PUP.Optional.SmartBar.A is used by Malwarebytes Anti-Malware program to identify a threat that is part of SmartBar adware. It is identified as a Browser Helper Object (BHO) that will be installed on browser without user’s approval. TrendMicro detects this threat as SPYW_HIJACK and was posted a detailed analysis of SmartBar.
PUP.Optional.SmartBar.A is also known to be linked with another dreadful adware called Snap.Do. Both can make changes to the browser’s homepage and alter certain settings. The adware also collects data about your computer, browsing habit, and other sensitive information. Accomplishing the tasks requires the adware to drop a plug-in in order to enhance the presence of SmartBar. That is the particular code that can be detected as PUP.Optional.SmartBar.A. Unfortunately, not all security tools that can identify the adware may be able to remove it. Some computer users who got this adware confirm difficulty of removing it from the browser. Most of them even resort to manually restoring the browser to default settings.
Not just because one has successfully deleted PUP.Optional.SmartBar.A, everything will be fine. Take note that during the presence of the adware, it collects some data from your PC. To be safe, we highly encourage changing online passwords and removing all Internet cookies and cache files on the system.
PUP.Optional.SmartBar.A is not as harmful as viruses or malware, but it has an ability to expose your data to an attacker.
How to Remove PUP.Optional.SmartBar.A
Stage 1: Scan the Computer with ESET Rogue Application Remover (ERAR)
1. Download the free scanner called ESET Rogue Application Remover.
Download Link for ERAR (this will open a new window)
2. Choose appropriate version for your Windows System. Save the file to a convenient location, preferably on Desktop.
3. After downloading the file, Windows will prompt that download has completed. Click Run to start the program. Another option is to browse the location folder and double click on the file ERARemover_.exe.
4. On ESET Rogue Application Remover SOFTWARE LICENSE TERMS, click Accept to continue.
5. The tool will start scanning the computer. It will prompt when it finds PUP.Optional.SmartBar.A and other malicious entities. Follow the prompt to proceed with the removal.
Stage 2: Double-check for PUP.Optional.SmartBar.A’s leftover with Microsoft’s Malicious Software Removal Tool
1. Download the free scanner called Malicious Software Removal Tool.
Malicious Software Removal Tool Download Link (this will open a new window)
2. The tool automatically checks the operating system and suggest appropriate download version. Click on Download button to begin. Save the file to a convenient location, preferably on Desktop.
3. After downloading the file, Windows will prompt that download has completed. Click Run to start scanning for PUP.Optional.SmartBar.A. Another option is to browse the location folder and double click on the file to run.
4. The tool will display Welcome screen, click Next. Please note the message “This tool is not a replacement for an antivirus product.” You must understand that this program is made specifically to find and remove malware, viruses, Trojans, and other harmful elements on the computer. It was not designed to protect the computer.
5. Next, you will see Scan Type. Please choose Full Scan to ensure that all PUP.Optional.SmartBar.A entities and other harmful files left on the computer will be found and removed. For advanced computer user, you can opt for Customized Scan, if there are other drives or folders you wanted to include in this scan.
6. Full scan may take a while, please wait for Malicious Software Removal Tool to complete the tasks. However, you may cancel the scan anytime by clicking on the Cancel button.
7. After scanning, the tool will reveal all identified threats. There may be other threats that our first scan fails to detect. Please remove/delete all detected items.
8. When removal procedure is complete, you may now close Malicious Software Removal Tool. We hope that PUP.Optional.SmartBar.A have been completely deleted from the computer. Please restart Windows to proceed with the normal operation.
Post Last Modified On September 12, 2019