Google Chrome extension called PlayJunkie Start may appear as safe browser extension. It claims to be useful especially when user is inclined to online games. It is endorsed as extension for quick games click-and-visit experience. However, during our own tests, it is observed that PlayJunkie Start is part of large group of potentially unwanted program (PUP) that also created StreamJunkie Search, FilmsJunkie Search, Music Junkie, Sport Junkie, and many more. This type of threat usually infiltrates the computer without user’s consent.
A number of freeware hosted on various websites are being utilized recently to spread PlayJunkie Start. It can be an added content to free utilities, games, media player, download manager, and bogus Adobe flash player update. Hence, be watchful when obtaining games especially if the source is unpopular. It is still highly favorable to obtain program only from official websites and legitimate partners.
Always be cautious when installing freeware to avoid getting compromised with PUP like PlayJunkie Start. Run the installer package in ‘Custom’ mode. This way, there is a chance to exclude surplus software and install only the preferred application. In addition, scanning the downloaded file is highly recommended to check if it contains malicious objects.
Removal of PlayJunkie Start is the only way to restore the browser to its normal working condition. On this page is a simple guide to get rid of the threat easily. As suggested, thoroughly scan the computer with virus and malware removal tool to locate and delete deeply hidden files associated to PlayJunkie Start.
Please note that there is another variant of this adware and it is called PlayJunkie Search. It claims to be a useful Google Chrome extension that is helpful in searching the web for free unlimited games.
PlayJunkie Start Removal Procedure
Below is a systematic instruction that is very useful in getting rid of the Adware from compromised Windows computer. Aside from removing the malicious browser extension, this guide is also helpful in deleting pop-ups and redirects.
In order to totally eliminate the threat, it is vital to follow the process in exact manner.
Step 1 : Delete PlayJunkie Start Browser Extension
Most adware and unwanted programs are using a program called browser extension to be able to take over the settings of internet applications. Therefore, we highly recommend to check and remove the extension that is closely related to PlayJunkie Start.
Remove PlayJunkie Start from Windows (Internet Explorer or Edge Browser)
1. Press Windows Key + R and then, type appwiz.cpl command.
2. Program and Features window will open. Arrange the list in chronological manner with recently installed applications on top. To do this, click on 'Installed On' column.
3. Select PlayJunkie Start or recently installed unwanted entry. Then, click on Uninstall to remove it from Windows system.
If PlayJunkie Start is still present on the IE browser and there are still homepage and pop-ups, another option is to remove the adware from the browser settings.
4. Open Internet Explorer program.
5. Go to top Menu and click Tools. Then, select Manage Add-ons from the drop-down list.
6. Look for and Remove or Disable entries of PlayJunkie Start from Toolbars and Extension. Additionally, delete the same object from Search Providers section.
7. Close the window and restart Internet Explorer.
Remove PlayJunkie Start Extension from Google Chrome
1. Open Google Chrome browser.
2. Type chrome://extensions/ in the address bar and press Enter on keyboard.
3. Find PlayJunkie Start or relevant entry and remove it from Google Chrome browser.
Uninstall PlayJunkie Start Extension from Mozilla Firefox
1. Open Mozilla Firefox browser.
2. Type about:addons in the address bar and press Enter on keyboard.
3. Choose Extensions on sidebar menu.
4. Look for object that is pertaining to PlayJunkie Start and remove it from the browser.
After deleting the malicious browser extension, it is expected that pop-ups and other troubles are gone from the browser.
Step 2 : Scan the computer with Anti-malware Program
To remove PlayJunkie Start automatically, scanning the computer with this powerful anti-malware tool is recommended. This scanner does not just uncover known threats like viruses or malware, it is also effective in discovering adware like PlayJunkie Start.
1. Download the free anti-malware scanner called MalwareBytes Anti-Malware.
2. After downloading, install the program. It may run automatically or you have to double-click on the downloaded file MBSetup.exe.
3. Proceed with the installation using only the default setup. If you need the complete setup procedure, it is available on the download page.
4. After the installation process, click Get Started to run the program.
5. Continue with the prompts until the main program opens.
6. On Malwarebytes Anti-malware console, click on Scan to run the most comprehensive detection method and find any hidden items linked to PlayJunkie Start.
7. Wait for the anti-malware to finish scanning the computer.
8. When scanning is done, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware will display the list of identified threats. Remove all identified threats including PlayJunkie Start and restart the computer to finalized the scan process.
The above procedures should have totally eliminated the PlayJunkie Start adware. However, if you found that there are still remnants of the threat, please proceed to manual removal of associated objects as outlined below.
Step 3 : Scan and Delete Adware with AdwCleaner
In addition to the procedure, we suggest scanning the computer with AdwCleaner tool. Possibly, there are some traces of PlayJunkie Start on the browser that was not deleted during the preceding steps. This tool will scan the computer and check for presence of malicious applications as well as invalid browser entries that produces annoying pop-ups.
1. Follow the link below to download the tool called AdwCleaner.
2. When the download has completed, please close all running programs on the computer especially browsers affected by PlayJunkie Start.
3. Browse the location of the downloaded file and double-click on adwcleaner_Ver.exe to start running the tool. Then, click on Scan button.
4. AdwCleaner searches the computer for malicious programs, extensions, plug-ins, adware, and any items that may be associated to PlayJunkie Start. It will also check for suspicious entries on browser settings.
5. Clean or Remove all suspicious and harmful items identified after the thorough scan.
6. After the cleanup procedure, rebooting the computer is required to finalize the removal of detected threats.
Check if your internet browser application is no longer being bothered by PlayJunkie Start. If the adware still persists, please continue with the steps below to reset internet programs to default settings.
Optional : Reset Internet Browser Program
Cleaning your internet browser from clutter and unwanted add-on/extension is a must when dealing with PlayJunkie Start. The procedure below discuss on resetting various browsers to its default state.
Restore Google Chrome to Default Settings
Resetting Google Chrome to default settings is helpful in deleting hard-to-remove extension such as from PlayJunkie Start. This method is highly advisable to perform if you have difficulty in removing unwanted extension.
1. Open Google Chrome Internet browser.
2. On the address bar, type chrome://settings/reset and press Enter key.
3. Under Reset and clean up section, choose Restore settings to their original defaults.
4. Click Reset settings button to clear all entries of PlayJunkie Start.
5. Close the existing tab and restart Google Chrome. That should have removed PlayJunkie Start extension and associated objects.
Reset Mozilla Firefox to Default
This section describes how to remove unwanted extension from Firefox that may be related to PlayJunkie Start. This process can fix many browser issues by restoring Firefox to factory settings without affecting your essential information (bookmarks, browsing history, passwords, and Internet cookies) on the browser. If you desire to remove only specific extension, please see manual removal of add-on from Firefox.
1. Input the string about:support on Firefox web address and press Enter on keyboard.
2. You will now see the Troubleshooting Information page of Mozilla Firefox.
3. You will notice a section on upper-right corner of the screen stating Give Firefox a tune up. Click the Refresh Firefox button.
4. If confirmation window appears, click Refresh Firefox to continue.
5. Firefox browser will close and start the resetting process. When done, it will display a list of restored data. PlayJunkie Start should be gone by now. Click Finish to open a fresh version of Firefox.
Restore Internet Explorer to Default Settings
1. Open Internet Explorer and navigate to top menu. Click Tools, and then Internet Options.
2. Select Advanced tab on Internet Options window.
3. On lower part of the window, under Reset Internet Explorer Settings area, click the Reset button. Please see image for reference. Your data like favorites, bookmark, and history will remain in the browser. However, this process may delete add-ons by PlayJunkie Start and other unknown objects. If you prefer to carry out the procedure manually, please add-on removal from Internet Explorer.