Popotic is malware that can do more harm than regular computer virus infection. Upon its entry on the computer, it can drop supplemental malicious executable files that can perform unique functions to further dominate the compromised system. With these extra codes, Popotic renders local antivirus program useless by disabling its real-time scanner and deter the download of necessary updates. It can also block victim’s access to several websites and this was accomplished by altering Windows Hosts file to make security sites and decryption tools online sources unreachable.
What makes Popotic unique than common viruses is it falls under the category of ransomware. This class of computer infection can encrypt greater part of user’s files and deny access onto it until attackers are able to collect the ransom money. Infected files are left in inoperable status by encrypting it with complex algorithm and appending .popotic extension as a suffix.
As stated in the ransom note “HOW-TO-RESTORE-FILES.txt” file, people behind Popotic ransomware are asking for EUR 900 to successfully restore all files back to normal. The document also emphasize that using alternative decryption tool may corrupt the files, which can result to permanent damage. Here is an excerpt from Popotic ransom note.
! STRICTLY FORBIDDEN TO USE NON-ORIGIN DECRYPTION TOOLS OR MODIFY ENCRYPTED FILES – THEY WILL BE LOST !
Your server have been attacked by an Unathorized user.
All your files have been encrypted with RSA private key to safe them from unathorized access.
To RESTORE all your files back, please follow this few simple steps:
1. Our service charges a payment for private key decryption tool;
2. After payment being processed, provide your Personal Key;
3. Receive your personal decryption tool;
4. Run the decryption tool and successfully restore all your files back to normal state.
100% Successful restoring of all files
100% Satisfaction guarantee
100% Safe and secure service
How to Remove Popotic Ransomware
Ransomware files are placed deeply into the system and on various locations, thus, thorough scanning is vital to totally remove Popotic virus. Aside from our suggested tool, you may also run your own security program.
Though affected files may be impossible to decrypt due to complexity of the encryption, you can still try recovery method like alternative tool, Shadow Explorer or Previous Version as described below.
Stage 1: Scan the Computer with Anti-Malware Tool
1. Download free anti-malware scanner called MalwareBytes Anti-Malware.
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Download Link (this will open a new window)
2. After downloading, install the program. It may run automatically or you have to double-click on the downloaded file MBSetup.exe.
3. Carry out the installation with default setup process.
4. After the installation process, click the Get Started button to launch the program.
5. Continue with the prompts until the main program opens.
6. On the main console, click on Scan to run most complete detection method to find hidden objects associated to Popotic ransomware.
7. Scanning may take a while. Please wait until the anti-malware tool is done with the checking.
8. Once the scan has completed, the tool will display the list of detected threats. Remove all identified malicious items and restart the computer if necessary.
Stage 2: Double-check for Popotic’s leftover with Microsoft’s Malicious Software Removal Tool
1. Download the free scanner called Malicious Software Removal Tool.
Malicious Software Removal Tool Download Link (this will open a new window)
2. The tool automatically checks the operating system and suggest appropriate download version. Click on Download button to begin. Save the file to a convenient location, preferably on Desktop.
3. After downloading the file, Windows will prompt that download has completed. Click Run to start scanning for Popotic ransomware. Another option is to browse the location folder and double click on the file to run.
4. The tool will display Welcome screen, click Next. Please note the message “This tool is not a replacement for an antivirus product.” You must understand that this program is made specifically to find and remove malware, viruses, Trojans, and other harmful elements on the computer. It was not designed to protect the computer.
5. Next, you will see Scan Type. Please choose Full Scan to ensure that all Popotic ransom virus entities and other harmful files left on the computer will be found and removed. For advanced computer user, you can opt for Customized Scan, if there are other drives or folders you wanted to include in this scan.
6. Full scan may take a while, please wait for Malicious Software Removal Tool to complete the tasks. However, you may cancel the scan anytime by clicking on the Cancel button.
7. After scanning, the tool will reveal all identified threats. There may be other threats that our first scan fails to detect. Please remove/delete all detected items.
8. When removal procedure is complete, you may now close Malicious Software Removal Tool. We hope that Popotic ransomware have been completely deleted from the computer. Please restart Windows to proceed with the normal operation.
Stage 3 : Unlocking files with Popotic Decryption Tool
Tools that may decrypt files infected by Popotic is not yet available at this time. We will update this section once the tool is on hand.
In the meantime, please try the options below.
Option 1: Windows Previous Version Tool
Windows Vista and Windows 7 have a feature called Previous Versions. However, this tool is only usable if restore point was made prior to Popotic ransomware infection. To use this tool and recover files affected by the virus, please follow these steps:
1. Open My Computer or Windows Explorer.
2. Right-click on the affected files or folders. From the drop-down list, please click on Restore previous versions.
3. New window will open display all backup copy of files and folders you wanted to recover. Choose the appropriate file and click on Open, Copy, or Restore. Restoring selected files overwrites the current encrypted files on the computer.
Option 2: Use ShadowExplorer to restore files encrypted by Popotic Ransomware
Just like Previous Version tool, ShadowExplorer is taking advantage of shadow copy created by Windows. This tool allows you to retrieve older version of files before it was encrypted by Popotic ransomware.
1. Download ShadowExplorer from the official web site.
2. Install the program with the default settings.
3. The program should run automatically after installation. If not, double-click on ShadowExplorer icon.
4. You can see the drop-down list on top of the console. Please select proper drive and the most recent point-in-time shadow copies of files you wish to restore prior to Popotic ransomware infection.
5. Right-click on the Drive, Folder, or File you wish to restore and click Export…
6. Lastly, ShadowExplorer will prompt for location where you want to save the copy of recovered files.