Google Chrome extension named Private Browsing is another questionable privacy tool. It claims to make online searching much safer and more private by blocking anything that monitors user’s web activities. Private Browsing could be a promising tool if not only for its previous records and suspicious behavior. It is worth mentioning that Private Browsing is part of adware family that also produces similar programs like Private Search Plus, Browsing Privately, and many others. All of them caused some annoyances on the browser.
By using intrusive techniques, Private Browsing can get inside the computer without user’s full knowledge. In fact, its discrete installation is run alongside downloaded freeware or third-party applications. Private Browsing spreads over the internet through software bundles. It may be part of free tools, games, file downloader, media converter, and so on.
After successful installation, Private Browsing immediately alters browsers configuration and set Private Browsing on the homepage of Google Chrome. There are also some modifications on search tool because this adware intend to force victims to use server of Private Browsing that redirects search outcome to Yahoo.
Obviously, Private Browsing brings more annoyances than benefits to end-users. Therefore, we highly suggest removing it from the computer as soon as possible. Below is a simple guide to get rid of this threat without spending a single penny. Follow the steps in exact order to ensure complete removal of Private Browsing including all relevant adware.
How to Remove Private Browsing
This section contains comprehensive guide to help you remove threats from the affected computer.
Procedures on this page are written in a manner that can be easily understand and execute by computer users.
Step 1 : Use Add/Remove program of Windows to Uninstall Private Browsing
The main cause of homepage hijacking and browser redirect could be software that you may have installed on the computer. We need to uninstall the culprit program.
1. Click Windows Start button. Next, select Control Panel from the list. Alternatively, press Windows key + R on keyboard and run appwiz.cpl command.
2. Find the ‘Programs‘ area and click on Uninstall a program. This opens up a window showing existing software installed.
3. Look for and remove Private Browsing entry. If not present, look for any suspicious labels that was installed recently.
4. Click on Uninstall to start removing the program.
Step 2 : Remove Private Browsing from Google Chrome
Option 1 – Delete Malicious Extension from Chrome Browser
One way to remove Private Browsing from Google Chrome is simply to delete the Extension. Please follow these steps:
1. Open Google Chrome browser.
2. Type the following in the address bar: chrome://extensions
3. On Extensions window, please delete Private Browsing by clicking on Remove or Trash icon.
4. Google Chrome will prompt for the confirmation of Private Browsing removal. Please click on Remove button to proceed.
5. You may now restart Chrome browser.
Option 2 – Restore Google Chrome to Default Settings
Resetting Google Chrome to default settings is helpful in deleting hard-to-remove extension such as from Private Browsing. This method is highly advisable to perform if you have difficulty in removing unwanted extension.
1. Open Google Chrome application.
2. In the address bar please type the this string: chrome://settings/ and then, press Enter on keyboard.
3. Scroll down, then click Advanced…
4. Scroll to the bottom of the page until you see Reset and Clean Up section.
5. Click on Restore settings to their original defaults button. If it prompts for confirmation, please click Reset Settings to proceed.
This function will reset your home page, new tab page, search engine, and other areas affected by Private Browsing. Unwanted extensions will also be removed from the browser. This will not affect your bookmarks, history, and other saved data.
Step 3 : Scan and Delete Adware with AdwCleaner
1. Download the tool called AdwCleaner from the location stated below.
Click here to download AdwCleaner (this will open a new window)
2. Once you have completed the download, please close all running programs on the computer.
3. Locate the file and double-click on adwcleaner_Ver.exe to start running the tool. Then, click on Scan button.
4. It searches for presence of harmful programs, plug-ins, add-ons, or any data that were found malicious and linked to Private Browsing. You need to Clean all items detected by this tool.
5. Once scan is done, the tool may need to reboot your computer to finalize the cleaning process.
6. After reboot, AdwCleaner will display the log file of the recent scan.
Step 4 : Remove Adware Add-on and Cleanup the Browser
After the previous scans, you may have deleted Private Browsing from the affected browser. This next step will ensure that no more module of adware will be left on the browser. This free tool scans and checks the browser for unwanted add-on and extension, and if found, Avast Browser Cleanup will give you a report and suggestion.
1. Download this free tool and save it to your desktop.
Avast Browser Cleanup Download Link (This will open in a new window)
2. Please install the program. Start the process by double-clicking on the executable file avast-browser-cleanup-sfx.exe.
3. When run, Avast Browser Cleanup performs a test on the browser. If unwanted entries were found, it will display a button ‘Remove all add-ons listed below and cleanup browser.’ You may remove all or delete one entry at a time.
4. Avast Browser Cleanup will confirm before it permanently deletes the add-on. Please click Yes to proceed with the removal of Private Browsing on the affected browser.