PUP.Optional.4Squared is a detection given by Malwarebytes Anti-malware to a malicious files that user may obtain from 4shared web site. There are several types of this file ranging from simple adware, add-on, toolbar, and malicious scripts.
PUP.Optional.4Squared also covers the detection for a browser plug-in that promotes the site 4shared or any tools used by it. For instance 4Share Downloader app can also be identified as PUP.Optional.4Squared.
The detection was given due to the program’s method of installing itself on the computer. Most of the time, user is not aware of having 4share program. It is usually bundled with shareware that can be downloaded from various locations. Once the shareware is installed, it likewise load 4shared or 4squared toolbar, add-on, and redirect adware.
You must remember that detection of PUP.Optional.4Squared is not as harmful as virus infection. It just claims that a potentially unwanted program is trying to get installed, or it is already installed on the computer. Other security programs may identify this threat as Artemis!9269DBE7FEE6, Win32/4Shared.D, Win32:Toolbar-N [PUP], Win32.Troj.Generic.a.(kcloud), Trojan.SuspectCRC, or Riskware/4Shared.
If you are unsure of the program you have downloaded and it was identified as one of the given names above, it is safer to remove it right away. It may further bring other malware to the computer if not deleted as soon as possible.
How to Remove PUP.Optional.4Squared
Stage 1: Scan the Computer with ESET Rogue Application Remover (ERAR)
1. Download the free scanner called ESET Rogue Application Remover.
Download Link for ERAR (this will open a new window)
2. Choose appropriate version for your Windows System. Save the file to a convenient location, preferably on Desktop.
3. After downloading the file, Windows will prompt that download has completed. Click Run to start the program. Another option is to browse the location folder and double click on the file ERARemover_.exe.
4. On ESET Rogue Application Remover SOFTWARE LICENSE TERMS, click Accept to continue.
5. The tool will start scanning the computer. It will prompt when it finds PUP.Optional.4Squared and other malicious entities. Follow the prompt to proceed with the removal.
Stage 2: Double-check for PUP.Optional.4Squared’ leftover with Microsoft’s Malicious Software Removal Tool
1. Download the free scanner called Malicious Software Removal Tool.
Malicious Software Removal Tool Download Link (this will open a new window)
2. The tool automatically checks the operating system and suggest appropriate download version. Click on Download button to begin. Save the file to a convenient location, preferably on Desktop.
3. After downloading the file, Windows will prompt that download has completed. Click Run to start scanning for PUP.Optional.4Squared. Another option is to browse the location folder and double click on the file to run.
4. The tool will display Welcome screen, click Next. Please note the message “This tool is not a replacement for an antivirus product.” You must understand that this program is made specifically to find and remove malware, viruses, Trojans, and other harmful elements on the computer. It was not designed to protect the computer.
5. Next, you will see Scan Type. Please choose Full Scan to ensure that all PUP.Optional.4Squared entities and other harmful files left on the computer will be found and removed. For advanced computer user, you can opt for Customized Scan, if there are other drives or folders you wanted to include in this scan.
6. Full scan may take a while, please wait for Malicious Software Removal Tool to complete the tasks. However, you may cancel the scan anytime by clicking on the Cancel button.
7. After scanning, the tool will reveal all identified threats. There may be other threats that our first scan fails to detect. Please remove/delete all detected items.
8. When removal procedure is complete, you may now close Malicious Software Removal Tool. We hope that PUP.Optional.4Squared have been completely deleted from the computer. Please restart Windows to proceed with the normal operation.
Post Last Modified On September 1, 2013