Privatetab.org or Private Tab is a browser hijacking application that claims to be a legitimate and useful program. However, Private Tab is a Potentially Unwanted Program (PUP) that overrides homepage settings. Once it infiltrates into computers, it gathers information about browsing habits and personal details of online users. As Privatetab.org is a PUP, it penetrates to computers without the authorization of web users. Privatetab.org mostly targets popular web browsers such as Google Chrome, Safari, and Mozilla Firefox.
Intrusion of Privatetab.org into computers ought to modify browser settings. Privatetab.org inputs its malicious web URL, applicable to homepage, new tab window, and search engine. After successful alterations, it is not easy to revert. The new setting will cause misbehaviors into the usual functions of web browser. Infection of Privatetab.org into the operating system will diminish browsing experience of online users as well as the performance of the computer. Search queries entered on browsers will automatically provided by Privatetab.org associated address. The search results are usually not distinct and meaningless.
Privatetab.org also expedites advertisements and pop-ups that might run persistently on screen. Ads generated by Privatetab.org promotes fake downloads and updates or can automatically install unwanted applications. Pop-ups might cause redirection into vicious sites depicting unpleasant and offensive contents. Clicking anything that appears on screen is not advisable.
Furthermore, Privatetab.org executes to obtain browsing details of web users. Such data includes viewed web pages, search queries, IP address, geo-location, clicked ads, visited website, and other related information. What more is, Privatetab.org can also record real-life data of internet users, it may include credit card and bank account details, passwords, contact numbers, full name, complete address, and other private details. All of this information can reach to cyber criminals who generate revenue by misusing it to crime purposes.
Installation of Privatetab.org into computers is possible through software bundles from the internet. There are download sites that offers program packages free of charge. These freeware might consist of PUP or adware wishing to enter computer to spread infections into internet software. Therefore, be cautious on downloading and installing unfamiliar applications, sometimes it associates optional and extra features as part of the installation.
Privatetab.org Removal Procedure
Below is a systematic instruction that is very useful in getting rid of the potentially unwanted program (PUP) from compromised computer.
In order to totally eliminate the threat, it is vital to follow the process in exact manner.
Stage 1: Delete Browser Extension
Most adware and unwanted programs are using a program called browser extension to be able to take over the settings of internet applications. Therefore, we highly recommend to check and remove the extension that is closely related to Privatetab.org.
Remove Privatetab.org Extension from Google Chrome
1. Open Google Chrome browser.
2. Type chrome://extensions/ in the address bar and press Enter on keyboard.
3. Find Private Tab or relevant entry and remove it from Google Chrome.
Uninstall Privatetab.org Extension from Firefox
1. Open Mozilla Firefox browser.
2. Type about:addons in the address bar and press Enter on keyboard.
3. Choose Extensions on sidebar menu.
4. Look for object that is pertaining to Private Tab and remove it from the browser.
Remove Privatetab.org Add-ons from Internet Explorer
1. Open Internet Explorer program.
2. Go to top Menu and click Tools. Then, select Manage Add-ons from the drop-down list.
3. Look for and Remove or Disable entries of Privatetab.org from Toolbars and Extension and Search Providers section.
4. Close the window and restart Internet Explorer.
If Privatetab.org is still present on the IE browser, another option is to remove the adware from Windows Control Panel.
5. Press Windows Key + R and then, type appwiz.cpl command.
6. Program and Features window will open. Arrange the list in chronological manner with recently installed applications on top. To do this, click on ‘Installed On‘ column.
7. Select Private Tab or recently installed unwanted entry. Then, click on Uninstall to remove it from Windows system.
Stage 2: Scan and Delete Adware with AdwCleaner
In addition to the procedure, we suggest scanning the computer with AdwCleaner tool. Possibly, there are some traces of Privatetab.org on the browser that was not deleted during the preceding steps. This tool will scan the computer and check for presence of malicious applications.
1. Follow the link below to download the tool called AdwCleaner.
Click here to download AdwCleaner (this will open a new window)
2. When the download has completed, please close all running programs on the computer especially browsers affected by Privatetab.org.
3. Browse the location of the downloaded file and double-click on adwcleaner_Ver.exe to start running the tool. Then, click on Scan button.
4. AdwCleaner searches the computer for malicious programs, extensions, plug-ins, adware, and any items that may be associated to Privatetab.org.
5. Clean or Remove all suspicious and harmful items identified after the thorough scan.
6. After the cleanup procedure, rebooting the computer is required to finalize the removal of detected threats.
Stage 3: Scan the Computer with Sophos Virus Removal Tool
Lastly, we will scan the computer with a multi-function security program. This will inspect the computer for possible presence of virus, malware, rootkit, adware as well as unwanted homepage like Privatetab.org.
1. Download Sophos Virus Removal Tool from the link below. Save the file on your computer where you can easily access it.
Sophos Virus Removal Tool Download Link (this will open a new window)
2. Once the download completes, browse the location of the file. Double-click to run the program and begin the install process. If Windows prompts for User Account Control, please click Yes to proceed.
3. On first windows of installation wizard, click Next to continue. Then, it will display the program’s License Agreement. You need to Accept the terms in order to proceed.
4. On succeeding windows, click Next or Continue to carry on with the installation. After completing the installation process, Launch Sophos Virus Removal Tool.
5. Internet connection is required when running this scanner in order to download important updates. Make sure that everything is up-to-date to effectively remove malicious program like Privatetab.org.
6. Click the button to carry out the Scan. This will check the system for presence of malicious objects, malware, and viruses. The tool reveals items that were found linked to Privatetab.org and other suspicious entities. Be sure to remove all identified threats.
Option: Alternative Method to Clean Up Internet Browser from Privatetab.org
Not all adware and PUP’s are the same. Some cannot be removed by deleting relevant extensions and codes. On this instances, resetting the browser to default configuration is the only best solution. If Privatetab.org is still bothering you after completing all the steps above, please execute the procedures below to reset the settings of affected browser program.
Use Chrome Clean Up Tool to Delete Privatetab.org
1. Open Google Chrome application.
2. Type this strings in the address box: chrome://settings/ and then, press Enter on keyboard.
3. Scroll down and expand Advanced settings area.
4. Scroll to the bottom of the page until you see Reset and Cleanup section.
5. Click on Clean Up Computer. On next page, please click FIND to proceed.
This feature of Google Chrome aims to find harmful software and remove it instantly. If unable to delete Privatetab.org, the other option is to Reset Google Chrome settings to its original defaults. Just go back to previous page (Clean Up Computer) and reset the settings. See more details on this page.
Reset Mozilla Firefox to Default
If Mozilla Firefox is affected by Privatetab.org and procedures above were not helpful, we suggest that you carry out these steps. This process can fix the issue by restoring Firefox browser to default factory state. Most browser data will be affected but not bookmarks, browsing history, passwords, and internet cookies. Extensions and other installed plug-ins maybe deleted by this function. Therefore, if you wish to remove specific extension only, please see manual add-on removal from this link.
1. Open Mozilla Firefox browser and type the following in the address bar: about:support
2. Browser will be directed to a page of Troubleshooting Information. You will notice a section on upper-right corner of the screen stating ‘Give Firefox a Tune Up‘. Click the Refresh Firefox button.
3. Confirmation window will pop-up, click Refresh Firefox to continue.
4. The reset process will automatically close the browser and proceed with the restoration. Next, it will display a list of restored data. Privatetab.org should be gone by now. Click Finish to close the current window and open a fresh window of Mozilla Firefox.
Reset Safari Browser to Normal Settings
1. Open Safari browser.
2. Click on the Safari Settings icon located on upper right corner of the browser window.
3. Select Reset Safari from the drop-down list.
4. Pop-up window will appear. You may select all boxes for total reset or follow the options below if you only want to remove Privatetab.org from Safari browser.
5. Please restart Safari browser for changes to take effect.