Protected-Browsing is classified as a potentially unwanted program (PUP) and at the same time, it is listed under the group of Adware. Computer security experts have their own reason why this browser extension was included in the said threat category. First, Protected-Browsing is a clone of several PUP that uses invasive tactics to infiltrate the computer and have it installed without the permission of user. In the majority of its infection cases, Protected-Browsing was said to be embedded to freeware or shareware that computer users frequently downloaded from their favorite file-sharing networks. Unknown to them, this simple acquisition of cost less program can be the way for Protected-Browsing to enter the computer discreetly.
By directly installing the downloaded application, computer users fail to take advantage of the more secured way of installing any program. We are talking of Custom or Advanced method where there is an opportunity to see all the included applications in the freeware. It is common for free software these days to have surplus apps with them and when the user directly run the setup via Default method, chances are, all the included applications in the package will be installed as well. Therefore, it you want to exclude PUP like Protected-Browsing, it is better to run the setup file using the Custom mode.
Protected-Browsing is an adware
As mentioned, this browser extension manifest the characteristics of an Adware. Frankly, Protected-Browsing is just a rendition of previous adware like Search-Magic and Search-Mode. All of these applications are endorsed as a useful browser extension that helps improves online browsing experience of the user. Hence, this group of unwanted tool struggled to live up to the said catchphrase. In fact, they are earning more bad comments than good. Users do not favor the installation of Protected-Browsing or any adware because they tend to flood the browser window with disturbing advertisements including pop-ups, redirects, and push notifications. Moreover, it takes over the search by appointing Protected-browsing.xyz as the new default and its completely disregard the preferences of the user.
Adware stands for ad-supported software and Protected-Browsing perfectly fits in this category. It was developed merely to generate online profit while disregarding the convenience and safety of online users. Keep in mind that adware from Protected-Browsing are frequently towards the promotion of rogue software or endorsement of distrustful online services. As such, we recommend immediate removal of Protected-Browsing.
Protected-Browsing Removal Procedure
Below is a systematic instruction that is very useful in getting rid of the potentially unwanted program (PUP) from compromised Windows computer. Aside from removing the malicious browser extension, this guide is also helpful in deleting browser hijacker and pop-ups.
In order to totally eliminate the threat, it is vital to follow the process in exact manner.
Quick Fix - Scan the PC with Combo Cleaner for Windows
Combo Cleaner is a trusted PC security and optimization tool equipped with powerful virus and malware detection engine. This program can get rid of browser hijacker like Protected-Browsing through this procedure.
1. Download the application from the following page:
2. Save the file to your preferred location.
3. Double-click the downloaded file CCSetup.exe and install with the default settings.
4. At the end of the setup process, click Finish to run Combo Cleaner.
5. The tool will update the signature file, please wait for this process to complete.
6. To begin checking for threats like Protected-Browsing, click on the Start Scan button. Wait for this scan to finish.
7. At the end of the scan process, click on Remove all threats to delete Protected-Browsing hijacker including all malicious objects from the computer.
Free features of Combo Cleaner for Windows includes Disk Cleaner, Big Files finder, Duplicate files finder, and Uninstaller. To use antivirus, privacy scanner, and to delete identified threats, users have to upgrade to a premium version.
Please continue with the succeeding removal procedures if your are comfortable to manually get rid of the threat and malicious items linked with it.
Step 1 : Delete Protected-Browsing Browser Extension
Most adware and unwanted programs are using a program called browser extension to be able to take over the settings of internet applications. Therefore, we highly recommend to check and remove the extension that is closely related to Protected-Browsing.
Remove Protected-Browsing Extension from Google Chrome
1. Open Google Chrome browser.
2. Type chrome://extensions/ in the address bar and press Enter on keyboard.
3. Find Protected-Browsing or relevant entry and remove it from Google Chrome browser.
Uninstall Protected-Browsing Extension from Mozilla Firefox
1. Open Mozilla Firefox browser.
2. Type about:addons in the address bar and press Enter on keyboard.
3. Choose Extensions on sidebar menu.
4. Look for object that is pertaining to Protected-Browsing and remove it from the browser.
After deleting the malicious browser extension, it is expected that Protected-Browsing is also gone from the homepage.
Remove Protected-Browsing Add-ons from Internet Explorer and Edge Browser
1. Open Internet Explorer program.
2. Go to top Menu and click Tools. Then, select Manage Add-ons from the drop-down list.
3. Look for and Remove or Disable entries of Protected-Browsing from Toolbars and Extension. Additionally, delete unwanted entry from Search Providers section.
4. Close the window and restart Internet Explorer.
If Protected-Browsing is still present on the IE browser and there are still unwanted homepage and pop-ups, another option is to remove the adware from Windows Control Panel.
5. Press Windows Key + R and then, type appwiz.cpl command.
6. Program and Features window will open. Arrange the list in chronological manner with recently installed applications on top. To do this, click on 'Installed On' column.
7. Select Protected-Browsing or recently installed unwanted entry. Then, click on Uninstall to remove it from Windows system.
Step 2 : Scan the computer with Sophos Antivirus
To remove Protected-Browsing automatically, scanning the computer with this powerful anti-virus tool is recommended. This scanner does not just uncover known threats like viruses or malware, it is also effective in discovering browser hijacker like Protected-Browsing that slows down online browsing activities.
1. Download Sophos Virus Removal Tool from the link below. Save the file on your computer where you can easily access it.
2. Once the download completes, browse the location of the file. Double-click to run the program and begin the install process.
3. On first windows of installation wizard, click Next to continue. Then, it will display the program’s License Agreement. You need to Accept the terms in order to proceed. If Windows prompts for User Account Control, please click Yes to proceed.
4. On succeeding windows, click Next or Continue to carry on with the installation. After completing the installation process, Launch Sophos Virus Removal Tool.
5. Internet connection is required when running this scanner in order to download important updates. Make sure that everything is up-to-date to effectively remove malicious program like Protected-Browsing.
6. Click the button to carry out the Scan. This will check the system for presence of malicious objects, malware, and viruses. The tool reveals items that were found linked to Protected-Browsing and other suspicious entities. Be sure to remove all identified threats.
The above procedures should have totally eliminated the Protected-Browsing browser hijacker. However, if you found that there are still remnants of the threat, please proceed to manual removal of associated objects as outlined below.
Step 3 : Scan and Delete Adware with AdwCleaner
In addition to the procedure, we suggest scanning the computer with AdwCleaner tool. Possibly, there are some traces of Protected-Browsing on the browser that was not deleted during the preceding steps. This tool will scan the computer and check for presence of malicious applications as well as invalid browser entries that produces hijacking, redirects, and pop-ups.
1. Follow the link below to download the tool called AdwCleaner.
2. When the download has completed, please close all running programs on the computer especially browsers affected by Protected-Browsing.
3. Browse the location of the downloaded file and double-click on adwcleaner_Ver.exe to start running the tool. Then, click on Scan button.
4. AdwCleaner searches the computer for malicious programs, extensions, plug-ins, adware, and any items that may be associated to Protected-Browsing. It will also check for suspicious entries on browser settings that is associated with the hijacker.
5. Clean or Remove all suspicious and harmful items identified after the thorough scan.
6. After the cleanup procedure, rebooting the computer is required to finalize the removal of detected threats.
Check if your internet browser application is no longer being bothered by Protected-Browsing. If the browser hijacker still persists, please continue with the steps below to reset internet programs to default settings.
Optional : Reset Internet Browser Program
Cleaning your internet browser from clutter and unwanted add-on/extension is a must when dealing with Protected-Browsing. The procedure below discuss on resetting various browsers to its default state.
Restore Google Chrome to Default Settings
Resetting Google Chrome to default settings is helpful in deleting hard-to-remove extension such as from Protected-Browsing. This method is highly advisable to perform if you have difficulty in removing unwanted extension.
1. Open Google Chrome Internet browser.
2. On the address bar, type chrome://settings/reset and press Enter key.
3. Under Reset and clean up section, choose Restore settings to their original defaults.
4. Click Reset settings button to clear all entries of Protected-Browsing.
5. Close the existing tab and restart Google Chrome. That should have removed Protected-Browsing extension and associated objects.
Reset Mozilla Firefox to Default
This section describes how to remove unwanted extension from Firefox that may be related to Protected-Browsing. This process can fix many browser issues by restoring Firefox to factory settings without affecting your essential information (bookmarks, browsing history, passwords, and Internet cookies) on the browser. If you desire to remove only specific extension, please see manual removal of add-on from Firefox.
1. Input the string about:support on Firefox web address and press Enter on keyboard.
2. You will now see the Troubleshooting Information page of Mozilla Firefox.
3. You will notice a section on upper-right corner of the screen stating Give Firefox a tune up. Click the Refresh Firefox button.
4. If confirmation window appears, click Refresh Firefox to continue.
5. Firefox browser will close and start the resetting process. When done, it will display a list of restored data. Protected-Browsing should be gone by now. Click Finish to open a fresh version of Firefox.
Restore Internet Explorer to Default Settings
1. Open Internet Explorer and navigate to top menu. Click Tools, and then Internet Options.
2. Select Advanced tab on Internet Options window.
3. On lower part of the window, under Reset Internet Explorer Settings area, click the Reset button. Please see image for reference. Your data like favorites, bookmark, and history will remain in the browser. However, this process may delete add-ons by Protected-Browsing and other unknown objects. If you prefer to carry out the procedure manually, please add-on removal from Internet Explorer.