Adware like Pocket Rebates can sneak into the computer silently and commit several unwanted changes on the internet browser applications including Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox. The unsolicited changes could affect the homepage because Pocket Rebates is going to add various links and toolbars that can confuse web users. Moreover, Pocket Rebates injects browser helper object on the internet software in order to display unrelenting pop-up ads while web user is surfing the internet.
Like most adware, Pocket Rebates is also equipped with monitoring module so that it can track the online habit of web users. It can log web data like search keywords, visited pages, favorite websites, IP address, and many more. Soon, it these data falls into the hands of cyber criminals, user may face a great trouble known as privacy theft.
How Pocket Rebates sneaks inside the computer?
Common ways of penetration include installing freeware where it comes with. The majority of computer users have no knowledge of this tactic from adware manufacturers. Normally, malicious browser extension, such as Pocket Rebates is built into the freeware or shareware programs and because it comes as a software package, the main application and the extra file run a concurrent installation. Subsequently, Pocket Rebates was immediately included in the Internet program as a browser extension, add-on, or plug-in.
Next to freeware bundles, online computer user can get the Pocket Rebates adware by accessing malicious ads, particularly those that are disguised as a software update and essential add-ons. Downloading and installing such executable file type can load up Pocket Rebates or any adware of one sort.
The effects of Pocket Rebates on browser application
Being an ad-supported software or Adware for short, Pocket Rebates can cause excessive advertising display which may be too annoying. It shows the ads that superimpose each other, which distract users from online browsing activities. Moreover, Pocket Rebates is able to set off redirects that may land the browser pages to sites that hosts adware or malware.
Pocket Rebates Removal Procedure
Below is a systematic instruction that is very useful in getting rid of the potentially unwanted program (PUP) from compromised Windows computer. Aside from removing the malicious browser extension, this guide is also helpful in deleting browser hijacker and pop-ups.
In order to totally eliminate the threat, it is vital to follow the process in exact manner.
Step 1 : Delete Pocket Rebates Browser Extension
Most adware and unwanted programs are using a program called browser extension to be able to take over the settings of internet applications. Therefore, we highly recommend to check and remove the extension that is closely related to Pocket Rebates.
Remove Pocket Rebates Extension from Google Chrome
1. Open Google Chrome browser.
2. Type chrome://extensions/ in the address bar and press Enter on keyboard.
3. Find Pocket Rebates or relevant entry and remove it from Google Chrome browser.
Uninstall Pocket Rebates Extension from Mozilla Firefox
1. Open Mozilla Firefox browser.
2. Type about:addons in the address bar and press Enter on keyboard.
3. Choose Extensions on sidebar menu.
4. Look for object that is pertaining to Pocket Rebates and remove it from the browser.
After deleting the malicious browser extension, it is expected that Pocket Rebates is also gone from the homepage.
Remove Pocket Rebates Add-ons from Internet Explorer and Edge Browser
1. Open Internet Explorer program.
2. Go to top Menu and click Tools. Then, select Manage Add-ons from the drop-down list.
3. Look for and Remove or Disable entries of Pocket Rebates from Toolbars and Extension. Additionally, delete unwanted entry from Search Providers section.
4. Close the window and restart Internet Explorer.
If Pocket Rebates is still present on the IE browser and there are still unwanted homepage and pop-ups, another option is to remove the adware from Windows Control Panel.
5. Press Windows Key + R and then, type appwiz.cpl command.
6. Program and Features window will open. Arrange the list in chronological manner with recently installed applications on top. To do this, click on 'Installed On' column.
7. Select Pocket Rebates or recently installed unwanted entry. Then, click on Uninstall to remove it from Windows system.
Step 2 : Scan the computer with Sophos Antivirus
To remove Pocket Rebates automatically, scanning the computer with this powerful anti-virus tool is recommended. This scanner does not just uncover known threats like viruses or malware, it is also effective in discovering browser hijacker like Pocket Rebates that slows down online browsing activities.
1. Download Sophos Virus Removal Tool from the link below. Save the file on your computer where you can easily access it.
2. Once the download completes, browse the location of the file. Double-click to run the program and begin the install process.
3. On first windows of installation wizard, click Next to continue. Then, it will display the program’s License Agreement. You need to Accept the terms in order to proceed. If Windows prompts for User Account Control, please click Yes to proceed.
4. On succeeding windows, click Next or Continue to carry on with the installation. After completing the installation process, Launch Sophos Virus Removal Tool.
5. Internet connection is required when running this scanner in order to download important updates. Make sure that everything is up-to-date to effectively remove malicious program like Pocket Rebates.
6. Click the button to carry out the Scan. This will check the system for presence of malicious objects, malware, and viruses. The tool reveals items that were found linked to Pocket Rebates and other suspicious entities. Be sure to remove all identified threats.
The above procedures should have totally eliminated the Pocket Rebates browser hijacker. However, if you found that there are still remnants of the threat, please proceed to manual removal of associated objects as outlined below.
Step 3 : Scan and Delete Adware with AdwCleaner
In addition to the procedure, we suggest scanning the computer with AdwCleaner tool. Possibly, there are some traces of Pocket Rebates on the browser that was not deleted during the preceding steps. This tool will scan the computer and check for presence of malicious applications as well as invalid browser entries that produces hijacking, redirects, and pop-ups.
1. Follow the link below to download the tool called AdwCleaner.
2. When the download has completed, please close all running programs on the computer especially browsers affected by Pocket Rebates.
3. Browse the location of the downloaded file and double-click on adwcleaner_Ver.exe to start running the tool. Then, click on Scan button.
4. AdwCleaner searches the computer for malicious programs, extensions, plug-ins, adware, and any items that may be associated to Pocket Rebates. It will also check for suspicious entries on browser settings that is associated with the hijacker.
5. Clean or Remove all suspicious and harmful items identified after the thorough scan.
6. After the cleanup procedure, rebooting the computer is required to finalize the removal of detected threats.
Check if your internet browser application is no longer being bothered by Pocket Rebates. If the browser hijacker still persists, please continue with the steps below to reset internet programs to default settings.
Optional : Reset Internet Browser Program
Cleaning your internet browser from clutter and unwanted add-on/extension is a must when dealing with Pocket Rebates. The procedure below discuss on resetting various browsers to its default state.
Restore Google Chrome to Default Settings
Resetting Google Chrome to default settings is helpful in deleting hard-to-remove extension such as from Pocket Rebates. This method is highly advisable to perform if you have difficulty in removing unwanted extension.
1. Open Google Chrome Internet browser.
2. On the address bar, type chrome://settings/reset and press Enter key.
3. Under Reset and clean up section, choose Restore settings to their original defaults.
4. Click Reset settings button to clear all entries of Pocket Rebates.
5. Close the existing tab and restart Google Chrome. That should have removed Pocket Rebates extension and associated objects.
Reset Mozilla Firefox to Default
This section describes how to remove unwanted extension from Firefox that may be related to Pocket Rebates. This process can fix many browser issues by restoring Firefox to factory settings without affecting your essential information (bookmarks, browsing history, passwords, and Internet cookies) on the browser. If you desire to remove only specific extension, please see manual removal of add-on from Firefox.
1. Input the string about:support on Firefox web address and press Enter on keyboard.
2. You will now see the Troubleshooting Information page of Mozilla Firefox.
3. You will notice a section on upper-right corner of the screen stating Give Firefox a tune up. Click the Refresh Firefox button.
4. If confirmation window appears, click Refresh Firefox to continue.
5. Firefox browser will close and start the resetting process. When done, it will display a list of restored data. Pocket Rebates should be gone by now. Click Finish to open a fresh version of Firefox.
Restore Internet Explorer to Default Settings
1. Open Internet Explorer and navigate to top menu. Click Tools, and then Internet Options.
2. Select Advanced tab on Internet Options window.
3. On lower part of the window, under Reset Internet Explorer Settings area, click the Reset button. Please see image for reference. Your data like favorites, bookmark, and history will remain in the browser. However, this process may delete add-ons by Pocket Rebates and other unknown objects. If you prefer to carry out the procedure manually, please add-on removal from Internet Explorer.