It is very unusual for normal internet program to display excessive pop-up ads especially if the contents are for the promotion of unwanted programs or services. Thus, if these kind of persistent advertisements start to show up on the computer screen, particularly browser programs, it might be a sign of adware infection. One adware that can perform such intrusive marketing method on Mac computers is named ProcessBrand.
Makers of this unwanted browser extension claims that its development was focused on giving Mac users a better online browsing experience. In fact, the name suggests that it is indeed a vital enhancement add-on for internet software. Hence, what user may experience after installing ProcessBrand app is quite the opposite. There are reports that ProcessBrand is the basis for several issues on the browser application as it causes freezes and crashes.
ProcessBrand Spread Tactics
People who created ProcessBrand has several methods in deploying the program and it can reach target Mac computers randomly. The most preferential and probably gives attackers the uppermost rate when it comes to infection percentage is by utilizing application installers. They join ProcessBrand app with other freeware that Mac users often downloads like productivity apps, games, utilities, internet enhancements, media player and so on. Once Mac user downloads and run the setup file, installation of ProcessBrand initiates in the background and start attacking default browser program.
Misleading online advertisements are also a serving factor for the easy deployment of ProcessBrand app. On this deceitful tactics, attackers are publishing ads that pose as system warnings prompting web users to download crucial software update. Once Mac users initiates the setup, ProcessBrand will be installed instead of a program update and unfortunately, removal of the unwanted application do not come easy.
Risks of ProcessBrand
Similar to other adware, ProcessBrand was designed to display different versions of advertisements on infected browser program. Pop-ups, redirects, banners, and push notifications will continue to bombard the screen as long as ProcessBrand is active on Mac computer. The redirects causes by the adware also lead to additional contamination particularly relevant malware such as ExpandedTask, CacheImprovment, and PreferenceFind. To support the objective of authors to generate more profit, ProcessBrand was designed to collect several browsing information that would be useful to display personalized advertisements and targeted promotional campaign.
While people behind ProcessBrand are gaining revenue over its illicit activities, Mac user’s online privacy and safety are being threatened and abused. Therefore, Mac security enthusiast advises the immediate removal of ProcessBrand to restore safety and privacy on internet software.
Procedures to Remove ProcessBrand from Mac
This area contains comprehensive procedures to help you remove adware and potentially unwanted program from the computer.
Guide on this page are written in a manner that can be easily understand and execute by Mac users.
Quick Fix - Scan the Mac Computer with Combo Cleaner
Combo Cleaner is a trusted Mac utility application with complete antivirus and optimization features. It is useful in dealing with adware, malware, and PUP's. Moreover, it can get rid of adware like ProcessBrand. You may need to purchase full version if you require to maximize its premium features.
1. Download the tool from the following page:
2. Double-click the downloaded file and proceed with the installation.
3. In the opened window, drag and drop the Combo Cleaner icon onto your Applications folder icon.
4. Open your Launchpad and click on the Combo Cleaner icon.
5. Wait until antivirus downloads its latest virus definition updates and click on "Start Combo Scan" to start removing ProcessBrand.
6. Free features of Combo Cleaner include Disk Cleaner, Big Files finder, Duplicate files finder, and Uninstaller. To use antivirus and privacy scanner, users have to upgrade to a premium version.
Proceed with the rest of the removal steps if you are comfortable in manually removing malicious objects associated with the threat.
Step 1 : Delete ProcessBrand from Mac Applications
1. Go to Finder.
2. On the menu, click Go and then, select Applications from the list to open Applications Folder.
3. Find ProcessBrand or any unwanted program or suspicious item. It could be in disguise as a different file.
4. Drag ProcessBrand to Trash Bin to delete the application from Mac.
5. Right-click on Trash icon and click on Empty Trash.
Step 2 : Remove Browser Extensions that belongs to ProcessBrand
1. Locate the add-on or extension that is relevant to the adware. To do this, please follow the following depending on affected browser.
Safari - Choose Preferences from the Safari menu, then click the Extensions icon. This will open a window showing all installed extensions.
Chrome - Select Preferences from the Chrome menu, and then click the Extensions link found on the left pane.
Firefox - Choose Add-ons from the Menu. Look at both the Extensions and Plug-ins lists when it opens a new window.
2. Once you have located ProcessBrand, click on Remove or Uninstall, to get rid of it.
3. Close the browser and proceed to the next steps.
Step 3 : Delete Malicious Files that have installed ProcessBrand
1. Select and copy the string below to your Clipboard by pressing Command + C on your keyboard.
2. Go to your Finder. From the menu bar please select Go > Go to Folder...
3. Press Command + V on your keyboard to paste the copied string. Press Return to go to the said folder.
4. You will now see a folder named LaunchAgents. Take note of the following files inside the folder:
The term unknown is just a representation of the actual malware name. Attackers may masks the actual name with following:
- Process Brand Daemon
If you cannot find the specified file, please look for any unfamiliar or suspicious entries. It may be the one causing ProcessBrand to be present on your Mac. Arranging all items to see the most latest ones may also help you identify recently installed unfamiliar files. Please press Option + Command + 4 on your keyboard to arrange the application list in chronological order.
Important: Take note of all the suspicious files as you may also delete the same item on another folder as we go on.
5. Drag all suspicious files that you may find to Trash.
6. Please restart the computer.
7. Open another folder using the same method as above. Copy and Paste the following string to easily locate the folder.
8. Look for any suspicious items that are similar to the ones in Step 4. Drag them to the Trash.
9. Repeat the process on the following non-hidden folders (without ~):
10. Lastly, go to your Finder and open the Applications Folder. Look for subfolders with the following names and drag them to Trash.
- Process Brand Daemon
Optional : For locked files that cannot be removed, do the following:
1. Go to Launchpad, Utilities folder, open Activity Monitor.
2. Select the process you want to quit.
3. Click on Force Quit button.
4. You may now delete or remove locked files that belongs to ProcessBrand adware.
Step 4 : Double-check with MBAM Tool for Mac
1. Download Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac from this link:
2. Run Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac. It will check for updates and download if most recent version is available. This is necessary in finding recent malware threats including ProcessBrand.
3. If it prompts to close all running web browser, please do so. Thus, we advise you to PRINT this guide for your reference before going offline.
4. Once it opens the user interface, please click on Scan button to start scanning your Mac computer.
5. After the scan, Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac will display a list of identified threats, ProcessBrand is surely part of it. Be sure to select all items in the list. Then, click Remove button to clean the computer.
Step 5 : Remove ProcessBrand from Homepage and Search
- Open your Safari browser.
- Go to Safari Menu located on upper left hand corner, and then select Preferences.
- Under General tab, navigate to Default Search Engine section and select Google or any valid search engine.
- Next, be sure that "New Windows Open With" field is set to Homepage.
- Lastly, remove ProcessBrand from the Homepage field. Replace it with your preferred URL to be set as your default homepage.
- Open Chrome browser.
- Type the following on the address bar and press Enter on keyboard : chrome://settings/
- Look for 'On Startup' area.
- Select 'Open a specific page or set of pages'.
- Click on More Actions and select Edit.
- Enter the desired web address as your home page, replacing ProcessBrand. Click Save.
- To set default search engine, go to Search Engine area.
- Click on 'Manage search engines...' button.
- Go to questionable Search Engine. Click on More Actions and Click 'Remove from list'.
- Go back to Search Engine area and choose valid entry from Search engine used in the address bar.
- Run Mozilla Firefox browser.
- Type the following on the address bar and hit Enter on keyboard : about:preferences
- On Startup area, select 'Show your home page' under 'When Firefox starts' field.
- Under Home Page field, type the desired URL to replace ProcessBrand settings.
- To configure default search engine, select Search on left sidebar to display settings.
- Under Default Search Engine list, please select one.
- On the same page, you have an option to Remove unwanted search engine.
Optional : If unable to change browser settings, execute these steps:
Some user complains that there is no way to change browser settings because it is grayed out by ProcessBrand. In such situation, it is important to check if there is unwanted profile. Please do the following:
1. Quit any running applications and launch System Preferences from your Dock.
2. Under System Preferences, click Profiles.
3. Select ProcessBrand or any relevant profile from the left pane. See image below.
4. At the bottom of this window, click minus [-] button to delete the account. Please refer to image above.
5. Close the Profiles window and open the affected browser to change all settings associated with ProcessBrand.