procedure is complete, you may now close Malicious Software Removal Tool. We hope that PUP.Optional.VPLMedia.A have been completely deleted from the computer. Please restart Windows to proceed with the normal operation.
Post Last Modified On August 28, 2013