Pop-up alert showing a threat PUP.Optional.AddLyrics usually comes from security software MalwareBytes Anti-malware. In other terms, this is called Adware:Win32/AddLyrics. It is defined as an Internet Explorer add-on, Google Chrome extension, or Mozilla Firefox plug-in. Users who are deceived by unfair marketing scheme can download PUP.Optional.AddLyrics infected files from addlyrics.net web site. Some computer users may obtain it without their consent through third-party software.
Security experts tagged PUP.Optional.AddLyrics as a nasty adware that runs itself on every Windows boot-up by creating scheduled tasks. Once loaded and running, this adware will display advertisements as you surf the web. One thing very noticeable about it is the ability to display song lyrics whenever you are viewing pages relevant to songs and music, or viewing movies on Youtube.
This program was dubbed as malicious because it collects data on the computer even without user’s approval. Its display of ads that appear outside of the context is another way of unjust marketing scheme employed by adware authors. The main goal of PUP.Optional.AddLyrics is to generate revenue either by displaying ads or by delivering Internet traffic to client web sites.
In general, PUP.Optional.AddLyrics files and entities can be removed by uninstalling the “AddLyrics” from Windows Control Panel. If uninstall function is not on hand, does not work properly, you can always perform the removal guide on this article.
How to Remove PUP.Optional.AddLyrics
Stage 1: Scan the Computer with ESET Rogue Application Remover (ERAR)
1. Download the free scanner called ESET Rogue Application Remover.
Download Link for ERAR (this will open a new window)
2. Choose appropriate version for your Windows System. Save the file to a convenient location, preferably on Desktop.
3. After downloading the file, Windows will prompt that download has completed. Click Run to start the program. Another option is to browse the location folder and double click on the file ERARemover_.exe.
4. On ESET Rogue Application Remover SOFTWARE LICENSE TERMS, click Accept to continue.
5. The tool will start scanning the computer. It will prompt when it finds PUP.Optional.AddLyrics and other malicious entities. Follow the prompt to proceed with the removal.
Stage 2: Double-check for PUP.Optional.AddLyrics’ leftover with Microsoft’s Malicious Software Removal Tool
1. Download the free scanner called Malicious Software Removal Tool.
Malicious Software Removal Tool Download Link (this will open a new window)
2. The tool automatically checks the operating system and suggest appropriate download version. Click on Download button to begin. Save the file to a convenient location, preferably on Desktop.
3. After downloading the file, Windows will prompt that download has completed. Click Run to start scanning for PUP.Optional.AddLyrics. Another option is to browse the location folder and double click on the file to run.
4. The tool will display Welcome screen, click Next. Please note the message “This tool is not a replacement for an antivirus product.” You must understand that this program is made specifically to find and remove malware, viruses, Trojans, and other harmful elements on the computer. It was not designed to protect the computer.
5. Next, you will see Scan Type. Please choose Full Scan to ensure that all PUP.Optional.AddLyrics entities and other harmful files left on the computer will be found and removed. For advanced computer user, you can opt for Customized Scan, if there are other drives or folders you wanted to include in this scan.
6. Full scan may take a while, please wait for Malicious Software Removal Tool to complete the tasks. However, you may cancel the scan anytime by clicking on the Cancel button.
7. After scanning, the tool will reveal all identified threats. There may be other threats that our first scan fails to detect. Please remove/delete all detected items.
8. When removal procedure is complete, you may now close Malicious Software Removal Tool. We hope that PUP.Optional.AddLyrics have been completely deleted from the computer. Please restart Windows to proceed with the normal operation.