PrivacyProtection is an extension made specifically for Google Chrome browser. Its official web store page states that it helps user to search the web more privately. PrivacyProtection claims to block any tracking programs that logs search history and personal information. The program is also endorsed as a tool that enhances online search experience of users, which provides quick and easy search results.
Most web users are unaware that PrivacyProtection is part of adware family that also made Media Search Plugin, MovieZone Now , and many more intrusive Chrome extension. All of these programs normally infiltrate the computer without user’s knowledge. They are packed to various third-party applications that disguises as free utilities, games, media player, download manager, or fake Adobe update. Throughout the installation process of the freeware, PrivacyProtection loads as well. However, installation of this surplus program is discrete.
When fully installed, PrivacyProtection overrides Chrome settings and attach a feature on homepage as shown in the image below. Unfortunately, most users are intimidated by its sudden existence. In fact, some deemed that PrivacyProtection is a virus that infiltrated the system and targeting their internet application.
Though adware such as this is very intrusive, computer security experts only classify it as member of potentially unwanted program (PUP) family. This threat is not as hazardous as computer viruses because it never imperils operating system in general. In particular, PrivacyProtection was made to dominate the homepage, new tab, and search tool of Google Chrome. The objective is to generate profit through its advertising scheme, which are very evident on search result pages and redirect activities.
We discourage the use of PrivacyProtection due to the mentioned unusual behavior of this program. Instead, utilize safe and productive search tool as Google, Bing, or Yahoo. To remove this threat from the computer, please proceed with the instructions on this page.
How to Remove PrivacyProtection
This section contains comprehensive guide to help you remove threats from the affected computer.
Procedures on this page are written in a manner that can be easily understand and execute by computer users.
Step 1 : Remove PrivacyProtection from Google Chrome
We are presenting various options to remove PrivacyProtection from Google Chrome browser using only internal functions and approach. Most of browser annoyances can be fixed via these processes. If PrivacyProtection persists after executing these steps, it is better to run anti-malware scan as suggested below.
Option 1 – Delete Malicious Extension from Chrome Browser
One way to remove PrivacyProtection from Google Chrome is simply to delete the Extension. Please follow these steps:
1. Open Google Chrome browser.
2. Type the following in the address bar: chrome://extensions
3. On Extensions window, please delete PrivacyProtection by clicking on Remove or Trash icon.
4. Google Chrome will prompt for the confirmation of PrivacyProtection removal. Please click on Remove button to proceed.
5. You may now restart Chrome browser.
Option 2 – Restore Google Chrome to Default Settings
Resetting Google Chrome to default settings is helpful in deleting hard-to-remove extension such as from PrivacyProtection. This method is highly advisable to perform if you have difficulty in removing unwanted extension.
1. Open Google Chrome application.
2. In the address bar, please type the this string: chrome://settings/ and then, press Enter on keyboard.
3. Scroll down, then click Advanced…
4. Scroll to the bottom of the page until you see Reset and Clean Up section.
5. Click on Restore settings to their original defaults button. If it prompts for confirmation, please click Reset Settings to proceed.
This function will reset your home page, new tab page, search engine, and other areas affected by PrivacyProtection. Unwanted extensions will also be removed from the browser. This will not affect your bookmarks, history, and other saved data.
Option 3 – Use Google Chrome Clean Up Feature
1. On Google Chrome address bar, input this string: chrome://settings/cleanup and then press Enter on keyboard.
2. Click Find button to start scanning the computer.
Step 2 : Use Add/Remove program of Windows to Uninstall PrivacyProtection
The main cause of homepage hijacking and browser redirect could be software that you may have installed on the computer. We need to uninstall the culprit program.
1. Click Windows Start button. Next, select Control Panel from the list. Alternatively, press Windows key + R on keyboard and run appwiz.cpl command.
2. Find the ‘Programs‘ area and click on Uninstall a program. This opens up a window showing existing software installed.
3. Look for and remove PrivacyProtection entry. If not present, look for any suspicious labels that was installed recently.
4. Click on Uninstall to start removing the program.
Step 3 : Scan the computer with MBAM Tool
1. Download the free anti-malware scanner called MalwareBytes Anti-Malware.
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Download Link (this will open a new window)
2. After downloading, install the program. It may run automatically or you have to double-click on the downloaded file mb3-setup-consumer-x.x.x.xxxx.exe.
3. Proceed with the installation using only the default setup. If you need the complete setup procedure, it is available on the download page.
4. At the last stage of installation process, click Finish to run the program.
5. On Malwarebytes Anti-Malware console, select Scan from the menu to see available Scan Method.
6. Next, click on Threat Scan. This is the most comprehensive scan method that will surely find any hidden items linked to PrivacyProtection.
7. Click Start Scan button to begin checking the computer.
8. When scanning is done, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware will display the list of identified threats. Remove all identified threats including PrivacyProtection and restart the computer to finalized the scan process.
Step 4 : Scan and Delete Adware with AdwCleaner
1. Download the tool called AdwCleaner from the location stated below.
Click here to download AdwCleaner (this will open a new window)
2. Once you have completed the download, please close all running programs on the computer.
3. Locate the file and double-click on adwcleaner_Ver.exe to start running the tool. Then, click on Scan button.
4. It searches for presence of harmful programs, plug-ins, add-ons, or any data that were found malicious and linked to PrivacyProtection. You need to Clean all items detected by this tool.
5. Once scan is done, the tool may need to reboot your computer to finalize the cleaning process.
6. After reboot, AdwCleaner will display the log file of the recent scan.