PUP.Optional.Searchagent is a detection name used by Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and other computer protection tool to spot codes, files, registry entries, browser add-on, and other entities tries to alter default search settings on Internet browser programs. There are a number of components for this potentially unwanted program that gets installed on browsers without your consent. Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, and Google Chrome can be injected with PUP.Optional.Searchagent modules to accomplish the main goal of promoting potentially unwanted programs.
PUP.Optional.Searchagent presence on the computer does not imply virus infection. Although, the risk may cause harmful effect if not removed right away. We highly suggest complete scan on the computer whenever your security product pop-ups an alert about PUP.Optional.Searchagent or any similar threats.
PUP is the term used to claim a program that not so many computer users want or need. It is Potentially Unwanted Program. In short, it will get into the computer even without your request; even you do not want its presence. In particular, PUP.Optional.Searchagent is a module of any programs, extension, toolbar and search hijacker that overrides Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, and Google Chrome without asking for your approval.
Optional was used in this detection due to some instances that user may opt-out in the installation of unknown search engines. When PUP.Optional.Searchagent comes bundled with shareware, there is a portion in the installation process where in unwanted search engine will be installed by default. All you have to do is remove the check mark to exclude this adware from the install process.
How to Remove PUP.Optional.Searchagent
Stage 1: Scan the Computer with ESET Rogue Application Remover (ERAR)
1. Download the free scanner called ESET Rogue Application Remover.
Download Link for ERAR (this will open a new window)
2. Choose appropriate version for your Windows System. Save the file to a convenient location, preferably on Desktop.
3. After downloading the file, Windows will prompt that download has completed. Click Run to start the program. Another option is to browse the location folder and double click on the file ERARemover_.exe.
4. On ESET Rogue Application Remover SOFTWARE LICENSE TERMS, click Accept to continue.
5. The tool will start scanning the computer. It will prompt when it finds PUP.Optional.Searchagent and other malicious entities. Follow the prompt to proceed with the removal.
Stage 2: Double-check for PUP.Optional.Searchagent’ leftover with Microsoft’s Malicious Software Removal Tool
1. Download the free scanner called Malicious Software Removal Tool.
Malicious Software Removal Tool Download Link (this will open a new window)
2. The tool automatically checks the operating system and suggest appropriate download version. Click on Download button to begin. Save the file to a convenient location, preferably on Desktop.
3. After downloading the file, Windows will prompt that download has completed. Click Run to start scanning for PUP.Optional.Searchagent. Another option is to browse the location folder and double click on the file to run.
4. The tool will display Welcome screen, click Next. Please note the message “This tool is not a replacement for an antivirus product.” You must understand that this program is made specifically to find and remove malware, viruses, Trojans, and other harmful elements on the computer. It was not designed to protect the computer.
5. Next, you will see Scan Type. Please choose Full Scan to ensure that all PUP.Optional.Searchagent entities and other harmful files left on the computer will be found and removed. For advanced computer user, you can opt for Customized Scan, if there are other drives or folders you wanted to include in this scan.
6. Full scan may take a while, please wait for Malicious Software Removal Tool to complete the tasks. However, you may cancel the scan anytime by clicking on the Cancel button.
7. After scanning, the tool will reveal all identified threats. There may be other threats that our first scan fails to detect. Please remove/delete all detected items.
8. When removal procedure is complete, you may now close Malicious Software Removal Tool. We hope that PUP.Optional.Searchagent have been completely deleted from the computer. Please restart Windows to proceed with the normal operation.