Private Search Plus is a Google Chrome extension that claims to give users online privacy when searching the web. It is also endorsed as a tool that enhances online search experience by providing accurate results. Looking at Private Search Plus alone will never bring suspicion to computer users because of its neat interface. However, users must know that this browser tool is part of adware family that produces quite a number of the same program.
Adding to its malicious behavior is how it is spread over the internet. Private Search Plus is normally packed to dubious freeware and shareware. To attract web users, it is bundled to free games, file downloader, media player, media converter, and various software updates. Users are not notified that installing such freeware also loads Private Search Plus onto Google Chrome browser. Therefore, many are astound on the sudden existence of this extension. Some people even deemed this unexpected outcome as some type of virus infection.
Technically, Private Search Plus is not classified as computer virus. Security experts placed it under potentially unwanted program (PUP) category. Threats on this group are less hazardous and it never inflicts changes on operating system. In particular, goal of Private Search Plus is to generate profit by displaying paid links and advertisements on search result of its customized pages.
In order to remove Private Search Plus, we made a simple yet effective guide on this page. Be sure to scan the system with suggested anti-malware and anti-virus applications to find and remove malicious objects associated with Private Search Plus.
How to Remove Private Search Plus
This section contains comprehensive guide to help you remove threats from the affected computer.
Procedures on this page are written in a manner that can be easily understand and execute by computer users.
Step 1 : Use Add/Remove program of Windows to Uninstall Private Search Plus
The main cause of homepage hijacking and browser redirect could be software that you may have installed on the computer. We need to uninstall the culprit program.
1. Click Windows Start button. Next, select Control Panel from the list. Alternatively, press Windows key + R on keyboard and run appwiz.cpl command.
2. Find the ‘Programs‘ area and click on Uninstall a program. This opens up a window showing existing software installed.
3. Look for and remove Private Search Plus entry. If not present, look for any suspicious labels that was installed recently.
4. Click on Uninstall to start removing the program.
Step 2 : Remove Private Search Plus from Google Chrome
Option 1 – Delete Malicious Extension from Chrome Browser
One way to remove Private Search Plus from Google Chrome is simply to delete the Extension. Please follow these steps:
1. Open Google Chrome browser.
2. Type the following in the address bar: chrome://extensions
3. On Extensions window, please delete Private Search Plus by clicking on Trash icon.
4. Google Chrome will prompt for the confirmation of Private Search Plus removal. Please click on Remove button to proceed.
5. You may now restart Chrome browser.
Option 2 – Restore Google Chrome to Default Settings
Resetting Google Chrome to default settings is helpful in deleting hard-to-remove extension such as from Private Search Plus. This method is highly advisable to perform if you have difficulty in removing unwanted extension.
1. Open Google Chrome application.
2. In the address bar please type the this string: chrome://settings/ and then, press Enter on keyboard.
3. Scroll down, then click Advanced…
4. Scroll to the bottom of the page until you see Reset and Clean Up section.
5. Click on Restore settings to their original defaults button. If it prompts for confirmation, please click Reset Settings to proceed.
This function will reset your home page, new tab page, search engine, and other areas affected by Private Search Plus. Unwanted extensions will also be removed from the browser. This will not affect your bookmarks, history, and other saved data.
Step 3 : Scan and Delete Adware with AdwCleaner
1. Download the tool called AdwCleaner from the location stated below.
Click here to download AdwCleaner (this will open a new window)
2. Once you have completed the download, please close all running programs on the computer.
3. Locate the file and double-click on adwcleaner_Ver.exe to start running the tool. Then, click on Scan button.
4. It searches for presence of harmful programs, plug-ins, add-ons, or any data that were found malicious and linked to Private Search Plus. You need to Clean all items detected by this tool.
5. Once scan is done, the tool may need to reboot your computer to finalize the cleaning process.
6. After reboot, AdwCleaner will display the log file of the recent scan.
Step 4 : Remove Adware Add-on and Cleanup the Browser
After the previous scans, you may have deleted Private Search Plus from the affected browser. This next step will ensure that no more module of adware will be left on the browser. This free tool scans and checks the browser for unwanted add-on and extension, and if found, Avast Browser Cleanup will give you a report and suggestion.
1. Download this free tool and save it to your desktop.
Avast Browser Cleanup Download Link (This will open in a new window)
2. Please install the program. Start the process by double-clicking on the executable file avast-browser-cleanup-sfx.exe.
3. When run, Avast Browser Cleanup performs a test on the browser. If unwanted entries were found, it will display a button ‘Remove all add-ons listed below and cleanup browser.’ You may remove all or delete one entry at a time.
4. Avast Browser Cleanup will confirm before it permanently deletes the add-on. Please click Yes to proceed with the removal of Private Search Plus on the affected browser.