Price Fountain is dubbed as an adware that arrives on the computer packed to another program. It is normally bundled to freeware or trialware that user may acquire from several web sites. When Price Fountain code is installed, it will issue various ads, coupons and savings. This is also the main reason why the program was categorized as adware.
Price Fountain is installed on the computer as browser add-on or extension. It can partially take control of the browser by changing some settings. Some versions of this adware intend to override existing home page in order to promote more advertisements. Modifications carried out by the adware are usually without user’s approval. Thus, some people deemed Price Fountain as some kind of virus or malware.
The effects of this adware on the browser are very obvious, pop-up ads, coupons, and other online offers will appear once you start surfing the web. However, Price Fountain is most likely to show its influence on online shopping web sites.
As mentioned, Price Fountain is not a virus in technical aspects. Although, we still do not recommend having this program on your computer. Even though it is not damaging to your files, this program can do other things that is risky to your privacy. Price Fountain can monitor your web browsing habit and record vital data. Adware authors are keeping such information to serve relevant ads that intends to catch your attention.
Signs and symptoms
Although web user may never see signs during the penetration, installed security applications like anti-virus and anti-malware may issue an alert about this Price Fountain. Detection such as BrowserModifier:Win32/Prifou or PUP.Optional.PriceFountain.A may pop-up as soon as security software detected this unusual browser extension. In addition, changes made by Price Fountain on homepage and search could lead to suspicion of users that browser is infected with an adware.
Price Fountain Removal Procedure
Below is a systematic instruction that is very useful in getting rid of the potentially unwanted program (PUP) from compromised Windows computer. Aside from removing the malicious browser extension, this guide is also helpful in deleting hijacker and pop-ups.
In order to totally eliminate the threat, it is vital to follow the process in exact manner.
Step 1 : Delete Price Fountain Browser Extension
Most adware and unwanted programs are using a program called browser extension to be able to take over the settings of internet applications. Therefore, we highly recommend to check and remove the extension that is closely related to Price Fountain.
Remove Price Fountain Extension from Google Chrome
1. Open Google Chrome browser.
2. Type chrome://extensions/ in the address bar and press Enter on keyboard.
3. Find Price Fountain or relevant entry and remove it from Google Chrome browser.
Uninstall Price Fountain Extension from Mozilla Firefox
1. Open Mozilla Firefox browser.
2. Type about:addons in the address bar and press Enter on keyboard.
3. Choose Extensions on sidebar menu.
4. Look for object that is pertaining to Price Fountain and remove it from the browser.
After deleting the malicious browser extension, it is expected that is also gone from the homepage.
Remove Price Fountain Add-ons from Internet Explorer and Edge Browser
1. Open Internet Explorer program.
2. Go to top Menu and click Tools. Then, select Manage Add-ons from the drop-down list.
3. Look for and Remove or Disable entries of Price Fountain from Toolbars and Extension. Additionally, delete from Search Providers section.
4. Close the window and restart Internet Explorer.
If Price Fountain is still present on the IE browser and there are still homepage and pop-ups originating from , another option is to remove the adware from Windows Control Panel.
5. Press Windows Key + R and then, type appwiz.cpl command.
6. Program and Features window will open. Arrange the list in chronological manner with recently installed applications on top. To do this, click on 'Installed On' column.
7. Select Price Fountain or recently installed unwanted entry. Then, click on Uninstall to remove it from Windows system.
Step 2 : Scan the computer with Anti-malware Program
To remove Price Fountain automatically, scanning the computer with this powerful anti-malware tool is recommended. This scanner does not just uncover known threats like viruses or malware, it is also effective in discovering browser hijacker like Price Fountain that assigns as the homepage URL.
1. Download the free anti-malware scanner called MalwareBytes Anti-Malware.
2. After downloading, install the program. It may run automatically or you have to double-click on the downloaded file MBSetup.exe.
3. Proceed with the installation using only the default setup. If you need the complete setup procedure, it is available on the download page.
4. After the installation process, click Get Started to run the program.
5. Continue with the prompts until the main program opens.
6. On Malwarebytes Anti-malware console, click on Scan to run the most comprehensive detection method and find any hidden items linked to Price Fountain.
7. Wait for the anti-malware to finish scanning the computer.
8. When scanning is done, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware will display the list of identified threats. Remove all identified threats including Price Fountain and restart the computer to finalized the scan process.
The above procedures should have totally eliminated the Price Fountain browser hijacker. However, if you found that there are still remnants of the threat and still exists on internet application, please proceed to manual removal of associated objects as outlined below.
Step 3 : Scan and Delete Adware with AdwCleaner
In addition to the procedure, we suggest scanning the computer with AdwCleaner tool. Possibly, there are some traces of Price Fountain on the browser that was not deleted during the preceding steps. This tool will scan the computer and check for presence of malicious applications as well as invalid browser entries that produces pop-ups.
1. Follow the link below to download the tool called AdwCleaner.
2. When the download has completed, please close all running programs on the computer especially browsers affected by Price Fountain.
3. Browse the location of the downloaded file and double-click on adwcleaner_Ver.exe to start running the tool. Then, click on Scan button.
4. AdwCleaner searches the computer for malicious programs, extensions, plug-ins, adware, and any items that may be associated to Price Fountain. It will also check for suspicious entries on browser settings that is associated with .
5. Clean or Remove all suspicious and harmful items identified after the thorough scan.
6. After the cleanup procedure, rebooting the computer is required to finalize the removal of detected threats.
Check if your internet browser application is no longer being bothered by Price Fountain. If the browser hijacker still persists, please continue with the steps below to reset internet programs to default settings.
Optional : Reset Internet Browser Program
Cleaning your internet browser from clutter and unwanted add-on/extension is a must when dealing with Price Fountain. The procedure below discuss on resetting various browsers to its default state.
Restore Google Chrome to Default Settings
Resetting Google Chrome to default settings is helpful in deleting hard-to-remove extension such as from Price Fountain. This method is highly advisable to perform if you have difficulty in removing unwanted extension.
1. Open Google Chrome Internet browser.
2. On the address bar, type chrome://settings/reset and press Enter key.
3. Under Reset and clean up section, choose Restore settings to their original defaults.
4. Click Reset settings button to clear all entries of Price Fountain.
5. Close the existing tab and restart Google Chrome. That should have removed Price Fountain extension and associated objects.
Reset Mozilla Firefox to Default
This section describes how to remove unwanted extension from Firefox that may be related to Price Fountain. This process can fix many browser issues by restoring Firefox to factory settings without affecting your essential information (bookmarks, browsing history, passwords, and Internet cookies) on the browser. If you desire to remove only specific extension, please see manual removal of add-on from Firefox.
1. Input the string about:support on Firefox web address and press Enter on keyboard.
2. You will now see the Troubleshooting Information page of Mozilla Firefox.
3. You will notice a section on upper-right corner of the screen stating Give Firefox a tune up. Click the Refresh Firefox button.
4. If confirmation window appears, click Refresh Firefox to continue.
5. Firefox browser will close and start the resetting process. When done, it will display a list of restored data. Price Fountain should be gone by now. Click Finish to open a fresh version of Firefox.
Restore Internet Explorer to Default Settings
1. Open Internet Explorer and navigate to top menu. Click Tools, and then Internet Options.
2. Select Advanced tab on Internet Options window.
3. On lower part of the window, under Reset Internet Explorer Settings area, click the Reset button. Please see image for reference. Your data like favorites, bookmark, and history will remain in the browser. However, this process may delete add-ons by Price Fountain and other unknown objects. If you prefer to carry out the procedure manually, please add-on removal from Internet Explorer.
Post Last Modified On September 25, 2020